Outdoors
Sponsored by

Plant identification

1,778 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SteveBott
barnag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone tell me what these are?

A)

B)

rwv2055
AG
A. Johnson grass
helloag99
weed
AgResearch
AG
A. Johnson grass
B. Foxtail species

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
ursusguy
AG
1. Bane of my existence
2. Yeah, foxtail of some type.
ag0207
AG
Johnson Grass & foxtail millet
tamc91
AG
I addition to being and invasive, non-native species, Johnson grass is quite possibly the best chigger habitat. This makes it public enemy #1 which is saying something when compared with the variety of culprits from Asia.
Allen76
AG
I wish I didn't know that first one. Then came Roundup.

Hoeing Johnson Grass in milo fields is no fun for a kid.... working in the sun, rattlesnakes, paper cuts from the leaves, and then it just grows back anyway because it is impossible to get all of the roots.
barnag
Sorghum?

Sean98
AG
Yes
gillom
AG
Where are these dove fields?
Martin Cash
AG
Allen76 said:

I wish I didn't know that first one. Then came Roundup.

Hoeing Johnson Grass in milo fields is no fun for a kid.... working in the sun, rattlesnakes, paper cuts from the leaves, and then it just grows back anyway because it is impossible to get all of the roots. rhizomes.
FIFY
SteveBott
AG
I hate JG. I dug up their roots for years in my garden. If you leave a one inch cutoff root it regenerates and starts over. Seen that many times as I dug them up in the fall
SteveBott
AG
Oh and Round Up does not kill all the roots either. Ask me how I know.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dad used to carry a mason jar full of sodium chlorate (NaClO3) on the tractor. Bunch of holes punched in the lid. When he saw a spot of Johnson Grass, he'd salt the ground with it, killing the ground. It was slow, but effective. Many an hour I'd ride the 4020 with him, then get tossed off at a Johnson Grass spot. I would kill Johnson Grass under he made the round and picked me back up.

Sodium chlorate is a fantastic oxidizer. Mix it 1:1 with sugar, and it males a flare that will burn like a SOB. Or so I'm told....

Remember the Mythbusters episode where they proved the "myth" that certain herbicides, allowed to dry on jeans, made them highly flammable? But they wouldn't name the herbicide.....
SteveBott
AG
My final thought F' JC,

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.