Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need some advice on a riding mower for my dad

681 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stmichael
Stmichael
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

So my dad's got a house in Aggieland that I'm house sitting while I look for a job and he takes care of some family business in California. When I do finally get my first professional job, I'll almost certainly have to move out and leave the yard work to him. Normally not a problem, but he's 72 years old this year and his knees/back are showing it.

For the sake of my mom not worrying about him, I wanna get him a riding mower as soon as I can afford it, but I figure y'all would know the best one for his purposes. The yard is about 3/4 of an acre all told with about a quarter acre of it more or less untamed with lots of trees and weeds. We've got St. Augustine grass, if that makes a difference, and given his propensity for yard projects, if it has some light tractor functionality so much the better.

Any recommendations?
Love Gun
You can get a pretty decent Husqvarna from Lowe's for about $1600. Troybilts (red ones) are about $12-1400, but they don't float my boat. Had one and had many issues. Love my Husqvarna though and it'd be a solid gift for the old man
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Robotic
Muzzleblast
Are you thinking zero turn or tractor?

What's your budget?
Jason Ag
AG
Look at the JD 110 with a 42 inch deck, got one cheap off Craigslist works great. Seems like a solid design. Before this one I had a husqvarna 48 in deck, but I like this one much better. Not knocking husqvarna, but due to the 48" deck it had three blades (vs 2 on the 42") and one more belt. Plus the deck was really heavy when I needed to work on it, plus the smaller deck discharges better. The smaller mower also has a tighter turn radius.

o Get a quality brand, don't go super cheap. I like JD because I can get parts from the JD dealership.
o Get one on the smaller end (two blades), better turn radius, easier to work on, less moving parts.
EMY92
AG
If my dad had lived to 72, paying for a yard service would have been much better than a riding mower.
Jason Ag
AG
EMY92 said:

If my dad had lived to 72, paying for a yard service would have been much better than a riding mower.

This is the best option, but some men are to stubborn.

Stmichael
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

Look at the JD 110 with a 42 inch deck, got one cheap off Craigslist works great. Seems like a solid design. Before this one I had a husqvarna 48 in deck, but I like this one much better. Not knocking husqvarna, but due to the 48" deck it had three blades (vs 2 on the 42") and one more belt. Plus the deck was really heavy when I needed to work on it, plus the smaller deck discharges better. The smaller mower also has a tighter turn radius.

o Get a quality brand, don't go super cheap. I like JD because I can get parts from the JD dealership.
o Get one on the smaller end (two blades), better turn radius, easier to work on, less moving parts.

Sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the advice!
Stmichael
AG
EMY92 said:

Maybe once he finally gives it up, but for now it's one of the few things he still enjoys besides reading and fly fishing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.