Outdoors
Sponsored by

Close call...

4,175 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 88jrt06
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the things you have to wrap your mind around when you go on remote solo hunts is the possibility of getting injured way back in the sticks where you can't get help and no one is likely to find you. It's a bit the same living alone where a family member isn't likely to find you.

Well just now in the most mundane way ever I had one of those close calls. I just got back into town from Denver and it was 104* today. But we have a storm blowing in and it is really windy and cooled off a bit so I decided to quickly mow a little bit.

I've made about 2 swaths around my orchard and I'm watching the lightning in the distance when I feel a jolt on the mower. ... I'm afraid I hit something so I stop and look behind me. Nope. Didn't hit anything. Had about a 20' long dead branch, maybe 8-10" around fall 40 feet out of a big Walnut and crash behind me. It literally clipped the back of the mower 10" behind my head. I'm thinking if it got me it would have been less than ideal.

TLDnR... Limb fell and turned me into a scared little girl even though I didn't get injured at all.
agrams
AG
The only rational response is to cut down the walnut and send it to me..
magnumtmp
AG
agrams said:

The only rational response is to cut down the walnut and send it to me..

I'm in favor of this.

Excellent response.
always gig em
AG
Was at a stoplight in Austin couple weeks ago when this last storm hit and had lightning strike a bank about 30 yards caddy corner to my right. Just happened to be looking in that direction when it happened, saw the entire corner go dark, then heard the boom, then saw the flash and all wires around there fry. Just like that.

Light turns green and the minivan in front of me drives off really slow staring at the bank and I'm like wtf. I hauled ass around them and got home quick. As if I'd be any safer.
Potcake
AG
If it was last Saturday evening and around Burnet/Koenig area, I heard it. Was standing on back porch watching storm and almost shat my pants when it hit.
agingcowboy
AG

I had a run in with a tree branch once, not as potentially catastrophic as what you describe but left me sore for a couple of days. We had cut an 8-10' pine down to use as a tent poll in the Bob Marshall a couple of years ago. It wasn't huge, maybe 4-6" in diameter. It was standing straight up in the center of our tent and we had left several 1-2" branches on it to hang wet gear and whatnot. I was sitting on my cot looking at the map when the wind picked up outside. It lifted the tent up a couple of inches which was enough to clear the top of that pine we had cut. It got loose from the tent it was holding up and tipped over and whomped me right in the head. I never saw it coming. It dimmed my lights but I didn't go out. Bled pretty good, but was very lucky one of the little branches on the end didn't hit me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
normaleagle05
AG
You just missed your chance at following a good, long-serving, Jayhawk into the Kansas governorship.
normaleagle05
AG
But I'm glad you're uninjured.
cupofjoe04
AG
Can I get in on the walnut chopping? I mean, I'm only concerned for your safety, of course
Moon Shadow
When I was in the Army at Ft. Detrick, Frederick, MD, a neighbor driving his Ford Ranger pickup was hit by a falling tree.
Luckily the tree had a fork in it with one side of the main trunk crushing the hood and engine area while the other half of the main trunk crushed the forward part of the pickup's bed.
He escaped with nothing more than a case of nerves.
John1248
AG
Buddy of mine was eating at a restaurant patio when a huge limb fell out of the tree above him. He pushed his son out of the way(who ended up with a broken arm) but ended up spending a few days in the hospital. He was a bit loopy for a couple days. When I asked him how he was feeling he said "I feel like a tree fell on me." Prolly had to be there, but I cracked up at the time.

They were both very lucky, it was a huge oak limb.
aggielostinETX
AG
When I ran the BCS half marathon in 2013, it iced/sleeted the night before.

Along the course is Bryan, some poor guy had a tree fall on his pickup, right behind the cab and bend it in half so the frame was touching the ground between the cab and the bed. Big ass oak tree about 30" thick.

And then he got to watch thousands of people run by and stare at his plight, while his street was closed, so no one could come help him.

When I passed, he was just standing and staring at it in the front yard with a look of absolute disbelief.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
GottaRide
S
Those incidents are humbling experiences if you take any time to reflect on things. It reminds me of that mountain lion video that was posted a few weeks ago. That deer was doing nothing out of the ordinary when it went to that water trough. A minute later, nature recycled it.
SmackDaddy
AG
Somebody would have seen the buzzards...
SanAntoneAg
AG
I remember this guy's car burn to a crisp at the Willie Nelson Picnic in CS. His license plate was RHP 997, if I recall.
Gig 'em! '90
Sean98
AG
Yup. Probably by this time already. Good news is the dogs were outside so they would have had something to eat.

They have to mourn for 24 hours, then they're allowed to go to town.
88jrt06
AG
One of our most talented grads...plastic surgeon who volunteered on poor Central American children with cleft palate, etc. (great guy, '82) ... he was left paraplegic when he took his compact tractor and tried to knock down a dead
mature tree. He hit the trunk hard and the entire conopy
collapsed instead, atop him. He's been featured in the Chron several times as he has attempted to come back from near-death (cell phone not trapped) to practice again.
Last I heard, he was coming back, slowly, but with great stress to his family. I was his (absentee) next door neighbor, maybe 500 yards away. There was no one else.
I wasn't there. But his phone wasn't trapped, and that saved his life. Life flight from Bellville.

Take a dead tree down from the top. Slowly. It is your enemy. Best wishes to my ol' Aggie Doc neighbor, who's a huge inspiration to our community. He's kind of an Aggie.
AggieChemist
AG
So which is better at stealing hats, the tree or a squirrel?
Sean98
AG
The squirrel was infinitely more successful.
88jrt06
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

I remember this guy's car burn to a crisp at the Willie Nelson Picnic in CS. His license plate was RHP 997, if I recall.

"Down in Levelland..."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.