Outdoors
Sponsored by

Robotic lawn mowers

637 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CanyonAg77
rwtxag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have one? Anybody have a friend who has one? I am considering one. Mows every day, so the folks who own them say they vastly improve the look and quality of your lawn--kind of like a golf course.

They are pricey, but if you factor the time, lawn quality, electric vs gas, maintenance issues, I'm thinking over time they pay for themselves.

Any feedback/discussion appreciated.
CanyonAg77
AG
You might see if there is a service available. I'm reading of people who provide and maintain robotic lawn mowers for a monthly fee. If it works, you can buy later.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/entrepreneurs/2017/03/27/robots-coming-cut-lawn-near-dallas-startup-robin-way
Josepi
AG
My sister recently took a trip to Sweden, and stayed at a friend's house out of town a bit. She said that whole driving through neighborhoods, literally every single house had a robotic mower. She's 100% convinced that they will be common in the US I'm the next 5-10 years.

I've watched some videos of the Husqvarna mowers, and they do look pretty cool. My concern would be theft. What keeps someone from picking up the mower and driving off with it. I know that they have some anti-theft features built in (they shut off if you tip them, if they get too far from the base, you need a passcode to operate it, etc...) , but I'm not sure how they help if someone takes the mower. There's probably something in place. I haven't done all of the research on it.
agchino
AG
Coworker got on the Robin introductory offer in DFW.

He still has to weed-eat and edge, but they are charging him less per month than the cost of hiring a crew to mow his line 3-4x a month. They put a perimeter line around his yard, and it basically runs in random patterns, hence the need for it to run everyday.

He also has to manually pick it up and put it in the front yard. Supposedly they are developing an auto-locking fence doggy door for it to eliminate that hassle.

It has built in GPS if someone steals it, it can phone home somehow, and locks itself out from operation, as mentioned before.
CanyonAg77
AG
As agchino says, if they are stolen, they don't work. So that lowers the possibility of theft. Someone could always steal one out of ignorance or meanness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.