Outdoors
Sponsored by

how to go about suppressing an Ak

2,214 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a c39v2 i'm looking to suppress. SiCo does not have a brake in the correct thread pitch that is compatible to the Omega suppressor. the thread pitch is LH 14x1. Anyone have some advice on how i can go about getting a muzzle brake made to where i can still utilize the quick detach feature of the SiCo Omega?

Thanks
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Sailor
Thread adapter.

http://www.usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=78
AGricola08
AG

I know this is not the answer you are likely looking for.... since it would required another stamp but the Deadair Wolverine was specifically designed for the AK
highvelocity
AG
will go this route if HPA passes, i already have 4 in jail, i dont feel like waiting longer
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
Puryear Playboy
AG
I own...well, several AKs...there is one thing you need to be very careful of and that is the threads being concentric to the bore.

Most I have messed with including all but three of mine (both Polish and one Yugo RPK) do not have threads cut concentric with the bore. It's just not something that AK makers invested in or were concerned about. Makes for an expensive project when you hang a can on the front of one.
CS78
Puryear Playboy said:

I own...well, several AKs...there is one thing you need to be very careful of and that is the threads being concentric to the bore.
Kinda what I've always been told. If you're mounting a can to an AK, your first step should be threads cut from scratch.
AGricola08
AG
I hear ya man.... I have five items in jail currently..
highvelocity
AG
is this the case with Century too?
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
The Wonderer
AG
highvelocity said:

will go this route if HPA passes, i already have 4 in jail, i dont feel like waiting longer
If HPA passes (not likely imho), they'd be released immediately for transfer and you'd ensure you had one. If HPA were to pass, prices would most likely increase as demand skyrocketed and supply remained stagnant. Think about it being akin to the AR panic a few years ago.
txyaloo
AG
highvelocity said:

Yes, especially with Century.

Also, 7.62x39 doesn't suppress very well
highvelocity
AG
hm.. well i guess i'll see if the thread adapter will line up whenever i get it. i just really dont like wearing hearing protection
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
highvelocity
AG
The Wonderer said:

highvelocity said:

If HPA passes (not likely imho), they'd be released immediately for transfer and you'd ensure you had one. If HPA were to pass, prices would most likely increase as demand skyrocketed and supply remained stagnant. Think about it being akin to the AR panic a few years ago.
your logic makes sense and my wallet dislikes you very much for that
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
Secolobo
AG
Install a buffer on the trunnion or you'll still hear the characteristic "clank" of an AK.
txyaloo
AG
highvelocity said:

hm.. well i guess i'll see if the thread adapter will line up whenever i get it. i just really dont like wearing hearing protection
The adapter will fit. The problem is the threads aren't concentric to the bore. That's not something you can eyeball. A machinist should be able to check it for you. You don't want baffle strikes.
CharlieBrown17
AG
txyaloo said:

highvelocity said:

Yes, especially with Century.

Also, 7.62x39 doesn't suppress very well
Doing some late night research, why doesn't 7.62x39 suppress well?
highvelocity
AG
I'm going to wager it has something to do with the projectile size of the 762x39 being larger.
www.txstrapco.com

www.bcafirearmstx.com
CharlieBrown17
AG
I don't think .311 vs .308 would make that big of a difference, plus a lot of the reason 5.56 doesn't work as well in a .30 cal can is the projectile is too small.

As long as the .311 makes it through without baffle strikes seems like it would be an advantage, if anything, over a .308 in the same can.

So thats why I asked
schmellba99
AG
Most tests show that there is a negligible suppression difference between a 5.56 shot through a 5.56 can and a 5.56 shot through a .30 cal can.

The larger volume of the .30 cal can usually makes up for any blow by due to larger bore diameter.

Generally speaking, no real rifle suppresses well if you still want full power. A whole lot of the noise you get from a rifle is the supersonoc crack, and unless you go slow there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. You can suppress gas expansion, and the 7.62 round is a relatively low charge rifle round that you can knock down fairly easily.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I agree with you on 5.56 in a 30 Cal can. Was mostly using that comparison for academic purposes.

Also agreed that suppressors only do so much for a supersonic round.

I've been reading a bit and there's not many people running subs in 7.62x39. Seems like it would be easy to do though.
schmellba99
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I agree with you on 5.56 in a 30 Cal can. Was mostly using that comparison for academic purposes.

Also agreed that suppressors only do so much for a supersonic round.

I've been reading a bit and there's not many people running subs in 7.62x39. Seems like it would be easy to do though.
Most people aren't going to run subs in a 7.62x39 because about 99.99999% of the firearms made for that round are semi-auto operated, and subs aren't going to cycle the bolt. So you have a very awkward bolt action gun that, generally speaking, isn't super accurate - there isn't much justification to go down that road IMO.

If you want to knock the sound down, which you can absolutely do with a decent to good suppressor, and make it hearing safe and much more pleasant to shoot, they are as good a candidate as any. Recoil reduction would be a great benefit as well as every AR or SKS I've bought has a funky kick to it that makes quick and accurate follow up shots difficult.

The .223 is in the same boat with AR's - a supressor's purpose on that platform is to knock an insanely loud report down to a very tolerable report. I suppose you can argue muzzle flash and recoil mitigation as well, but it's marginal on an AR platform, at least in .223. Can't speak for 6.5, 6.8, .270 AR, .30 AR or any of the wildcat calibers that seem to be introduced on a weekly basis.

Subsonic rounds are largely overrated. Sure, it's fun to pull the trigger and get almost no sound at all and have the impact of the round on target louder than the actual firing of the gun, but real world applications of subsonic rounds are honestly limited. Your range is VERY limited with subs - with a .22 on small game you really have a 50, maybe 75 yard limit. With a .223 you are limited to well under 100 yards on medium game. What makes the .300 BO actually fairly useful as a sub is sheer mass - a 220 grain projectile, even moving relatively slow, still carries a pretty good punch. So you can actually take larger game with it (deer, pig) within a limited range (around 100 yards, probably less).
CharlieBrown17
AG
I bought a 7.62x39 bolt gun from EyeGuy that's threaded.

Been wanting a suppressor for a long time and figure that will be next on the list. Will probably try some sub loadings just for the "that's cool" factor but will be running regular 7.62 bulk 99.99% of the time.

Agree with you on the weird kick, step dad has a Chinese SKS I've noticed that on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.