Outdoors
Sponsored by

Harbor Freight tools

7,233 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Canyon99
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had a Harbor Freight open near me. Never been in one, but this store seems small. Just curious, what are tools worth buying there? I had a few things a couple weeks ago I thought I might could use, but when I went through the store yesterday, nothing jumped out at me. Just wondering what things are of decent quality and what things I should stay away from.
GrapevineAg
AG
It has the nickname "Horrible Freight" for a reason, but it does have its place. If you need something for a one-time use (e.g. a simple transmission jack), or if you want a cheap angle grinder that you don't mind burning through after just a few uses, then it's alright. If you want quality tools, look elsewhere.

Just my $.02.
cr
If I want a one off tool, I go there because of price.

Some of their stuff is pretty good in my experience. I have had good luck with their Chicago Electric brand tools. I have a reciprocating saw, electric impact wrench, and miter saw that have been worth the money.

I've also bought some of their steel products, such as large pry bars and a splitting wedge, and it is quality steel.

I have no experience with their jacks or pneumatic tools.

My experience is all home use.
UnderoosAg
AG
Their US General tool chests are a great value. I have framing and roofing nailers that I've beaten up pretty good and they've held up. Also have a bunch of their Irwin knockoff clamps - way cheaper and come with a lifetime guarantee. Some of their consumables are pretty good as well.

My biggest problem with HF is the toxic smell of Chinese plastic made from cancer and AIDS that smacks you in the face when you walk in.
Cowboy1990
For your average home tools they are fine. I've got a circular saw and a jigsaw from there and they've been great. Dad has their mitre saw and it's been great as well. He also has some if their air tools such as the impact wrench and small nailers/bradders. Something else that we've found that we really like from there are their ceramic knives. My wife has an expensive set of kitchen knives and prefers my ceramics from HF over hers. Also good place to pick up some cheap gloves, tape measures, zip ties, etc.
Duncan Idaho
The only things I won't buy from there are consumables (drill bits, sand paper, batteries, etc) and have tools with a hardened edge (screwdrivers, wire cutters, etc)
the battery rule carries over to cordless tools.

PooDoo
AG
No bad for weekend warriors.
AgsMnn
AG
PooDoo said:

No bad for weekend warriors.

This
DifferenceMaker Ag
Love HF, especially for basic tools like hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. These usually walk off when wife, kids, friends..... borrow them, so I wind up replacing them all the time anyway no matter how much I squeal about it. No use in buying the expensive stuff until I am single, which will be never.
txyaloo
AG
Their power tools are basically consumables. I don't feel bad treating them like garbage.

Their "pro" series of hand tools are pretty good quality. Their normal hand tools are ok, but with the lifetime warranty, it doesn't really matter as long as a store is close

Use this site for a constant stream of 20% or 25% off coupons

http://www.hfqpdb.com/
txyaloo
AG
GrapevineAg said:

It has the nickname "Horrible Freight" for a reason, but it does have its place. If you need something for a one-time use (e.g. a simple transmission jack), or if you want a cheap angle grinder that you don't mind burning through after just a few uses, then it's alright. If you want quality tools, look elsewhere.

Just my $.02.
I'm guessing you haven't shopped there recently.

Their "professional" series tools frequently are ranked alongside Snap-On and other tool truck brands, and their Earthquake XT air impact beats Snap-On in most categories. Sure, they have some shoddy stuff, but there are also some quality pieces if you know what to buy.
will.mcg
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Their US General tool chests are a great value. I have framing and roofing nailers that I've beaten up pretty good and they've held up. Also have a bunch of their Irwin knockoff clamps - way cheaper and come with a lifetime guarantee. Some of their consumables are pretty good as well.

My biggest problem with HF is the toxic smell of Chinese plastic made from cancer and AIDS that smacks you in the face when you walk in.

Yes why do they all smell like that?!
Post removed:
by user
FtBendTxAg
AG
First rule of thumb at Harvor freight: NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH A BATTERY.

I'd stay away from anything the requires a motor or electricity.

