Outdoors
Sponsored by

High quality windproof outer layer

3,208 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Central Committee
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edit: damnit. Premature e-post.

Anyone have significant experience with the Sitka line of gear in real weather? I'm in the process of looking for a high quality windproof shell, so I'm looking through FirstLite, Sitka, maybe Kuiu. But Sitka in particular it seems they have like 8 jackets that seem to be almost the exact same piece. ... And yet they vary from $150 to $350, so I'm assuming they are very different.

What I'm really looking for us something to stop late season Kansas wind, or wind sitting on a glassing knob at 11,000'. I'll be able to layer puffy/fleece under, so more concerned about wind.
Watchful Ag
AG
I know you're not the biggest fan of Kuiu, but their Guide Jacket has been great at stopping wind. I've really enjoyed the the quality and versatility of that jacket the last couple of seasons.
Towns03
AG
I've worn a lot of pricy gear over the years - a 3 ply gortex, army surplus shell works as well as all of them and costs 1/5 of the money. see here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-ACU-GEN-IIl-ECWCS-GORETEX-JACKET-PARKA-GORE-TEX-COLD-WEATHER-Med-Reg-NEW-/322525573880?hash=item4b1805b2f8:g:GHgAAOSw3gJZIz4l

they are available in a few different patterns right now on ebay.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sitka gear is worth the money and will be more than enough for what you're looking into.

Without getting into layering (something you're probably very well informed on) the Sitka gear is designed with a lot of attention to detail and is very warm.

Two examples:

1) duck hunting on the coast this past season when it was 22 with 20-30mph winds:
- had three layers on... UA cold gear, Sitka Base Layer, Sitka Guide series jacket (plus waders). My jacket was frozen (literally) and I was toasty.
2) deer hunting hill country
- I've noticed that I have had to drop one layer when hunting into December while wearing my Sitka whitetail stuff. Not ony is it quiet, it's warm and has also many little things that are useful (like integrated hood with face mask). It's usually not that cold, but riding around on a ranger with no windshield at nights (looking for hogs) is a good litmus test for wind and it passes.

Good luck!
rather be fishing
AG
Kuiu customer service is as bad add AT&T.
Sean98
AG
That has been my (limited) experience as well.
C4D
AG
Sitka is the ****ka

U wont be disappointed!
fairviewcrew
I was bow hunting a couple years when an unexpected storm came in. Went from 70s to mid 40s and raining plus very windy. I was sitting in a lean to tree stand so totally exposed to the elements, and all I had was my Sitka rain jacket (not sure exactly which one)...but it's a light rain jacket. It kept me very dry and really stopped the wind from getting in. Was I a bit chilly? Sure.... but 40s is not too bad if you are dry and wind is not getting through
ursusguy
AG
I'm a fan of Rivers West and Natural Gear (mainly like their camo pattern).
agingcowboy
AG
I used to be on pro form with sitka so I have and use a ton of their gear. I have 2 jet stream jackets that I think are their best all around jacket. Medium rain blocking, medium wind stopping and decent insulation. However, I got caught out in pouring rain in it and after an hour or so I was wet all the way through. It was kind of a slow leak so I couldn't tell if it was coming up my sleeves, down my neck, through the zippers or what. I bought their cold front jacket and it is a rain and wind stopping beast. I've worn it in rain, wind and snow and came out completely dry. It's light on insulation so buy a size bigger for layering underneath. It also comes with a staggering price tag. Not related to your question but I love their Timberline pant for hunting. Reinforced knees and butt keeps you dry. I like the way the pockets are laid out. It's my go to for Mountain hunting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
angryocotillo
AG
On a similar note, I had lost a couple of pricey rain jackets and didn't feel like forking over the cash for another one so I spent $20 on a frogtogg rain suit at academy. It has been perfect for hunting and backpacking. It does fine in the rain and wind, doesn't have a plasticy feel like alot of ponchos and rain jackets do. It's light and packs down really well . Probably won't last me forever, but hey it was $20 for the jacket and pants.

Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite Rain Suit Khaki
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007X5XDU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HrlDzbSTQKS7Q
arrow
AG
I'm not very familiar Sitka's massive line-up of jackets. I've only got their Fanatic hoody and vest which I'm hoping will cover all but the coldest and windiest days of archery season.

Are you looking for lightweight and packable and you only pull it out of the bag when it's super windy? Or something that you wear throughout your Kansas sit so it needs to be quite too?
Blue Duck
AG
+1 for the Kuiu guide jacket. It's my favorite jacket I've ever owned and it's been used in all kinds of weather. I've had good experience with their customer service the 1 time I've had to use it.
AgLA06
AG
Sean,

I know you have a better budget than I do, but I knew I couldn't afford everything most people would recommend for a back country hunt last year. My strategy was to get good enough boots, one cold weather outer layer, the best value rain gear I could find, and a mummy bag and make due with the rest.

