Outdoors
Sponsored by

Info graphic on the Longest Sniper Kill

3,632 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Log
TwoMarksHand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this while perusing r/longrange. I know reddit blows for the most part, but there are a few subs that are cool to check out. Hopefully the link works

Edit: maybe this:
https://imgur.com/ZnuWhPz
harge57
AG
Is that indicating the bullet drop would be ~275 feet?
TwoMarksHand
AG
That's what it looks like
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Translation: takes a lot of skill and an awesome equipment set up to even think about taking that shot, but even given the above it's not repeatable.
Mathguy64
AG
So based on that he killed that dude with the smallest mortar in the world.
Buck Compton
AG
At least they got the direction of the oval correct. Elevation is science, wind is voodoo.

You can't know the effect of wind unless you're there, but yes, you walk the shot in and inside a certain area you just pop another shot because it's inside the MOE of your calcs.

There is a TON of luck involved.
GarryowenAg
AG
mathguy86 said:

So based on that he killed that dude with the smallest mortar in the world.

Yep, same range as a 60mm mortar.
matthewj042
powerbelly
AG
45-70Ag
AG
So what is your longest successful shot while hunting?

Myself, somewhere in the ballpark of 230 yards according to the rangefinder. I cant imagine adding a couple thousand to that.
Dr. Faustus
AG
420 yards on a doe. The scale of this shot blows my mind.
Mathguy64
AG
Roughly 250 yds. From the only time I ever hunted in STX. Otherwise its East Texas piney woods and yaupon and 80-100 yds.
Buck Compton
AG
Irish_Man said:

Myself, somewhere in the ballpark of 230 yards according to the rangefinder. I cant imagine adding a couple thousand to that.
My stand is generally 125-150 from the main feeder. A few of the shooting lanes have visibility out to 350-450. Probably about 250 is my longest successful deer shot.

I had an elk lined up at 500 last year, but it was the first day and wasn't sure I wanted to take a barely legal one... I would have taken that shot, though. Longest target I've hit is around 1,000 from a bench. Would love to find a place I can shoot longer than that, though, just to try.
SunrayAg
AG
I just remember the first time I took a shot with a .50 bmg at the whittington center 1000 yard range. I lined it up, took the shot, looked up and said "crap I missed". About the time I was half way through the word missed, the bullet whacked the target 10" below the bulls eye.
Central Committee
AG
420 yard on a New Mexico elk hunt. Missed a few times from 600 to 800 yards.

Cannot conceptualize thousands of yards.
agingcowboy
AG
Irish_Man said:

My longest successful shot is 420 yds on an elk.

Here's me missing a 750 yard shot on a coyote.

At 0:41 you can see the puff of snow right over his back. At that angle I bet it gave him a hair cut.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Warsteiner
510 yards on a doe. A perfect heart shot with my .270 off a bipod. A cold and calm morning. I held the cross hairs above her head and touched off.
Im a good shot but that was luck. I never practiced at that range
tdm89
302 yards with a 10/22.

Dirt 05
AG
If you put Irish_man, Angry panda, mathguy86, Buck Compton, SunrayAg, Central Committee, agingcowboy, Warsteiner, and tdb89's long shots all together it would only be 29 yards further than this bad ass Canuck's!
agingcowboy
AG
Dirt 05 said:

If you put Irish_man, Angry panda, mathguy86, Buck Compton, SunrayAg, Central Committee, agingcowboy, Warsteiner, and tdb89's long shots all together it would only be 29 yards further than this bad ass Canuck's!
Got-eem!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Log
AG
585 yds on a 26" Aoudad ram.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.