Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trapping snakes

9 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
Jack Squat 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am seriously looking for some help.

We have a couple of commercial buildings in town with a water leak problem between the few feet that divides them, and it stands water currently. A guy working down there said there were two large snakes in the water puddle, and swears they were water moccasins and oh yea, one was as big around as his forearm. He builds a lot of ranch fences so I more or less assume he knows how to identify them. Even if they are not venomous I need to try to get them out of there, before having the plumbing guy find and fix the problem. One building is on a slab and the other on pier and beam and it's dark with pretty tight quarters there. Weird deal I know right in the middle of town and the leak has not been there too long. It's not like a wildlife habitat.

Anyways, does anyone know how I could capture these critters?? Hunting and blasting, nor blowtorches are options. Can you trap them, or otherwise bait them??? Help.
SteveBott
AG
In
Elephant Tears
I would bet all of your money that they aren't water moccasins. I know that doesn't help you but you're welcome anyway.
SanAntoneAg
AG
What does "in town" mean?

Oh, and they aren't water moccasins.
Serious Lee
tie some lines to the pipes and let some perch swim around the puddles?
helloag99
what town?
Jack Squat 83
AG
Small town in the Victoria area.

Sorry my OP was pretty weak. The location is pretty much in the middle of town and is a very small, isolated wet spot with no nearby waterways, ditches, creeks, etc. That's what is weird about his story and I agree I seriously doubt they are moccasins. I just wondered if anyone ever used a live trap or something. The problem is there is only 3 feet or so between two large buildings and one is 2 feet or so off the ground. Basically if I get in there and root around I'll be face to face with whatever kind of snake it is when I find it/them. I've never been scared of snakes but I'd rather not do that if something else will work.

Stay tuned I might have a good Outdoors story before long.
OnlyForNow
AG
Use a minnow trap, the kind with openings on both ends and but some crawfish toads or some minnows in it. Snake goes in to eat, can't get out due to design.

You will have one PISSED OFF snake when your done.
DuckDown2013
AG
IN
Jack Squat 83
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Use a minnow trap, the kind with openings on both ends and but some crawfish toads or some minnows in it. Snake goes in to eat, can't get out due to design.

You will have one PISSED OFF snake when your done.
Thanks, will give it a go and report back of course.
BCO07
AG
Those things are water snake magnets. We had made the flat square ones for perch and we would fairly often pull them up to find one or two unhappy water snakes. Getting them out was an adventure to say the least
normaleagle05
AG
Now that OP has some direction in this quandry.

Snake trap....it just sounds nasty.
BCO07
AG
Pretty much is
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
If there will be recording and posting of said snake catching for educational purposes here on the OB, please be kind and don't record in vertical mode.
12f Mane
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

He builds a lot of ranch fences so I more or less assume he knows how to identify them.
This is usually the opposite of true
12f Mane
AG
Where exactly in Victoria? I'll be there in a few weekends and will go get everything out for a 6 pack of good beer. There are definitely cottonmouths in Victoria but odds are its some species of water snake.

Here's a legit snake trap if you want to spend more time and money than is necessary:

Beware of the results though

reddog90
AG
That's fascinating. Did you build that? Why were you trapping those corals? Is the trap house baited or do they just keep going along the fences and eventually enter the house on their own?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sounds like there is already an issue with the structure, so just go ahead and blow thewhole thing up and start a new, snake free structure.
kmac30
AG
This! I want more info on that contraption. and more pictures.
12f Mane
AG
I've built them in the past and occasionally still use them but I didn't build that one. Pretty simple design, not unlike a crab trap. It's called drift fence trapping, no bait needed. Snakes hit the drift fence, travel along it until hopefully hitting the funnel and going into the trap.

That trap was part of Louisiana pine snake research in east Texas. Only way to reliably see them, although they are essentially extirpated now. Always got quality by-catch, like the corals.

Few more shots from that project:

SabineAg
AG
That is pretty genius, I may have to experiment with this
MouthBQ98
AG
Get a pinfish trap and some garden border edging and you can do the same thing.
12f Mane
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Get a piggy perch trap and some garden border edging and you can do the same thing.
FIFY

But yes, that would probably work just fine.
Aggieangler93
AG
IN
jpd301
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

That is pretty genius, I may have to experiment with this
A huge part of me wants to build one on some family land in Centerville as I am incredibly curious as to what we would catch. On the other hand, I'm kind of terrified of having to deal with a box full of who knows how many copperheads when one is too many.
AgEng06
AG
BCO07 said:

Pretty much is
It's a reptile trap
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.