Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shotgun for HD guys

12,288 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Naveronski
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You will notice I didnt suggest anything.
BenderRodriguez
AG
schmellba99 said:

You are an AR guy, we all know that. But sometimes, for a host of different reasons, what you like best and what performs best may not simply be the single best thing out there for everybody. I'd argue that comfort and familiarity play as much a roll as weapon selection - maybe even having a bit more weight when you factor in all of the intangibles in a hypothetical like needing to use it at night when a bad guy is in your house. Like everything else, you weigh your options and go on information and have to make the single best decision for you - and that decision may not be that the absolute best tool for the job is the tool that works best for you or that you are most comfortable with.

Been a busy couple of days so I'm just now getting around to this.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it is a huge misconception I think is likely based on the AR thread I started here. Yes, I own and shoot ARs, and use one for home defense.

But I am NOT an AR guy. I'm a pistol shooter. As in, 95% of my shooting is pistols. I compete in IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge, I own more pistols than rifles, I shoot pistols at a MINIMUM of once a week either in practice or competition. If I bought the "go with what you're comfortable with" argument, I'd be using a pistol, period. It is by far the gun I shoot the most, the one I am the most comfortable with, and the one I have the most trigger time on by far. Based on a lot of opinions around here, I should be using a pistol for home defense based on my comfort and familiarity with pistols.

But when someone says comfort and familiarity, what are they talking about? For the purposes of home defense, comfort and familiarity really should be phrased speed and accuracy, because those are the two most important things in a defensive shooting and those are the skills being implied a shooter has with a gun when someone is talking about comfort and familiarity. And unlike the vague words "comfort and familiarity", speed and accuracy aren't intangibles. They can be measured, and I've done so. On the clock, if I shoot the vice presidente drill (I can get into why I think it's a good standard for potential home defense if anyone wants to object to testing with it) I am consistently faster with an AR than a pistol (and both are much, much faster than a pump action shotgun). I would be shocked to find anyone who could manage to shoot the vice presidente faster with a shotgun than they could with a pistol or rifle (unless they shoot three gun at a professional level and are using a mag fed competition shotgun but lets be honest: I doubt anyone advocating the shotgun for home defense is talking about anything more than a basic pump or semi auto).

"Comfort and familiarity" is a canard in my opinion based on both my own experience and introducing long time shotgun hunters to ARs on the range. 30 minutes on the range with someone who knows what they are doing and you will be faster with an AR than a shotgun no matter how many birds you've dropped or clays you've busted for the same reason I'm faster with a .22 pistol than I ever will be with a 9mm pistol no matter how much practice I do with a 9mm: simple physics. Shotguns have more recoil, and are slower to shoot accurately. If you stop using the vague term "comfort and familiarity" and start thinking in terms of "speed and accuracy", I think you'll see why I don't view it as subjectively as you do, even if you still disagree with me. And while 30 minutes with a pistol absolutely won't cut it to beat shotgun times on that drill if you're an experienced shotgunner, ARs are easier to shoot than pistols...another reason besides over penetration that I think they're a better choice for shooters of any skill level.

And before the next counterpoint is brought up of "well you don't need to shoot fast with a shotgun because one shot will drop them guaranteed" by anyone, don't make me dig up all the instances where someone did take a round of buckshot and kept going. Depending on one shot stops with any gun in a defensive situation is a bad idea.
TX scallywAG
AG
I've spent considerable time at the range with ARs & pistols. While I feel comfortable with both, a shotgun literally feels like an extension of me. Yes, that sounds dramatic, but it's true. A piece of home defense that can't be ignored is confidence to use the weapon at hand under pressure.

Telling someone else that being comfortable with a weapon does not make sense over "the right weapon" is a moot point because you're not them. What do you feel comfortable using in the dark? What can you load and operate without thinking twice? What are you the best shot with?

I'm a crack shot with a shotgun. I can shot right or left which is a huge advantage in HD. I'm decent with a semi auto rifle. I'm better than most with a pistol. That order goes in reverse for my better half. Her pistol is within reach for that reason. The range can make you better with anything, but it won't override 25 years (in my case) of training and instincts. I've spent MUCH more pistol time than her at the range. She's naturally good at it. I have to work at pistols. No shame in admitting that. I've won skeet shooting tournaments with no formal training, shooting R & L. I'm naturally good at shotguns. Natural talents can vary in firearms. That seems to be ignored a lot in the HD community.

I'll get flamed by the AR nuts. Who cares. I have a lot of fun shooting ARs. Some idiot breaks into my house though, I personally have the best chance of not missing and getting in place to made said shot with my shotgun. To each their own. If that's an AR for you, rock n roll! If **** hits the fan and I'm on your side, you want me with a shotgun, my Mrs. with her 9mm, and I want you to have an AR.

