Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boat titles and TPW

1,871 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chickenhawk
allMondjoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boat a 16' CC skiff from a young guy 3 years ago that was given the boat by his uncle. All he gave me was registration paper to renew boat but was going to find the title later. I know, but it was going to take a lot of work to get sea worthy. Well as a project and second boat I did not hound him for the title and was able to renew tag until this year. It now requires DL# of the owner. I can't locate owner as well as can't locate the young guy I bought from. Am I screwed or how do I go about this now. Thought of buying an old boat with title and numbers and just reusing the them on my skiff but that would not be legal. Advice appreciated!
Salt of the water
AG
It's a fairly lengthy process but no single step is difficult. I forgot where I saw a detailed step-by-step but the gist of the process is below.

Certified mail to the seller (and owner if the seller was not the owner) requesting title. I think you have to give them a month or something like that to respond.

Two possible outcomes:
1 - They get back in touch with you and get you the title.

2 - They don't respond. You take the mail received receipt and/or returned unopened certified mail to tpwd along with your bill of sale. They should be able to cut you a fresh title after you made a good faith attempt (with documentation) to get the title.

You can find the owners info by paying to tpwd to do a lookup based on the tags.

Pics of the before and after on the restore?

Edit:
Found a great detailed write up on 2cool:
http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=500635
MouthBQ98
AG
You can get a bonded title but it takes some extra work.
DallasAggies01
AG
You can go here TPWD Ownership Query to find ownership info for free. Simply input your info on the first page then on second page the TX #. It will pull up the details of the vessel. Then you can go about the process of finding the notifying the owner.
DallasAggies01
AG
I recently had to renew TX numbers for a boat that was my FILs before he passed. Thankfully my MIL still remembered his DL number so that I could renew it.

Starting the process of getting to Vessels and OBs titled correctly from his to her name
water turkey
Prepare your nuts.
AceAggie05
AG
I read that title differently
sjislepilot
AG
I just had to go through this process. I recommend getting in contact with someone directly at the austin offices. I got about 10 different answers from 5 different people. The gal here in CS was VERY unhelpful. Her solution to me not having a title to my motor was that I should have never bought it. And literally offered nothing less as to how to proceed.

I got hooked up with someone In the austin office that was super helpful. Like others said sounds about right. Certified mail, and then send for bonded title. Will likely not cost you more than $100.

For mine the motor was a 1975 and the person that owned it before me likely died and instead of issuing me a bonded title they just gave me a legit one. Not sure if that was because it was so old or just not worth a ton.

I can give you the email if you want to the person that helped me. Better than being on hold ....
rather be fishing
AG
AceAggie05 said:

OP would have been better with boat titties and TP.
Chickenhawk
rather be fishing said:

AceAggie05 said:

OP would have been better with boat titties and TP.

Glad it isn't just me who read it this way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.