Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing Corpus Christi surf and Packery jetties...

1,726 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CTGilley
ontherocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for 4th of July week. Want to catch fish (that aren't whiting). That's all I've ever caught and would like to try my hand at something different. Will be in a condo for 3 days and need some ideas of what to do in the surf and jetties. Should I cut up whiting for reds? Catch bait with my throw net for any other kind of fish? Never lived near the sea, so I'm still kind of new to Saltwater fishing. I have a spinning rod with 50lb braided line FYI.
MouthBQ98
AG
Probably overkill on the line unless you are shark or redfishing, but it will work. Your best bet will be live bait under a rattle cork, or gulp plastics, to be honest.
ontherocks
AG
Thanks for the advice. Can I use gulp under the popping cork or must it be live shrimp/croaker?
Lonestar06
Google the zones for what fish are in what area. It should be Spec's in the the first gut moving deeper as the morning gets longer. Flounder at the base of the jetty in the gut. Whiting in the second gut. Smacks toward the end of there is green water with artificials. Shrimp at the end for mangrove snapper. The hard part is staying away from the pin perch that hit everything before it can hit the bottom.
Brahma
Good luck getting the right wind/surf conditions to fish the surf down there. We usually go for a week or so each year and we rarely get a good day to fish the surf. The wind always seem to be blowing hard down there!

We end up either fishing the inside of the jetty in the channel or Laguna Madre. We mainly use live shrimp under a popping cork and for the surf you can't go wrong with a silver or gold spoon.
Salt of the water
AG
Catch the whiting and send a fist sized chunk of their head back out for sharks and bull reds. Tips and tactics here: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2857318
ontherocks
AG
Thanks guys!
EFE
AG
newsome said:

Thanks for the advice. Can I use gulp under the popping cork or must it be live shrimp/croaker?

Use the hell out of it, works just fine
CTGilley
AG
Pm or email me and I will give you some tips. I grew up there fishing every weekend.

Email is Username +10 at gmail
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.