Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need DVM help re: parvo

1,216 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OnlyForNow
SPSAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sister-in-law and her husband in Galveston Co. purchased a puppy from a breeder in Dallas and made the transaction I believe about 4-6 weeks ago. (I share yall's opinion on buying vs rescuing, by the way.) Today was the day they'd go up to Dallas to pick up their pup and take him home.

Yesterday, the breeder called them and told them that one of her puppies had tested positive for parvo. I am not sure whether this puppy was in the same litter as my sister-in-law's or not because I believe this breeder has two or three different litters of pups. When the infected pup started showing symptoms, the breeder took the pup to the vet to get tested right away, and when she tested positive, she kept her at the vet, and she hasn't been back in contact with any of the rest of the pups since. None of the other pups have shown any signs of having parvo.

My sister-in-law and her husband decided to go ahead and bring their puppy home today. My wife and I have a six-year-old dog of our own that we keep up-to-date on regular immunizations and received his DHPPC vaccine when he was a puppy, and my question is whether we need to avoid any contact at all with this puppy, or if the risk of spreading it to our dog would be low with simple contact. I just don't know enough about how easily it can be spread. TIA
FishrCoAg
AG
Would be best to avoid contact even though your dog is unlikely to get sick. At least for a couple weeks.
DVM97
AG
A 6 year old well vaccinated dog is very unlikely to get parvo,

DVM
SPSAg05
AG
Thanks for the help folks!
AggieChemist
AG
SPSAg05 said:

(I share yall's opinion on buying vs rescuing, by the way.)
Cool! You also agree that this is America and if somebody wants to buy a dog of their choosing, they should be free to do so without self-righteous internet *******s impugning their humanity?
OnlyForNow
AG
Did you get a money back agreement with the breeder? - if your pup ends up with parvo and dying?
SPSAg05
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Did you get a money back agreement with the breeder? - if your pup ends up with parvo and dying?
From what I understand, the breeder put an insurance policy on all of the puppies which would cover any and all expenses should their pup get sick (plus money back in the event of a fatal illness, of course).
OnlyForNow
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.