Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alaska jobs are outdoors, right?

4,423 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agsalaska
jetescamilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry for double posting this in the Job Board but I think this type of posting should be catered to an outdoors person 1st, then to people looking for a job. Perhaps there's a person here who loves the outdoors and always thought about moving to Alaska but is not actively looking for a job. If you're a civil engineer with a structural background then I've got the opportunity for you. See below...

We're trying to fill our last position from when we had a block of people retired some time ago. The state of Alaska has a of full time position that we are advertising for structural EIT's or students whom may be graduating in the Summer or December and have an interest in bridge design. The web link to the online application can be found below:

This position is open to all applicants nationwide and the application period ends 8/16/17. This is a "Flex" position and based on the candidates experience they could come in as an Engineering Assistant (EA) 1, EA2 or EA3. That being said, a new grad will most likely come in at an EA1.

This position would be a great entry into bridge design performing all aspects bridge including design, load ratings, and my favorite portion of the job during the summers, bridge inspection. During the summers there will be a fair amount of travel across the state of Alaska, sometimes to very remotes areas. At these positions we pay overtime for any work outside the standard work week of 37.5 hours (5- 7.5 hour days of work per week). The starting salary for the EA1 is at $55,956, however advancement at these entry level positions does happen fast. A younger engineer here moved from the EA1 position to the EA3 position within 2 years and that base salary currently sits at $73,728. Again, this does not include the overtime pay (1.5 X's) that is common during our busy summer inspection season.

Although monetarily we may have a hard time competing with other companies, the State benefits are pretty good. We work a 37.5 hour work day (5 - 7.5 hour days). Insurance is cheap, have 1 to 1 match for 5% of salary, as a State we have opted out of Social Security and instead that money is dumped into another retirement account of 5% that you have control of...and it's matched 1 to 1.

If you are interested and have a few more questions regarding the position feel free to ask.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/alaska/jobs/1794888/engineering-assistant-i-ii-iii-pcn-25-dot281

I'll make it more outdoors related by sharing an image of my son last weekend jazzed about catching salmon by himself for the 1st time. His 4 to my 1. We were targeting pinks so he could actually real them in, I don't think he's quite capable of landing a king.

Also, a pic of my house (on the left) in the winter...

Slided bread
AG
Brb going back to A&M for my engineering degree
stdeb11
AG
What about a mechanical engineer dreaming of Alaska? Timing right now probably wouldn't work out, but I did convince the fiance of 1 year of us living in Alaska somewhere down the road.
Bobcat-Ag
I like driving on bridges! Would that count as experience?
highvelocity
AG
Spawned out salmon makes for good jerky
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
AgEng06
AG
What about a TX PE with an Ag/Environmental background? I can learn to design a bridge in no time.
ursusguy
AG
I end up hanging out under a lot of Dallas bridges. So I know what they are not supposed to look like. Does that count?
carpe vinum
AG
Quote:

We work a 37.5 hour work day
I knew Alaska had longer days, but jeez...
OXDL45
AG
Went to Juneau for the WASHTO conference in June.

It was a great experience in Alaska.

Good opportunity for a young EA willing to move out that way.
WildcatAg
AG
Very nice position. I posted the information to our student listserve. If you're a new/nearly finished CE take advantage of this opportunity.

A few years ago it seemed like every Western national forest was looking to hire an civil to oversee their forest infrastructure. The job duties would read something like, "manage roads and drainage for 10,000 square miles of XXXXXX national forest." I was always tempted to apply, buy a cabin in the woods, and start drafting my manifesto.

BullSprig07
AG
I would do it just to be able to hunt dall sheep every year as a resident. Of course I'm not an engineer
AlaskanAg99
AG
Are people based out of Juneau or Anchorage?

Just be aware everything costs more up there.
Sean98
AG
I consider it a major failure on your part that you didn't do so.

(Then again, knowing your family, your fall back option was pretty good as well.)
Presley OBannons Sword
I would jump on this today if I could get my wife on board. Ugh. This sounds like my dream life.
ursusguy
AG
I always got that underlying vibe from you.
NoahAg
I've been to Alaska before. I'm not an engineer, but my kids are really good at Minecraft. I can has application?
Sean98
AG
Have you seen his sketchy ass beard? He's a natural.
atmdds03
AG
As a dentist I occasionally make bridges. Does that count?
Sean98
AG
If we're all throwing our hat in the ring...

As a lobbyist I am conceptually aware of bridges to nowhere... Pick me, picked me!
jetescamilla
AG
stdeb11 - Actually mechanicals will technically meet the minimum qualifications for a potential candidate. The Engineering Assistant position just requires an Engineering Degree from an ABET accredited school. If your interview skills are polished there's a chance you could get a position.

