Outdoors
Sponsored by

Water line break between meter and house

1,688 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JYDog90
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a common problem in Bryan?

My sister bought a house in Bryan built in 1982 and the city is offering an insurance coverage for $5 a month to cover water line problems.

It has a zero deductible and covers up $4000 per incident.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
aggielostinETX
AG
Double check. It's not the city. Dallas did the same thing a few years ago and let the company contact the residents via an official looking mailer.

BQ_90
AG
In college station. My line has broke three times. First time in 06 when I moved in, pipe cracked going into meter, called emergency plumber cost me $300, second time was on the meter side and city had to fix. Last time this winter cost me $500, had to back about 15 feet to replace line to meter. I should have fixed it right first time. Also second time called moron in phone book who wasn't licensed guy, again my fault.

I'd pay $60 year for insurance. But that's me.
skelso
AG
Deats is correct, it's a 3rd party offering coverage. My family is in the plumbing business in San Antonio. I worked summers there all through middle school and high school. I don't remember line breaks being that common then. I've lived in my house in Bryan since 1997 and have not had a single line break. Based on the above, I believe it's not a common issue anywhere. The insurance company probably believes the same or they wouldn't insure such a costly repair for such a low premium.
CS78
I own a number of B/CS early 1980s houses. Water supply line breaks between the meter and house have been pretty common. Normally a $150-$300 repair. Its common but no way I would mess with insurance for it. Even if it were free, it wouldn't be worth the headache.
aggielostinETX
AG
CS78 said:

I own a number of B/CS early 1980s houses. Water supply line breaks between the meter and house have been pretty common. Normally a $150-$300 repair. Its common but no way I would mess with insurance for it. Even if it were free, it wouldn't be worth the headache.
In Dallas, it costs $$$ b/c the old houses have clay/iron lines that are extremely degraded and required complete replacement.
Secolobo
AG
Deats said:

CS78 said:

In Dallas, it costs $$$ b/c the old houses have clay/iron lines that are extremely degraded and required complete replacement.
That's sewer.
Old water is either steel or polybutylene.
aggielostinETX
AG
Duh, your right.
FCBlitz
Mine broke three feet from the meter. Dang pipe was PVC. I replaced with steel.

Happened in winter and it was dang cold.
The Fife
In 13 years of owning houses I've had a redtip put a hairline crack in a water pipe exactly once. Even if I didn't fix it myself for under $3 insurance would not have paid off here.
Apache
AG
Bedding water lines in sand is a good way to minimize these types of problems (for a while). Helps reduce the soil movement and eliminates rocks rubbing against pipe.
Tree roots are also a major culprit in breaks such as these. They encircle pipes & crush them down to restrict flow, or pull them apart at the joints.
JAW3336
AG
The Fife said:

In 13 years of owning houses I've had a redtip put a hairline crack in a water pipe exactly once. Even if I didn't fix it myself for under $3 insurance would not have paid off here.
This insurance would have paid, there is no deductible.

I did advise her not to take the insurance. SO she will probably have hers break in the next couple of weeks.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
JYDog90
AG
Mine broke at a tree root 6" from driveway and there wasn't enough room on the other side of the driveway to bore under so they had to break out the concrete and went back in with PEX. Cost me $3200. I would buy the insurance but I wonder if it would cover the driveway work or just the pipe.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.