After a bunch of research it was essentially pay out the ass for the elite brands already mentioned or wait until late spring / summer for Cabela's to clear out their previous year top tier lines. I chose Cabela's. I checked the clearance and bargain cave sections online every week and finally got a western camo, packable >$500 set for more than half off.

I was worried about them holding up in the downed timber, but they were tougher than I expected. I stopped packing the outer layer and just packed the rain gear. Worked great!

We had one full day of freezing rain and sleet where I hunkered down in some downed timber overlooking a little meadow figuring something would eventually come feed. Never got wet.
Sean98
AG
Honestly at this point I have plenty of gear for almost any hunting situation. ...but I'm trying to slowly upgrade each piece of my system, maybe 1-2 upgrades per year. As I hunt out west more and more I've really embraced lighter pieces that layer easily. Plus I run a little hot on the way into/out of the stand, so the lighter pieces are the better. That way I can pack them in and put them on in the tree.

I've slowly stocked up on merino base layers, and I've got a fair amount of fleece/puffy mid layers. I've been using my rain gear as my windproof layers which is fine for now but a little heavy.

I'm still really lacking in the quality pants department since only 1-2 companies make pants that fit me and they are $150-200 a pair and to date I've refused to pay that.

I have more FirstLite than the other big brands because (1) my customer service interactions have been fantastic with them, and (2) I love ASAT camo.
ursusguy
AG
I eventually resort to my breathable t-shirt and Northface vest. As you've seen, I can generally stay pretty warm in that....there may be a photo of me in a snow storm in Walmart polypro thermal bottoms and nylon gym shorts sporting a blaze orange vest. I even had some nice Army Navy surplus wool pants. Wore them one morning, and lasted until about 8 AM.

My cousin had the Sitka gear, and loved it probably 95% of the time. There were some mornings that he was a bit challenged finding a combo to walk in and not sweat, and then stay warm once we settled into glass for awhile. Even slightly moving he was toasty.

FSGuide
I have some of the Sitka wind proof pants. I wore them on two 7-day Mulie hunts near Cody, WY. Horseback and/or on the ground all day long in November at 8,000'+ each day. That gear is worth its weight in gold.
Sean98
AG
Yeah, going up and down the mountain, or into the stand I can basically go in my underwear. That's why I want packable. So I can strap it to my bow or pack and carry it in workout feeling like I'm carrying in an old school sleeping bag.
PFG
AG
Quote:

I've been using my rain gear as my windproof layers which is fine for now but a little heavy.

Have you taken a look at jackets like this:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-wind-breaker-jacket

I have the Houdini. Does the job really well, and packs down to the size of a tennis ball. Really good at blocking the wind and keeping in heat. I toss it on top when I'm sitting/glassing and the wind chills me.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I wish they carried tall sizes
Towns03
AG
I just looked it up and I really don't think the Sitka stuff is different from the army surplus parkas. the pockets, cut and camo are different, but they both use the same 3-ply gortex. they'll perform exactly the same.

https://www.sitkagear.com/technology

AggieGunslinger
AG
When my brother was gearing up for his first elk trip last year he got a little sticker shock after looking at First Lite, Kuiuiuiu, and the other well known brands. He started researching what fabrics they were using and found this company that uses some of the same fabrics as those guys. He didn't want to drop a lot of coin gear for a trip on a trip he may never take again so he went this route. The finish isn't nearly as nice as one of the top shelf company's offering but it is a great value.

Here

NRH ag 10
AG
Less mobile hunting, a thick soft shell.

Backcountry stuff, if you need more wind resistance than your puffy provides, put on your rain shell.
No heavy softshell.
plowboy1065
S
I really like my entire Kuiu Guide setup and their customer service has been top notch for me
dannyag07
AG
What line did you end up going with?
dannyag07
AG
Do you know how much it weighs? How warm is it? It looks thicker in the pictures.
OldCamp
Sorry to hijack, but what do yall do for a mid layer pant?
Ive got good merino base layers and good outer layers. I use a puffy insulated jacket for my upper mid layer, but always come up short with pants options.
I currently use Woolrich wool pants which I like, but I'm looking for additional options.
ETA - the hunting situation is deer hunting in the upper Midwest so light weight is not as important as warmth
Lungblood
I kid you not... Finnish Military Surplus Wool Pants. $40-50 on various sites. It's not lightweight gear, but it is really functional.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have only tried it on once. It didn't seem heavy. He wore it when the highs were in the 40s, all he had underneath was a t-shirt and he is pretty cold natured. He did say when he stopped for a bit he had to layer up.
AgLA06
AG
I'll have to do some research. I looked in the rain gear last night, but it doesn't say. I'll see if they have my order history online.
Central Committee
AG
Huge fan of the Kryptek gear. I have worn it for over 2 years, and quality is very, very good. Also significantly cheaper than Sitka, and I like the camo pattern better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.