Outdoors
Sponsored by

School me on Lawn Mowers

9,093 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HDeathstar
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are moving out of an apartment and into a house. Part of me is looking forwards to mowing the lawn. Is self propelled all that necessary? Which mowers are y'all using, and what would you recommend?
NoahAg
How big is the yard? Either way, get a Honda.
RO519
AG
1/4 acre +/-
NoahAg
RO519 said:

1/4 acre +/-
Then yeah, self-propelled. You'd probably have a hard time finding a mower that's not self-propelled.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I bought a non-self propelled 22" Weedeater brand from WalMart in 2007 during an internship. That summer I used to to mow just over an acre of so-called lawn and the lot adjacent to the place I was renting. I figured it would get me through the summer and started on a house wherever I ended up after school.

Dang thing still starts on the first or second pull. EVERY... SINGLE... TIME...
No Stabil, fuel stored in the tank during "winter", probably 4 oil changes in 10 years, 2 air filters, and I sharpen the blade every other year or so.

Cuts & mulches great and pushes easily through my thick St. Augustine lawn.
Mattressburn
AG
Get a Honda dad has had one since 1990 and it lived through teenage me being lazy and running over everything with it.
GSS
NoahAg said:

RO519 said:

1/4 acre +/-
Then yeah, self-propelled. You'd probably have a hard time finding a mower that's not self-propelled.
Seriously? That's about equal to a whopping 100 feet squared. And plenty of "push" mowers out there. I do recommend one of the "large rear wheels" model...seems easier to navigate/turn.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
will.mcg
AG
Yeah big wheels in the back are surprisingly better than small wheels all around.
Ark03
AG
GSS said:

NoahAg said:

RO519 said:

1/4 acre +/-
Seriously? That's about equal to a whopping 100 feet squared. And plenty of "push" mowers out there. I do recommend one of the "large rear wheels" model...seems easier to navigate/turn.

More like 4x that, after you subtract the footage for the house and drive.

I don't believe you'll ever get your money's worth out of a Honda, especially on that size yard, but a self-propelled mower definitely makes your life easier. Rear wheeled drive will do more for you than front wheel. To add to the anecdotel examples, I got 10+ years out of a Sears Briggs and Stratton with minimal maintenance, and am on my second.
dtkprowler
AG
A lot of people won't like this but I would definitely look into the battery powered brands. Battery powered machines have come A LONG way, and if you yard isn't very big, it will have more than enough charge to get you through it. Also, it is EXTREMELY nice to drop the battery in, push the button and it run like a top. No oil changes, no pulling cords, no storing gas, and it is very quiet. It is also very easy to store. Since you don't have fluids, you can fold it up and hang it on the wall, no problem.

May not be your cup of tea but I have really enjoyed mine without issue.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-Pro-60-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-21-in-Deck-Width-Cordless-Electric-Push-Lawn-Mower/1000197033?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-SosWalkBehindMowers-_-1000197033:Greenworks_Pro&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000197033&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=a188f527-0196-406b-bba2-1bbfa321f109&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4cLKBRCZmNTvyovvj-4BEiQAl_sgQrygeY0iQGkvYCNpw1I1gMiy1hxitoCVzHJuVd0ugRMaAoBX8P8HAQ
aTm2004
AG
RO519 said:

Wife and I are moving out of an apartment and into a house. Part of me is looking forwards to mowing the lawn. Is self propelled all that necessary? Which mowers are y'all using, and what would you recommend?
Let us know how you feel when it's 101* in August and you're wasting some of your Saturday doing it.
dolch
AG
I prefer high horsepower, large rear wheels, and no self propel

I typically mow faster than the self propelled mowers, and that's a decent amount of added weight.

Sharp blades are the most underrated component of any mower.

JYDog90
AG
aTm2004 said:

RO519 said:

Let us know how you feel when it's 101* in August and you're wasting some of your Saturday doing it.

Ain't it the truth! Reminds me of this oldie but goodie:
http://www.funny2.com/snow.htm
Formerly Willy Wonka
DevilD77
AG
I really like my Husqvarna with 4 wheel drive. It practically pulls me across the yard.
khkman22
AG
Ark03 said:

GSS said:

NoahAg said:

RO519 said:

1/4 acre +/-

More like twice that, after you subtract the footage for the house and drive.

I don't believe you'll ever get your money's worth out of a Honda, especially on that size yard, but a self-propelled mower definitely makes your life easier. Rear wheeled drive will do more for you than front wheel. To add to the anecdotel examples, I got 10+ years out of a Sears Briggs and Stratton with minimal maintenance, and am on my second.
Add me to the list of people that think Honda is unnecessary. I have a 13 year old Murray from Walmart that cost $120 or so at the time. I've done as close to no maintenance on it as you can do and it still gets the job done today. It's getting close to it's last legs, but if I took care of it like I would a more expensive mower, it would probably go another 5 years easily.
drummer0415
AG
I have a self propelled Honda with the plastic deck and I love it. Super light, super quiet, and dead nuts reliable.
RO519
AG
willie wonka said:

aTm2004 said:

RO519 said:

After being in an apartment for a little over 2 years, I really do look forwards to it...
aTm2004
AG
RO519 said:

willie wonka said:

aTm2004 said:

RO519 said:

After being in an apartment for a little over 2 years, I really do look forwards to it...
After growing up on and mowing 3 acres, and currently living in a subdivision, I dread having to mow. Yeah, it's nice when it's March and April when the humidity is low and in the 70's, but now through early September really suck.
RO519
AG
aTm2004 said:

RO519 said:

willie wonka said:

aTm2004 said:

RO519 said:

After growing up on and mowing 3 acres, and currently living in a subdivision, I dread having to mow. Yeah, it's nice when it's March and April when the humidity is low and in the 70's, but now through early September really suck.
I grew up on over an acre. I was the lawn care. Did all the mowing, edging, weed eating and blowing. I know its hot, I know it take time...
aad03
AG
I just got a Honda HRX217HYA for $729, and it's worth every penny. Starts on the first pull every single time, has a synthetic deck that will never rust, has 2 blades that cut grass like butter, and fully adjustable height and bag/mulch option. Only other residential mower I'd consider would be a Toro with the Honda motor.