Great for one off tools as said above and stuff like clamps, and other tools you're too cheap to purchase name brands. I didn't feel like purchasing another kreg pocket hole jig, and got a knock off there for maybe 25% of the price. Good for stuff like that.

I bought a set of jack stands from them and am just waiting for the day my wife's car falls on my face.
Superdave1993
AG
Use the coupons and buy it with the mindset that it will last for one project. When it lasts for a few years you will be suprised and have come out ahead.

I have a bench polisher for restoring pipes, a small grinder, high speed polisher and a dual action polisher. All are 2-6 years old and have served me well. I have abused the high speed polisher on a 22' boat and it just keeps going.

Their knock off Honda generator has worked well for three years at swim meets running fans in the summer.
VaultingChemist
AG
The Predator 6.5 hp gasoline engines are reliable and smooth running.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't agree with everything here. So, I'm guessing the OP is getting a wide range of experience with HF. That's OK.

1. Power tools are hit or miss. There are some really good reviews on things like their dual action polisher but some of the reviews on their saws aren't very good.

2. Their tool storage items seem to be of decent quality and get relatively good reviews.

3. I've seen their car jacks used at tire stores. These are discount/used tire stores but I suspect the jacks are lasting more than just a few weeks under heavy use or they'd use another brand.

4. A lot of the free stuff I've gotten from them -- flashlights, tarps, screwdrivers, etc. have worked fine for me.

I don't think I have anything from them that I regretted buying other than maybe the orange microfiber towels (ran like crazy first wash). The things I took back I just changed my mind on. Like others said, coupons and sales happen regularly so check them out.
UnderoosAg
AG
will.mcg said:

UnderoosAg said:

Yes why do they all smell like that?!

It's the crappy plastic and rubber in tires, casters, etc. It's the VOC off gassing you smell. I had a tool cart from there with casters that I had to leave on the porch for a few days to air out because it funked up the garage so bad. Eventually the smell goes away.

When I worked in Afghanistan for a bit, we'd get miscellaneous supplies wherever we could to avoid shipping from here. I had a Chinese mousepad that straight up smelled like a full gas can, so much so we spent an hour looking for a fuel leak before figuring it out. Eventually it aired out. They'll make synthetics out of whatever I guess.
StoloAg2010
AG
I recently bought their 301 piece mechanic set for $160, comes with a lifetime guarantee. Haven't used it too much yet but the little bit I did it did see well made, plus I think it's got everything I would need including all the star shaped bits.
Bird Poo
AG
Bought a 14" Li-ion battery powered chainsaw last year and it's still going strong! Perfect for going to the green belt in the neighborhood and getting free firewood.

Tarps, zip ties, gloves---I think it's a great place to have nearby. They have some cool outdoor toys for kids too.
ellebee
My son and I get into electronic fly swatter fights. The strongest one I got was from there. It would deliver a jolt that lit your ass up. It met its doom when I grabbed it from him and chunked it across the garage. The ones I've had since then were disappointing. Hth
45-70Ag
AG
I bought their hanging tool cabinet to store reloading supplies along with a two piece tool chest. No problems
will.mcg
AG
I have two grinders I bought on sale for about $8 each & use them infrequently....probably a few hours a month. They are going on two years with no problems. I saw recently they have a new brand of grinder they compare to de Walt. I want to get one so I can avoid having to change disc types when I go from cutting, grinding, or using a flap disc or wire wheel.
Ikanizer
AG
Harbor Freight tools I've had good luck with (better if you get them with a 20% off coupon)::
1. Electric pole chain saw
2. Saws all
3. Hammer drill
4..Sanders (you can get one for each grit - I have at least 5)
5. Belt sander
6. 14 ga pneumatic brad/staple nailer (I think this cost $14 on sale with coupon - one of my best buys)
7. 6.5hp 3" water pump (I have bought 3 or 4 and use them to pump dirty creek water into a duck pond).
8. Copy Kreg pocket hole jig set
9. Hand truck
10. HD electric drill with cord
11. Pancake air compressor (smallest one)
12. 10" sliding miter saw
13. zip ties, tarps, moving blankets, pneumatic hoses, clamps that screw onto threaded pipe
14. Tool bags
15. 16 ft telescoping ladder that folds in the middle
Agree with staying away from things like sand paper, drill bits, batteries and other consumables.I was hesitant on the battery powered hand tools until my last craftsman battery died about a year ago. I took a chance on an 18V drill. It is still going strong and I use it all the time. I bought an open box sander once that lasted about an hour so don't fall for that.
Allen76
AG
Do Not buy bolt cutters at HF.

