Outdoors
Sponsored by

Making beef roast

1,356 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Posted this on the food board, bit this board gets more traffic.

I have 3 shoulder clods that I need to make for a function tomorrow. We are having roast. I have a large propane smoker I was thinking on using and not adding the smoke.

Thoughts?

What do I season them with?

I am putting pans underneath them to collect the drippings for gravy.

Do I need to sear them?
Shelton98
AG
Shoulder roast? I'd put them in a slow cooker tonight with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix per roast.... and some meat tenderizer. Make some brown gravy in the morning to go with it. Pick up some hoagies for roast beef po'boys...
jgh85Ag
AG
By my guess that it is 50 to 60 lbs of meat. I have cooked clods on my drum. Your propane smoker should be fine.
jgh85Ag
AG
Just salt and pepper and maybe garlic and onion powder.
AgsMnn
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Just salt and pepper and maybe garlic and onion powder.

That's what I did. Have a pan underneath for drippings to make the gravy.
jgh85Ag
AG
Where did you get clods? They are hard to find in San Antonio.
AsburyAg
AG
Use those Reynolds cooking bags. Sprinkle liberally with Montreal seasoning and meat tenderizer. Cook according to enclosed directions. Make gravy from the drippings in the bag.

This is easy as can be. Put it in the oven and walk away. Come back in 2 or 3 hours and you are good to go. Plus with those bags,clean up takes no time.
AgsMnn
AG
Turned out great. Made lots of gravy and had lots of compliments.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Just for future reference, for any kind of roast, particularly those with good cuts, brown as much of the roast as possible then put it in the crockpot with whatever else. I like to cook the onions in the pan I browned the roast in, deglaze with red wine, and add to the cooker with potatoes and carrots. You can use any number of seasonings. The soup mix is a good idea. Anyway, even for slow cooked meats, the high heat adds flavors that the low and slow methods don't. However, you don't want to use this for tough cuts of meat like brisket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.