Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help w/ Problem Bear

30,802 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, we definitely have a problem bear in our neighborhood (in my opinion). It is s VERY large brown boar (black bear), who doesn't give a rip about people being around. I've had him basically try to walk right up to me in my front yard.

2 weeks ago, it broke into my living room with all the lights on and everyone home. About 30 mins later, it broke into (and got all the way in) my buddy's house at the other end of the circle. I could go on and list MANY other run ins I have had with this bear this summer, as well as several other neighbors.

After the bear crashed in our screen window and I found him 1/2 way on the couch, I looked outside, and you could clearly see tracks (from mud) where he came on the front porch, came to the front door, and there were claw marks on the door by the frame. I wondered if it was coincidence, or it was really trying to get in the door.

Well, tonight I had another problem. Just about an hour ago, I was watching TV quietly in the bedroom, and I heard a noise in the living room. It very distinctly sounded like a door handle, but I thought "naw, I bet that was the dishwasher turning off". I thought it was best to go investigate anyways.

Got the dog up, and she was right beside me. As I flipped on the kitchen light (first room I come to), I heard a thump out front, and the dog's hackles stood up and she went on edge immediately. I sent the dog, and stepped back to grab my shotgun (which is now mounted in a micro vault on the wall). Dog was barking at the front door, but I didn't see anything as I turned on the porch lights.

I looked down, and could CLEARLY see wet bear tracks on the deck through the window. They were big tracks. I could clearly see where it walked trough the wife's daisies (which get smoothered down often, I assumed from deer), stepped up and came to the front door, then walked off the side of the deck. Upon closer inspection, there was a moist smudge (don't know how else to describe it) next to the door jam, and some more smudges along the window in the middle of the door. Then I noticed a little mud on the freaking door handle, and scratch marks behind the door handle (which were not there before) with a couple drops of water dripping down. It was blatantly obvious that SOB had walked straight up to our door and tested the handle!!!! Thank God we had the door lock, dead bolted, and I installed an extra bolt high up (for kids). Within 5 minutes, the wet tracks had all dried up and disappeared. God knows how many times this mofo had done this, and I have not heard him.

I had the wife push down on the handle as I was back in the bedroom, and it was exactly the same noise I heard. This freaking bear is running around testing doors like the velociraptors on Jurassic Park...

So, I need your help OB- if you have experience with bears in neighborhoods, I need to know what ACTUALLY works to deter them. I know all the crap google says, I need to know what really and truly works. My wife is thoroughly freaked out, and I have to travel for work this weekend.

We already have a pretty stout defense of bear spray and guns locked and stashed. We are good if one actually comes in. I want to know how to get this dude to leave my freaking house alone, I'm getting really tired of his BS, and I'm worried this saga is heading towards an inevitable conclusion.

My plans are currently- 1. To install a round door handle (instead of lever). 2. To make "bear welcome mats" for front door and windows. Your thoughts???

Also- would a motion sensor security light do any good? I've heard various opinions. A warden told me lights work for lions, but the black bears don't care. At least I could see outside without having to walk to the door and flip on the light???

I'm going to be hanging a trail cam on my front porch, but I honestly hope it never gets a pic of him. I just need to know if this was a freak occurrence, because evidence would seem to suggest this is a pattern.

Any other suggestions? (Beside keeping trash picked up and all windows/doors locked- we are doing that). Thanks for the advice. Sorry for writing a whole book- it is middle of the night and I can't sleep now...

AggieArcher17
AG
In.
cupofjoe04
AG
Oh, and if anyone wants to pick up a leftover bear tag, I have pretty reasonable guide fees... ha ha, jk! The national forest starts literally across the street from me, and I have been noticing a regular routine from this guy. Much more regular than any of the others I've seen in our canyon.

I have absolutely zero interest in hunting a bear- but this guy is really pushing his luck!
Alte Schule
I bet this is around the Lufkin/Diboll area next to Davy Crockett National Forest right? All kidding aside it would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located. Please tell us your not in Texas.
Cromagnum
AG
Tag or no tag, if a bear broke my window and started coming inside it's getting blasted.
OnlyForNow
AG
If the bear got into your house, just kill it.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) Call your local warden

B) Motion activated sprinkler?

