Outdoors
Sponsored by

School me on Lawn Mowers

9,103 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HDeathstar
aad03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep it in the garage next to all my Yeti's.
Class of '03
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would brag on how long my mower has been running, but he mows while I am at work and I don't know if it is the same guy or if they have replaced him several times. Either way, I recommend using a mower pushed by someone else.
tmaggie50
AG
NColoradoAG said:

tmaggie50 said:

I have a cub cadet and its started every single time on the first pull for 2.5 years now. Its been a great mower.
Do you mulch your clippings? I came down to the Cub Cadet and Honda and went with the Honda.
I bag everything. Primarily because I've got this special blend of lawn that has about 35% grass and about 55% is a special combination of weeds. The other 10% is dirt.
NColoradoAG
Guitarsoup
AG
I have a 10k sf yard and use a battery powered mower. Not self propelled,but the mower is lighter than my old self propelled. Mowing, edging, blowing takes under 45min.
JSKolache
AG
buy a cheapy on craigslist & a can of carb spray. Pull carb, spray it down good, and then never leave untreated ethanol gas in it. Run it dry before storing in the off season.
Ark03
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

buy a cheapy on craigslist & a can of carb spray. Pull carb, spray it down good, and then never leave untreated ethanol gas in it. Run it dry before storing in the off season.
I wouldn't run it dry. That creates a nice big area for water to condense and corrode, hoses and washers dry out, and trace amounts of gas left in the engine evaporate leaving behind varnish and gunk.
aTm2004
AG
Ark03 said:

beefiedoubleoh said:

I wouldn't run it dry. That creates a nice big area for water to condense and corrode, hoses and washers dry out, and trace amounts of gas left in the engine evaporate leaving behind varnish and gunk.

I put it up for the winter with whatever it has in it after the last mow. No issues after 8 years.
NColoradoAG
I've always run some ethanol free fuel through my mower and left a little in the tank for winterization.
AgEngineer72
AG
Let me be the 3rd one on here say that I use the 22" $98 Weedeater mower from Wal-Mart. Bought it in 2006 and it still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and runs good. I even did maintenance on it once or twice. The equivalent mower at Wal-Mart is now about $120 but still a lot better than paying several hundred for one. Guess I'm not big on the name brands.
AgEngineer72
AG
I see a lot of chatter on here about ethanol free gas but I'm not sure its very available in the DFW area. I've had no issues with E15 in my cars, mowers, chain saw, or weed eaters. I have started using Stabil 360 last Fall but that's just recent and mostly was for winterization.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't recommend that you just go buy a Honda mower at Lowes or HD. Those are consumer models that are, at best, only slightly better than the other retail brands. It isn't that they suck, but when you hear someone say, "my dad has had a Honda since 1990...", they're not talking about the quality of mowers sold today at the big box stores. Also, those mowers used much higher quality gas for the first 15_ years of their life.

I'd strongly suggest you go to a small engine shop in town and get a reconditioned commercial 21" mower. It will likely be push, but that should be fine. You may find a Honda or you may find a Toro with a Kawasaki or Suzuki engine that is designed to run all day long and has quality parts that will last a homeowner 15-20 years -- even with crappy care. Plus, you have a place to take it to if it breaks.
NColoradoAG
AgEngineer72 said:

I see a lot of chatter on here about ethanol free gas but I'm not sure its very available in the DFW area. I've had no issues with E15 in my cars, mowers, chain saw, or weed eaters. I have started using Stabil 360 last Fall but that's just recent and mostly was for winterization.
You can find ethanol free small engine fuel at just about any big box store.
khkman22
AG
NColoradoAG said:

AgEngineer72 said:

You can find ethanol free small engine fuel at just about any big box store.
That has been used and returned filled with water...
AgEngineer72
AG
When I said ethanol free gas was hard to find in DFW I was speaking of using a pump or dispenser to fill a can. Yes, I know you can buy that canned stuff that's $25 a gallon at the big box stores but paying dumb prices like that ain't in my DNA. Same reason I won't spend many hundreds of dollars on a mower. I'm an old fart and need to save my money so I can retire one day.
NColoradoAG
AgEngineer72 said:

When I said ethanol free gas was hard to find in DFW I was speaking of using a pump or dispenser to fill a can. Yes, I know you can buy that canned stuff that's $25 a gallon at the big box stores but paying dumb prices like that ain't in my DNA. Same reason I won't spend many hundreds of dollars on a mower. I'm an old fart and need to save my money so I can retire one day.
Was just saying it's a good option for winterizing your mower. You don't need to use the stuff to fuel your mower all summer.
ursusguy
AG
They have some type of spinning blade.
That run on either electricity or gas, or simply spinning from your foot power if you go old school.
Some you push, some you drive.
Some are cheap, some are expensive.
Everyone has an opinion on what is crap.

That should cover the schooling.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Who's bringing the sweet tea?

Btw... just sharpened the blade on my 2007 Wal-Mart, big rear wheel, no self propel, weedeater... Cranked on the first pull and cut beautifully in way too tall thick St. Augustine following 4 days of heavy rains.
RO519
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Who's bringing the sweet tea?

