Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake Meredith veterans

4,856 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My planned mule deer hunt in Colorado fell through this year with all my friends backing out. In its place I have decided to hunt Lake Meredith to get my fix. Despite being several months out, I'd love any advice for a first timer. Specifically, is it beneficial to pack in and camp in the "back country", or hike in every morning? Any recommendations for maps? I have been checking the area out on Bing and Google Earth but always like printed maps.
mneisch
AG
I should add that I am not afraid to work hard. Plan on long hikes with lots of elevation change. I should have all necessary equipment from my elk hunt last year.
HSEAG13
It's a crap shoot. Hunted there multiple times last year and thought I had gotten far enough away from the crowd. And sure as **** at 8 am the pumpkin patch came rolling in.

You'd have just as much luck trying to get on the crossbar ranch on the other side of 287 of killing a trophy mule deer
Lungblood
There's mule deer in the panhandle?
BurrOak
AG
Wouldn't waste my time there. Nothing but a pumpkin patch.
jtp01
AG
Yes. Quite a few actually. Meredith is only a few miles south of our farm. Muleys and pronghorn antelope are fairly common on our place. Some really nice mule deer in the Meredith area.

When I lived south of Lubbock, I had a herd of 14 mule deer in my front yard nearly every evening. We were on 200 acres and had a couple of small ponds where they watered.

Wildlife out here is really more plentiful than folks know.
BradMtn346
Where were you going in Colorado? Did you already draw?
PANHANDLE10
He knows there's mule deer. Him and I and other like minded folks try to convince the internet hordes to leave us alone in the Panhandle. It's nothing but tumbleweeds and jack rabbits anyway.
Lungblood
jtp01 said:

Yes. Quite a few actually. Meredith is only a few miles south of our farm. Muleys and pronghorn antelope are fairly common on our place. Some really nice mule deer in the Meredith area.

When I lived south of Lubbock, I had a herd of 14 mule deer in my front yard nearly every evening. We were on 200 acres and had a couple of small ponds where they watered.

Wildlife out here is really more plentiful than folks know.

Dont I feel stupid.
Log
AG
Pain and heartache. And a few twisted ankles.

Get past those, and you may see a deer. Or not.
mneisch
AG
We just put in for preference points. Original plan was to hunt in the Leadville area, can't remember the particular unit off the top of my head.
Lungblood

Quote:

Specifically, is it beneficial to pack in and camp in the "back country", or hike in every morning?

I think it is, but not everyone agrees with this strategy. BurrOak can confirm that it does complicate matters when you kill a deer in the backcountry and you're already camped out in the backcountry... but I personally feel like the pros slightly outweigh the cons. Plus, for me, I usually achieve more comfort and get more satisfaction in going to bed and waking up in the backcountry as opposed to my truck or a tent near or in a parking lot. Just my preference. Remember... LM prohibits camp fires in the backcountry, which I support 100% for 2 reasons.

Quote:

Any recommendations for maps? I have been checking the area out on Bing and Google Earth but always like printed maps.

You can call or email them at the office in Fritch and they'll send you a printed map. You can also download and print one. The 2 different maps that I've had specifically state "Do not use this map for hiking or boat navigation. For info about maps, ask a park ranger or contact the park". When I've done this (ask a ranger or contact park for info about maps), they've just sent me another map with the same disclaimer. Maybe I'm not asking the right question.

At any rate, it's pretty self explanatory, but there are areas which are not completely fenced and it's your responsibility to stay off private. Cell service is good pretty much everywhere in the LM NRA and you can use your phone to give you an idea of the NRA boundaries.
mneisch
AG
Thanks for the response. From reading past threads it appears most people hunt northeast from Plum Creek, towards Evans and Martins Canyon. Is there a reason not to go south to Devils and Big Canyon?
Lungblood
It gets a little skinny that way but I've actually seen a good number of mule deer and a few nice whitetails in that area.
mneisch
AG
Cool, figured that might be the reason. I'm really looking forward to the hunt, plan to take a few days off work so I can hunt mostly weekdays when it isn't so crowded. Been watching too much Meat Eater this off-season.

No water available out there, correct? I assume anything I want I need to pack in.
Lungblood
mneisch said:

Cool, figured that might be the reason. I'm really looking forward to the hunt, plan to take a few days off work so I can hunt mostly weekdays when it isn't so crowded. Been watching too much Meat Eater this off-season.

No water available out there, correct? I assume anything I want I need to pack in.

You could filter water out of the Canadian but it's not worth the effort imo. Pack it in... which is another reason why so many don't camp in the backcountry. I guess you could camp close to the rver but the muleys don't hang near the river.
Lungblood
No matter what those beautiful blue lines on the maps show, I've never seen water in LM NRA, except for the Canadian.
HSEAG13
You could always bring a horse to hunt off of. Log specifically loves it when people do that.
Lungblood
Horse liver n onions sounds like a good consolation prize
Log
AG
Horse girls are crazy, and horse people suck. Especially when they jack the place up in the peak of the rut.
aggielostinETX
AG
Log said:

Horse girls are crazy, and horse people suck. Especially when they jack the place up in the peak of the rut.

Horse girls have other... skills.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Log
AG
Deats said:

Log said:

Horse girls have other... skills.

To quote Il Duce:

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?"
CanyonAg77
AG
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd append to this one. Head over to the Panhandle Board for a great steakhouse recommendation.

Double XXL Steakhouse - Stinnett, Texas, but really in the middle of nowhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.