Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rancher, Farmer, Fisherman - Interesting book/documentary

1,665 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fightingfarmer09
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rancher Farmer Fisherman is upcoming documentary based on the book that tells the story of conservation from the perspective of those actually working the land.

Currently reading the book and it is very good so far.

http://rancherfarmerfisherman.com

It will be on Discovery Channel on Aug 31
plowboy1065
Dale Earnhardts Stache
fightingfarmer09
On now. Good watch.
OldCamp
Watched this on Discovery On Demand.
I loved the segments on the rancher and farmer.
I was a little conflicted or alarmed on the fishing / red snapper side.
It was extremely one sided from the commercial point of view. Has anyone who is familiar with the red snapper fishery seen the show and if so can you comment on the opinions expressed there?

Does the commercial side support some type of red snapper tag or lottery system for recreational anglers in order to maintain a quota for recreational anglers or do they want shorter and shorter seasons for recreational anglers?

I find it hard to believe that recreational anglers are really putting a dent in snapper populations compared to commercial guys
fightingfarmer09
The book goes into much more detail on the fishing side and how the quotas are over shot. I think they had studies showing that recreational quotas are over shot like 2-3x's the allotment.

Commercial guys (in the book) were working with guides and recreational groups to move them to a similar system and away from the "derby system". I think the system supported was similar to a tag/lottery system. But this would allow for year round fishing targeting snapper.

Lots of data was discussed in the books.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.