Btw... just sharpened the blade on my 2007 Wal-Mart, big rear wheel, no self propel, weedeater... Cranked on the first pull and cut beautifully in way too tall thick St. Augustine following 4 days of heavy rains.
Sweet tea? I'd rather a BudLight
RO519
AG
I ended up buying this mower up at Lowes during the 4th of July sale. We don't move in for a few more weeks, so I won't use it until the end of July.

eric76
AG
jtp01
AG
My 9 year old picked our last push mower since he does all of the mowing in the back yard where my riding mower won't go. Very simply told him to pick the one he wants. But he is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep. I bought the first one for him and we pay him for mowing. If he doesn't take care of it, he pays 1/2 of the cost of a new one. If this one lasts, $20/wk goes a long way.

I know "I'm a jerk because I make my kids work" but I was raised to work and never got paid outside of a roof and food. Each of my 2 sons have age appropriate chores to do and if they get them all done, they get paid. If only 1 is not completed, they don't get paid for the week and they start over on Sunday at noon.
aTm2004
AG
I mowed 3 acres once a week during the summer and didn't get jack **** for an allowance. I asked once if I could get some money for mowing and my dad asked me what I thought was a reasonable rent for my room.
agent-maroon
AG
Lots of good info on this thread. When's the best time to get a deal on a new Honda mower? Do these ever show up on the Black Friday specials?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Here is one for you guys.......

I use a push mower for mowing around trees and at the water's edge of a pond on some acreage that we own. It is pretty rough service and I will occasionally hit a tree stump or something. I loath the style of these lawn mowers that have the bag and little plastic attachment that you put on when you don't want the bag. That little plastic piece of **** comes off every time I hit something.

Is there an old school, non-self propelled lawn mower available anywhere that has the chute permanently attached to the deck of the lawn mower?
KaneIsAble
AG
Can't believe no one has mentioned a Lawnboy push mower. Only mower I've used since I was 12
rwtxag83
AG
I have a Troybilt 6.5 horse self propelled that has a spring mechanism that winds up when you kill the motor. When you re-start, the spring releases and the mower kicks right over. It has a Briggs Stratton motor that I'v tuned up two times in 17 years. I love it.

I wouldn't buy a Honda. I know they are great quality, but jeez, so is mine. It runs strong and has never let me down. It's not just about the money, I like the fact it's an American company.

I am strongly considering a robotic mower. We have a robotic sweeper for inside the house and we love it.

The robotic mowers are electric, and they mow every single day. They are not cheap; the cheapest ones run around $1000 right now. I keep thinking the price is going to come down. Husqvarna has one that is $2500.

The folks who own them say they bought for convenience, but now love it because of the massively improved quality of their lawn due to the daily mow.
F4GIB71
It's been a number of years since I had a push mower. Yard too large for that so have had a zero turn mower for these years. Last push mower I had was a Self propelled Honda with plastic deck and mulching blade. Best mower I ever had and went through several prior to that. One thing I really liked was there were two engagement handles. One was for the drive and the other for the blade. If you have to stop mowing to move a stick, kid's toy, etc. letting go of the "dead man handle" stopped the blade, not the engine. Perhaps they all do that today but Honda was the only one who had that feature in the day. Other mowers that stopped the engine "encouraged" you to wrap something around the handle to defeat that "safety" feature.
Ribeye-Rare
AG

Quote:

Other mowers that stopped the engine "encouraged" you to wrap something around the handle to defeat that "safety" feature.

Yep. I use bailing wire on my non-self-propelled 1993 WalMart 22" special with big rear wheels and 5 HP B&S.

I keep thinking that after 24 years the thing will lay down on me, but so far, so good. It's just a 'kid', however, compared to my 1961 Ford Powermaster Tractor that I use for shredding. Both will probably outlive me.

Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I'm in the market for a push mower myself now. I assume stores will be starting to clear inventory soon. Anyone know of any good deals right now?
Aggieangler93
AG
Most Home Depot and Lowes stores have a few out front on clearance.....also check your local sears.

I have a 30 year old craftsman mower with a Briggs and Stratton on it. It fires and mows fine year after year.

I keep it indoors, in a shed, and do as little as possible to it. I don't care what it looks like or what it sounds like. If that matters to you, then your mileage may vary.

I have mowed every place I have lived in my last 37 years. My son now mows mostly, when he is here on mowing day, and I can be home with him. I can't let him weedeat yet, as I overbought there, and it would cut his leg off!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
rwtxag83 said:

I have a Troybilt 6.5 horse self propelled that has a spring mechanism that winds up when you kill the motor. When you re-start, the spring releases and the mower kicks right over. It has a Briggs Stratton motor that I'v tuned up two times in 17 years. I love it.

I wouldn't buy a Honda. I know they are great quality, but jeez, so is mine. It runs strong and has never let me down. It's not just about the money, I like the fact it's an American company.

I am strongly considering a robotic mower. We have a robotic sweeper for inside the house and we love it.

The robotic mowers are electric, and they mow every single day. They are not cheap; the cheapest ones run around $1000 right now. I keep thinking the price is going to come down. Husqvarna has one that is $2500.

The folks who own them say they bought for convenience, but now love it because of the massively improved quality of their lawn due to the daily mow.
You would have to be bat**** crazy to consider this daily robotic mower, if you are married. My wife hates it when our yard is not mowed weekly and it is rainy. If she got used to seeing an exact razor edge cut daily, and then something went wrong with that robotic *******, I would have to get a divorce over it!!! Holy cow....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
HDeathstar
Honda or at least a Honda engine.

Self propelled so the kid can start mowing earlier.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.