I have failures from two different sizes. And it's the same type of failure on both and it cannot be corrected as far as I know.

agent-maroon
AG
http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08/buyer-beware-a-harbor-freight-buying-guide-the-good-enough-the-bad-and-the-abysmal

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/114176-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck.html

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?3165-HF-tools-that-don-t-suck

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?688521-Harbor-Freight-Tools-That-ChuckE2009-Says-Don-t-Suck

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/harbor-freight-tools-that-dont-suck-233385.html

HF tools that don't suck goog search
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gigemags05
AG
I have a 170 amp mig welder from hf that I have put through the ringer. It's been a great machine.

I've had pretty good luck with most tools from there. I stay away from their consumables, as stated above.

Never had a battery powered tool, it i do like my Chicago electric grinders, hammer drill, and cutoff tool.
tx4guns
AG
I like them for rope, tow straps, clevises, bungees, zip ties, and stuff like that. Their hand tools and power tools suck. We call HF "El Cheapo" at work when we need something quick for the shop.
schmellba99
AG
Some of their stuff is decent, mostly their hand tools. No experience with their electric tools outside of a car buffer I bought several years back that works just fine.

Pittsburgh brand tools are good to very good, especially their impact sockets. As mentioned, their clamps (c-clamps, wood,clamps,and irwin type,clamps) are also good.

Their hydraulic jacks are good unless you use them as much as Discount, their hydraulic,presses are actually not bad either.

Zip ties, rope, extenaion cords, etc. are all also good. I have no issues with their drill bits or grindimg wheels either.
The Fife
HF tools I have bought that were good...
Flooring nailer
Clamps
Box beam levels
Laser level
Sockets in odd sizes (extra deep / huge / huge+impact) that are not my daily go-to
Allen wrenches
Big hammers
Drill bits and hole saws of all kinds and special uses
Consumables like hardwood flooring cleats when Lowes/HD stopped carrying them locally. Staples suck, use cleats
Caliper
Transmission jack and huge jackstands

Stuff I've bought that was crap:
Pin wrench (broke it)
Tire pump (dead on arrival)
Punches (bent them)
Vacuum pump (bet you can't guess what it didn't do)
Vise grips (teeth wore out quick)

Your mileage may vary...
cr
A few more items I forgot to mention.

The 3 ton aluminum floor jack stands by Pittsburg are good. I bought a set for my son a few years back and he uses them all the time. Lightweight, strong and durable. I wish I had aluminum instead of steel. They are a little more expensive but worth it, especially for an older guy.

I also have bungee cords and ratcheting tie downs that I bought there 10 years ago that I still use.
Presley OBannons Sword
anyone getting under a vehicle that is supported by Harbor Freight jack stands and/or jack has balls of solid steel.
FiTxAg04
AG
I THINK a lot of HF stuff is just re-branded more-well-known stuff. Their 10" mitre saw looks identical to my 10" Skil mitre saw. Same with their table saw. Their digital calipers that I bought for less than $10, I see as other-branded models all the time like Hornady for 3x-4x the price.

Also, their dual barrel rock tumbler makes for a great wet brass tumbler. It's still going strong after almost 2 years of solid use.
Gigemags05
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

anyone getting under a vehicle that is supported by Harbor Freight jack stands and/or jack has balls of solid steel.

I guess I've got a good set of stones on me because I use their jack stands and jacks all the time. Have been for 5 yrs and have not hf a single issue.
The Fife
Presley OBannons Sword said:

I use old wheels as a backup, but I'd do that for anybody's jack stands.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.