Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sargent, TX Lion/Panther/Cheetah

2,818 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FBG_Ag78
DallasAggies01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I went to a bar tonight in Sargent (the front porch used to be the other woman). Through some conversation the topic of small dogs going missing recently comes up. I say maybe coyote (hear them every night) or bobcat.

3 old timers all proceed to tell me individually that they have each seen a lion, panther and cheetah down here. One even said he sees crocodiles often.

I didn't try to argue instead nodded my head in mock agreement.
Greeze06
AG
I heard the lion one.
DallasAggies01
AG
I'm one of those of guys that believes even the best wildlife biologists and the greatest minds can't know about every creature that roams any piece of land . That said their stories I think they could be mistaken.

I am sitting here right now on our patio and listening to the coyotes howling.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sargent Tx collects quite a few crazies and even more drunks.
DallasAggies01
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Sargent Tx collects quite a few crazies and even more drunks.

True.
ursusguy
AG
But, we usually know when your sightings don't make sense and those huge tracks are a lab, not a panther.
45-70Ag
AG
Went to Sargent while an undergrad at A&M, buddies family had a lot there that was beyond isolated.

We didn't look at the weather and about fifteen of us went there to camp for the weekend. Throughout the night Friday I kept thinking seems like its raining kind of hard and bybsaturday morning it was a downpour of biblical proportions. Come to find out a tropical storm came in, we got out of just barely in time before we would have been trapped. Some time around November of '98.
DallasAggies01
AG
ursusguy said:

But, we usually know when your sightings don't make sense and those huge tracks are a lab, not a panther.

Absolutely 100% agree with that. I don't believe their are any of the cats mentioned in this area. Wasn't meaning to disparage the profession at all.
Ragoo
AG
October maybe. That was the TS that parked over the hill country and dumped 20" on NB in 24 hours.
DallasAggies01
AG
Ragoo said:

October maybe. That was the TS that parked over the hill country and dumped 20" on NB in 24 hours.

That's what I was thinking. My now mother in law had just bought a house on the Quadalupe in NB that September. Devastating to many people. Then the 2002 flood came and her house was 1 of 3 that the county condemned the lot.
water turkey
Were they wearing white rubber boots? If so, I believe them.
JaneDoe02
AG
When I was a kid we would hear these terrible shrieking sounds (pretty sure now that it was a fox), but my mother swore it was a Banshee.

She'd make everybody go in the house and close all of the blinds. At the time I thought she was just messing with me, trying to scare me, etc. But now, I think she didn't know what in the hell it was and was scared.

She also believes in ghosts, so I don't really take anything she says seriously.
45-70Ag
AG
Ragoo said:

That's probably right. Just remember it being mid semester of my freshman year. The rain was unreal.
Daddio
I live in Sargent ! I know where a couple of Cougars live. I will keep there addresses to my self.

I also saw the Cheetah on the beach last week she was wearing a cheetah spotted Bikini!!
JYDog90
AG
Daddio said:

I live in Sargent ! I know where a couple of Cougars live. I will keep there addresses to my self.

I also saw the Cheetah on the beach last week she was wearing a cheetah spotted Bikini!!

A cheetah spotted bikini on the beach in Sargent...

Thanks for NOT including pictures of that. The mental one in my head is quite enough.
Formerly Willy Wonka
ursusguy
AG
Cheetah, hippo, what's the difference?
schmellba99
AG
There's always the crazies in Sargent. Happens when you are at the end of the world like that and there isn't a whole lot of dilution to the local gene pool.

I will say that the only time I've ever seen something that made me think "what the living hell was that" was out on Chinquapin road not too terribly far from Sargent. It was the biggest cat I've ever seen with the longest tail in proportion to it's body that I've ever seen. But, it was at night and a long time ago and odds are my eyes just played tricks on me.

No crocs in Sargent, but there are plenty of places that big alligators hang out.

And of course, the requisite cougars of the human kind. Linda's used to be a happening place that was a lot of fun to go to.
DallasAggies01
AG
Loved Linda's back in the day. Have seen a few gators over the years
DallasAggies01
AG
Daddio said:

Where in Sargent are you? Our place is on live oak bend.
MouthBQ98
AG
Could be the hot cougar age wife of some weekend fisherman. There's a few scattered around any big fishing area. Probably NOT a local.
DallasAggies01
AG
They were around this weekend as well as some college aged girls
FBG_Ag78
AG
October 17, 1998
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.