Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pronghorn - Texas Monthly article

3,649 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JD05AG
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting read. I had no idea about the population decline. Sounds like they are not the most intelligent creatures in the world.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-purest-type/
strohag
AG
They had a couple episodes on the Lone Star law show this season showing relocation efforts
BurnetAggie99
Our Vet who is also fellow Ag has made it his personal mission to save the Pronghorn here in Texas.

http://www.dailytrib.com/2013/08/16/burnet-veterinarian-dan-mcbride-named-man-of-the-year-in-texas-agriculture/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasobserver.org/for-texas-pronghorn-an-unusual-500-mile-journey/amp/
marcel ledbetter
The BLM has been requiring "antelope fences" on their cattle grazing allotments for years. At least in areas with lots of antelope. Instead of four or five strand barbed wire, an antelope fence has three strands with the bottom strand being smooth wire and set a little higher from the ground than usual. Unless they get panicked, they can crawl under it fairly easy.
Credible Source
AG
At first I was like, what does this have to do with Black lives matter?
jtp01
AG
We have a healthy herd on our farm in Moore County, TX. They are good for the lazy blue tick coonhound to chase and to look at. I shot one 5 or 6 years ago. Was a hell of a fun hunt and pretty good eats.

However, there is a place West of the farm that used to have 30-40 on it that we rarely see anymore. A few years ago, my wife and I were headed to the farm to check sprinklers and the entire herd was trotting down the middle of the county road like ants in a line. I finally honked the horn in the pickup when they got about 30 yards from us and they turned 180 degrees and ran about 1/2 mile away from us until they found an opening in the fence on the South side of the road. It was really cool, but creepy at the same time. Had my wife not been there, I would have been accused of having a few too many cold beers while checking water.
Sean98
AG
This is how I know I'm in a better spot than many. That BLM might mean black lives matter never even entered my mind. ...and I think that would go for any acronym you'd see in a Facebook/Tweeter rant.
Blue Duck
AG

I saw one a couple of weeks ago with tags in it's ears. I assumed it was part of a relocation project but I'm not for sure.
sunchaser
AG

reddog90
AG
Cool article. Why is it dated July 2017?
MouthBQ98
AG
July issue out in late June? Not terribly unusual.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

The BLM has been requiring "antelope fences" on their cattle grazing allotments for years. At least in areas with lots of antelope. Instead of four or five strand barbed wire, an antelope fence has three strands with the bottom strand being smooth wire and set a little higher from the ground than usual. Unless they get panicked, they can crawl under it fairly easy.

Very little BLM land in Texas. I'm pretty sure that TPWD has been working with ranchers in Texas to do the same thing though.
CavitationAG
AG
Saw a few of them northeast of Marathon, TX recently when I was heading out of there. Pretty animals.
JD05AG
AG
See them every time we go to Marathon, and on a friends ranch between ft Davis and Marfa. See them frequently in Dawson and Borden counties. Saw my first in glasscock county, was told it's probably the only one left.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
JD05AG said:

See them every time we go to Marathon, and on a friends ranch between ft Davis and Marfa. See them frequently in Dawson and Borden counties. Saw my first in glasscock county, was told it's probably the only one left.

Interesting. Been all over Dawson and Borden counties and never seen one. Seen a handful in Garza county between Snyder and Post. Where in Dawson and Borden counties if you don't mine me asking?

Can't speak to the far west TX area other than that I'm pretty sure that's where the relocation efforts are taking place.
Ag65Son
AG
Look on the south side of US Highway 180 from about 10 miles east of Gail all the way to the caprock between Gail and Lamesa. I always see quite a few in that stretch.

I also see them between Snyder and Big Spring, more toward Big Spring.

They're a little harder to spot in that country due to the mesquite trees.
JD05AG
AG
Ag65Son said:

Look on the south side of US Highway 180 from about 10 miles east of Gail all the way to the caprock between Gail and Lamesa. I always see quite a few in that stretch.

I also see them between Snyder and Big Spring, more toward Big Spring.

They're a little harder to spot in that country due to the mesquite trees.

Always in the cotton fields around there too.
Ag65Son
AG
Lol, yes! They do seem to like those cotton fields north of Big Spring.
JD05AG
AG

This is the only one I've seen in Glasscock. Sorry for the crappy quality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.