C) Slugs. Bears in houses deserve them
BurnetAggie99
OasisMan
AG
motion activated bear spray!

and where is this
45-70Ag
AG
Sorry for laughing but the comparison to velociraptors in Jurassic park was entertaining

I don't know anything about bears but I hope something happens to that bear before it actually gets ahold of someone.
Agmechanic
AG
That bear needs to be put down
IDAGG
AG
I don't know what state you are in but in my state when a bear gets that chummy with humans the F&G department either relocates or euthanizes the bear before it hurts someone. I would call your F&G department and complain. This bear is going to wind up dead anyway.

This is an example from two weeks ago:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2017/07/black-bear-trapped-euthanized-north-ketchum
ursusguy
AG
If they are testing door handles, which is not that unheard of, it's time for it to go. Let the warden know, they may set up a trap. This would likely be a 48 hour bear.....I don't usually say this, but I'd shoot it.

Motion activated lights are pretty ho hum. It might work a couple times from the shock factor, but once they get used to it, they may take a liking to it.
Sean98
AG
This bear needs to end up dead.
Bird Poo
AG
RedlineAg08
Feed him blueberries for a few months and then shoot him. I hear blueberry bear is delicious
Oogway
I remember your post from awhile back when the bear tried to come inside to watch tv. This bear is obviously from Chicago and is scouting locations for a watch party since football is right around the corner.

Seriously, your scenario sounds scary and regardless of bear deterrent, putting up motion lights seems smart if only for the reasons you stated. Better to see what you're up against plus it may keep other unwanteds away.

What do your local authorities suggest? Temporary electric fencing? Punji sticks?
I hope something can convince the bear to move along, otherwise it looks like it will need to be put down for community safety.
YogiBeers
AG
Watch listed so I can find a way to protect my family if the ever make it to Grapevine.
gig em 02
1. Contact every able bodied male in the neighborhood
2. Have a big BBQ
3. Wait for the bear to show up
4. Kill the bear
Sean98
AG
Oogway said:

What do your local authorities suggest? Temporary electric fencing? Punji sticks?
I hope something can convince the bear to move along, otherwise it looks like it will need to be put down for community safety.

Here's the real issue. He can electrify mats, or put up fencing, but it sounds like this bear has learned, people = food, and he doesn't care anymore. That means property damage at a minimum, and pet/people damage is possible. If you are successful at moving him in from your house he's just going to go next door. He needs to die.
RedlineAg08
Definitely needs to die. I'd just see if I could flavor him up a bit first.
JD05AG
AG
Cuterebra
AG
Is OP the guy that trained his dog to "clear a room"?
P.U.T.U
AG
Alte Schule said:

I bet this is around the Lufkin/Diboll area next to Davy Crockett National Forest right? All kidding aside it would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located. Please tell us your not in Texas.
From a previous thread probably close to White Rock Lake...
Oogway
Yes, I believe so.

Sean98--that is likely to be the outcome. I suppose I am rueful that a bear smart enough to figure out good sources for food isn't smart enough to move along for long term survival. But then again, us humans do the same thing and we have bigger brains!
They are beautiful creatures, but yeah, this one is going to be bear steak.
KellerAg98
Put up a doorbell with a camera and motion sensor.

It would be interesting to see what all is stopping by your house at night.
chiken
AG
I get that human lives are more important, but I hate that a bear is going most likely die from this.

You're in HIS backyard. :/
Brush Country
Your F&G folks should be able to quickly remedy this for you.

Unless you're in California. Then your screwed.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Motion light with a daylight sensor. Break a bulb and use the filament stubs to rig a 110v hotwire. That should light his ass up.
ursusguy
AG
I know it is a stereotype, but California moves on this faster than most states.
ursusguy
AG
They are incredibly smart, but they are also incredibly lazy. Once they find an easy source of calories, they are hard to flip back. That means they got a reward of food (could just be food trash). If you can deter them BEFORE the get a reward, they are pretty easy to deal with. They can hang around, some times for years, with little to no issue.

Another issue, and why you have to nip this stuff quickly, they are intelligent and will learn directly from mothers or simply watching from a distance.
gig em 02
chiken said:

I get that human lives are more important, but I hate that a bear is going most likely die from this.

You're in HIS backyard. :/

You realize that humans are also animals right?

If a person walked into this bears den where it's babies were sleeping and tried to take its food what do you think would happen?

Would you tell the bear "well you shouldn't have moved into a cave so close to humans, you were in their backyard!"
gig em 02
Is it pretty common for bears to keep going back inside homes rather than look for food trash outside? That's the part that would really get me
OnlyForNow
AG
Would tazing a bear be effective?
Wizard
OP you ever heard of the Castle Doctrine?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.