Serious question...
Anyone looked into T to FF shot versus 000? You're looking at 30-50 steel pellets versus 6 or so lead respectively. I'd be interested to see how loads designed to take down large geese at long range performs on drywall and gel.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
schmellba99
AG
Anything below #4 buck is going to have a very hard time penetrating. I've punched a lot of geese out of the sky with T shot - it works great for geese. But even on a goose, it doesn't penetrate all the way through the majority of the time. Bird shot, in any configuration, is simply not a good choice for anything but bird sized game on down.

And you stated well what I was trying to say. AR's are great, it's what I'm grabbing. But some folks just aren't going to get gung ho about an AR - I'd as soon have somebody with a .22 pistol that they can put 10 rounds in the X ring with versus them having an AR that they simply aren't comfortable with or aren't going to take the time to become comfortable with.

And if for some reason I don't have my AR out, I'm going for my MP5. I can just about close my eyes and put that thing on target at close range. It's not a point and shoot gun, but it's awfully close. No recoil, and 30 rounds of 9mm (even with over penetration and lack of power issues) is still a hell of a good start.

There is no universal answer. There are better choices than others, but ultimately it comes down to what the individual chooses. Just make it an educated choice and, like Bender said - not going off of internet myths.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Aggie MHA said:

If **** hits the fan and I'm on your side, you want me with a shotgun, my Mrs. with her 9mm, and I want you to have an AR.
No, I don't. I'd rather not get shot by friendly fire either. Now , if it's just you and your wife and I don't have any friends or family living beside you, more power to you. Just don't make the terrible assumption that I want anyone firing a shotgun or 9mm while in the house I am in or beside.
TX scallywAG
AG
Do people forget about brick? Everything shown before in this thread was related to sheetrock unless I missed a link showing brick and mortar peneration.
I have 1 window in my house facing neighbors and I know where it is. As some mentioned before, awareness of the environment is a huge part of any gun safety situation, including home defense.

A shotgun or 9mm is not going through interior sheetrock > insulation > plywood > brick > space > brick > plywood > insulation > sheetrook... then enter your home...

If you're that worried, switch to a recurve bow for HD....
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
'03ag
I'm not that worried about a round leaving my house. Although I have a fair amount of siding on exterior walls. Especially on the 2nd floor. But I would like to have the best chance of a round stopping after hitting two interior walls, or coming out the other side less lethal.

I suspect that 00 would have no problem penetrating one interior wall and one exterior wall with insulation and siding. Would be nice to see an actual test though. Texags party?
DatTallArchitect
AG
My home isn't bricked, not the homes around me. So that's a moot point if you were to move by me.
O.G.
I'm not huge on shotguns for inside the home protection for a couple of reasons but I know where I could find one in a hurry if I had too.....

Full disclosure, it's a pump action 870 because I have a lot of time behind one of those. As in , a lot a lot, from when I worked for/at TDCJ. However, mine already has one in the chamber because the " they will hear the action and get scared" thing is BS. However, I did see a bunch of non-sense come to a complete stop once when a Picket Boss (guy in the gun tower) stepped out on the cat walk and racked a shell into the chamber of his 870. What was about to be a riot, stopped. Immediately.

Further, I do not have a problem with a semi-auto as a HD weapon if that is your preference. I would own one in a heartbeat but my gun money is now directed more towards my kids these days. Miyamoto Musashi said, "
"You should not have a favorite weapon".......and I agree with that. So, I have no dog in the pump vs semi-auto fight,other than the one that I own happens to be a pump.

Further, to me a shot gun is more "outside" the home, as in out in your yard or street or whatever, but that is incredibly rare and very situational.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Sawgunner...you just quoted Musashi.

I would gladly be your friend!
Lonestar06
I worked with Saw, he is good people. Everything I own has one on top because of your dumb enough to come in my home with me there, it's to late for a warning.
maverick2076
Every gun I own that I would possibly use for defensive purposes is kept loaded and chambered. The only ones that aren't are my .22's, my single shot .410, and my Mosin.
Naveronski
AG
SAWgunner said:

I'm not huge on shotguns for inside the home protection for a couple of reasons but I know where I could find one in a hurry if I had too.....

Full disclosure, it's a pump action 870 because I have a lot of time behind one of those. As in , a lot a lot, from when I worked for/at TDCJ. However, mine already has one in the chamber because the " they will hear the action and get scared" thing is BS. However, I did see a bunch of non-sense come to a complete stop once when a Picket Boss (guy in the gun tower) stepped out on the cat walk and racked a shell into the chamber of his 870. What was about to be a riot, stopped. Immediately.

Further, I do not have a problem with a semi-auto as a HD weapon if that is your preference. I would own one in a heartbeat but my gun money is now directed more towards my kids these days. Miyamoto Musashi said, "
"You should not have a favorite weapon".......and I agree with that. So, I have no dog in the pump vs semi-auto fight,other than the one that I own happens to be a pump.

Further, to me a shot gun is more "outside" the home, as in out in your yard or street or whatever, but that is incredibly rare and very situational.
I, too, have been issued a firearm, and didn't have a choice in the matter.

Doesn't mean it was the best option.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.