I'm actually considering selling my HRX217 just to jump up to the Honda Commercial HRC216HDA. I'll let my HRX go for $700 if you're interested. It's literally 2 weeks old. email me at username at yahoo.

Class of '03
Salt of the water
AG
Missing: fart can muffler, unnecessary tow hook, and stuffed animal dangling from the rear.

BoozerRed78
AG
I've been through a lot of lawn mowers, and hands-down the best one I've ever owned is a Husqvarna with a Honda engine that I bought at Lowe's a few years ago. Something like this one.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Hu800Awdh-190cc-22-in-Self-Propelled-All-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Lawn-Mower-Mulching-Capable/50329483
ursusguy
AG
I use some random electric mower that I bought at Ace for less than $200. Folks said it wouldn't last a year. It's 10 years old now and running like a champ. Oddly enough, it is really good with tall grass.
water turkey
I've owned 2 in 25 years, both cheap Craftman mowers. Both never missed a lick.
Ark03
AG
aad03 said:

I just got a Honda HRX217HYA for $729, and it's worth every penny. Starts on the first pull every single time, has a synthetic deck that will never rust, has 2 blades that cut grass like butter, and fully adjustable height and bag/mulch option. Only other residential mower I'd consider would be a Toro with the Honda motor.

I'm actually considering selling my HRX217 just to jump up to the Honda Commercial HRC216HDA. I'll let my HRX go for $700 if you're interested. It's literally 2 weeks old. email me at username at yahoo.

Come back after you get 20-30 years out of that mower. That is what it would take for a walk-behind mower to justify that price, when you can get just as good of a cut with just as little effort for less than half the price.
NColoradoAG
Replaced a Craftsman with this Honda Push Mower. Pretty happy with it overall. Built very solidly. Love the rigidness of the handle and the contour for your hands. Starts easy and runs solid. The bag is nice and will fill all the way up instead of only 1/2 way like my old Craftsman. It is also very efficient, and a bit quieter than the Craftsman.

Only con i've found is it does not mulch all that well. Not totally sold on the "twin blade" system. I wish it had large back wheels, but I haven't noticed a drastic decrease in maneuverability over the Craftsman.

Purchased this at a local Honda authorized dealer for $390. Didn't need self propelled as I'm working with an average sized yard.
chickencoupe16
AG
BoozerRed78 said:

I've been through a lot of lawn mowers, and hands-down the best one I've ever owned is a Husqvarna with a Honda engine that I bought at Lowe's a few years ago. Something like this one.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Hu800Awdh-190cc-22-in-Self-Propelled-All-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Lawn-Mower-Mulching-Capable/50329483

Plus one for the Husqvarna with a Honda engine. Though, I chose to forgo the AWD and stick to RWD to save a little money.
Gigemags05
AG
I, too, am in the group that thinks you don't have to drop $500 on a mower.

I have a Troy built with a 675 series B&S motor that is on its 11th summer. Never treated the fuel and rarely change oil. Starts on the first pull every time.

I mow a half acre twice a week and have, at times, mowed mine and other yards up to four times a week for months at a time. I would personally not waste the money on self propelled.
MemphisAg1
AG
Most important criteria is buy a strong motor with lots of power. Will keep you from bogging down when you hit thick grass (didn't mow for 2 to 3 weeks due to reasons A, B, C, etc.) and having to go real slooooooow.
RCR06
AG
A lot of is grew up with push mowers and it was fine. They still work fine, but self propelled is really nice. I have a Toro personal pace with a Honda engine. Was it necessary? Probably not. I could have spent much less money and got something that got the job done. I'm not one that really enjoys yard work, I do it because paying someone 40 dollars a week to do it bugs the hell out of me. My dad had a toro personal pace and once you use one its hard to go back to other self propelled systems. To me I mow faster with it. Could be perception, but it definitely doesn't slow me down. I would go self propelled, just that much less work during the heat of the summer.

I have a small yard and during the summer I often think I should have bought a riding lawn mower. Of course it would be ridiculous for me to have a riding lawn mower, but during July it starts to seem like a good idea. Heat can play tricks with the mind.
mpl35
AG
Definitely get a self propelled if the wife is doing all the mowing or you are handicapped in some way. If not, buy a regular one. Don't drop 700 on one. Even if it lasts 25 years, the dollars just don't add up. You can go through multiple cheaper ones that will easily last 10 years.
El Chupacabra
Bought a Troy Bilt in 2009. Starts every time still. It sat for a year with no use, then sat through a Montana winter. Changed the spark plug, oil, and filter a couple weeks ago for the first time.
tmaggie50
AG
I have a cub cadet and its started every single time on the first pull for 2.5 years now. Its been a great mower.
aTm2004
AG
Since we're bragging on our mowers...My $98 Walmart "Weed Eater" special with a B&S engine that I got 9 years ago is still running strong and starts on the first pull each week. I should probably change the oil in it though.
NColoradoAG
tmaggie50 said:

I have a cub cadet and its started every single time on the first pull for 2.5 years now. Its been a great mower.
Do you mulch your clippings? I came down to the Cub Cadet and Honda and went with the Honda.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.