AgEng06 - See my response to stdeb11. However these flex positions we advertised are typically for non-PE's we have higher positions we advance people to when they get their PE's

Quote:

I knew Alaska had longer days, but jeez...

Yeah, but our winters are sweet

OXDL45 - Great to hear some Ags made it out here. I'll occasionally get stopped when I'm downtown by tourists thinking I'm on their cruise with them. I always like seeing the A&M gear around town.

WildcatAg - Thanks, I've also given it to Dr Lowery who spreads it around to his students.

AlaskanAg99 - We are based out of Juneau. Yes the cost of living is much higher than Texas. However, we've adjusted well enough. Alaska is also the least taxed state, we don't have a State income Tax, our city sales tax is 5%, and we get a PFD amout of $1,000 per year just to live here. Additionally I don't spend money "going out" like we used to when we lived in Phoenix or Texas. There's no fancy restaurants, top golf, or places to take the kids to blow money on. Instead we go hiking with our fishing poles or rent a forest cabin for a day or two and snowshoe to it. Additionally, I'm home by 4:45 every day because my job doesn't "expect" me to push 10 hour days and then fight traffic home. We have enough time to grab poles and fish in the late afternoon and make a home cooked meal. We must have made 50 pro/con lists before moving out here and "family time" was our tie breaker every time.

NoahAg - Soundsl like your kid has potential to apply...not you.

Sean98 - Alaska need lobbyists.

saltydog13
AG
I knew I should've stuck with engineering
stdeb11
AG
Thanks for the response...you dang sure didn't make it any less tempting. I did pass the FE. I'll give it some serious thought. Regardless, thanks for posting and getting me motivated to work towards that goal again.

I'm sure the cost of living can't be any worse than my current location of Boulder
AggieGunslinger
AG
Given the beard he was rocking last time I saw him I assume he's on draft three or four.
WildcatAg
AG
Sean98 said:

Have you seen his sketchy ass beard? He's a natural.
Oh don't you two worry. ursusguy is on the list for his constant protection of terrorist animals. Sean is on the list for his love of perfect grammar and spelling.

Gunslinger is not on the list because he has good taste in shotguns..........but his fancy truck makes him suspect.
Central Committee
AG
I would be fired for job abandonment during the king salmon run in the Cook Inlet, or the Russian River, or...
AlaskanAg99
AG
Fresh out of school I would have done something like this. It would be a Hella fun time.
jetescamilla
AG
This was originally an internship for me the summer before I graduated (2004). Had the best time of my life with the work, traveling to remote parts of AK, and the fishing/hiking I was able to fill on the weekends or long summer weekdays.

After working in the private side for 10 years I learned that the guys here are actually some of the better engineers in the industry and the job is all encompassing of bridge engineers have the ability to do. We have the opportunity to design full bridges, see them through construction, and inspect them. On the private side you're lucky if you ever leave the office or get a whole bridge to yourself. No only that but we're in the most volatile geographic climate with extreme temperatures and earthquakes. Engineers that work here have the skillset to go pretty much anywhere.

After a couple of years working on design build projects as a team leaders and putting in 60 to 80 hours a week in without extra compensation I was ready for a change. I bumped into my old Alaska colleagues at a conference and came home with a solution to fix my working life. Took a little bit to convince my pregnant wife (with our 2nd child) but the pro/con list always pointed to moving to Alaska. It was tough the 1st year or so but we're hitting stride now and becoming more and more "local". We've learned we have to get out to Seattle or Texas/Arizona for a vacation to hit that "reset button". We've now been here 3.5 years and built a house with an apartment that we use as a Vacation rental to offset the cost of living here. We told ourselves we'd give it 5 years but odds are we'll be here a little longer.
OXDL45
AG
Sounds like a great work-life balance. We got to visit a few of the touristy places and had a great time. The Alaskan brewery & beer was great as well.

Good luck with the search!
lshunter
AG
Very interested, I applied. Have been considering moving up to AK for a while now, perhaps the timing is right.
jetescamilla
AG
Quote:

Very interested, I applied. Have been considering moving up to AK for a while now, perhaps the timing is right.

Excellent!

Outdoor Board: 1
Job Network Board: 0

Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions. jesse dot escamilla at alaska dot gov

BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

This was originally an internship for me the summer before I graduated (2004). Had the best time of my life with the work, traveling to remote parts of AK, and the fishing/hiking I was able to fill on the weekends or long summer weekdays.
I'm planning to spend much/most of next or the following year exploring Alaska via bush plane. I'd like to pick your brain regarding that prospect, so please email me. I'll post mine below.

Edit: doh! Read the entire thread, dummy!
jetescamilla
AG
Replied back
agsalaska
agsalaska
AG
The laughing post was a total accident. I was just reading it and got carried away I guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.