Outdoors
Sponsored by

Santa Fe / Taos Fly Fishing guides

681 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 87Flyfisher
Hamburger Dan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at a trip to northern New Mexico the last week of September. I've caught a few fish on fly fishing gear, but not real knowledgeable or confident. Thought about using a guide service to learn a few things. High Dessert Angler, The Reel Life, and Dos Amigos were listed. Anybody know these guys work? Not sure if this a good time for fishing, but it works for my schedule. Prices, outfitting, and locations are similar. Help a West Texas guy out, please.
EnglishElhew07
What are you looking for? What is your experience level? Are you in staying in Taos or Santa Fe?
Most of my recs are going to be for the Taos area.

Of the place you listed I only have experience with Dos amigos. I have never gone on a guided trip with them, but they always give good fly rec's at their shop. Their main shop is in eagle nest, which is about 45 minutes from Taos. They mainly fish the cimarron. The Cimarron is the best brown trout fishery in the state. Wild Browns to 16 inches but they are rare. This river is my favorite place to fish up there but it is right off the highway and gets hit very hard by Texans chunking bait.

If you want to go somewhere a little more remote you could get the High desert guys to take you up into the Pecos wilderness, if you are willing to hime more than a couple miles you will leave 95% of the others behind you. You can catch lots of Native Rio Grande Cutthroats up there with a few Browns and rainbows at lower elevations.

If you want to catch big fish I would call Solitary Angler in Taos and ask to fish Culebra Creek. It is just across the line in southern Colorado, about an hour north of Taos but the owner of Solitary either owns or has leased 90 % of Creek and only fishes each portion once or twice a week. And it is 100% cath and release. Thus there are big fish that receive very little pressure. This is where I take first timers or people that I want to make sure they catch fish. If you call them ask for Dave Shaha to guide you.

Good luck. I will be up there on and off all of August if I can help let me know.
meggy09
AG
Stay in Durango and fish the San Juan.
Hamburger Dan
Thanks for the info. Might stay in Taos instead of Santa Fe. My experience is bass and some striper fishing in reservoirs and stock tanks. I've caught a few trout in Truckee area - Tahoe, and a few random creeks in Colorado. I'm not very good with a fly rod, but I've gotten better. I thought with a guide, I would learn a few things, be off the beaten path, and maybe catch a few trout. Thanks, I'll look at what they tell me and come back here for more advice.
87Flyfisher
AG
Nick Street at Taos Fly Shop.
Doc Thompson in Ute Park.
Both run top notch operations, are excellent at teaching, have great private water and are friends of mine.
Wife and I will be fishing that area in early September and will see both of them.

Of the ones you listed, Dos Amigos is in last place by a long way. It was a good place until the new owner took over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.