Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rubber Mulch

1,793 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JYDog90
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently moved into a new house. The flower beds and trees all sit in beds of rubber mulch. Anyone else have rubber mulch? Pros/Cons? Thinking I'd like to replace it with the real thing. Thanks in advance.
RM1993
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

Recently moved into a new house. The flower beds and trees all sit in beds of rubber mulch. Anyone else have rubber mulch? Pros/Cons? Thinking I'd like to replace it with the real thing. Thanks in advance.
Pros: It will last forever

Cons: You have old tires in your yard and it will last forever...
P.H. Dexippus
AG
IX - Thou must understand that rubber mulch is the worst - Bet you didn't think I could slam anything harder than dyed mulch, did you? But let's defend the use or rubber mulch in a couple areas. I can see the need to recycle old tires. I just don't want them in my landscape. I have seen rubber mulch used successfully in dog runs, hiking trails and kids' playgrounds. However, in the landscape, what leaches from rubber mulch is 10 times worse than the leaching from dyed or ash-infused mulches. It introduces dangerous levels of zinc and other harmful chemicals that can kill root systems. Plus it heats up unmercifully in our summers, also killing roots.

Read more: http://ktrh.iheart.com/onair/gardenline-with-randy-lemmon-25172/reminder-the-10-commandments-of-mulch-12711048/#ixzz4klaXlxRu
DatTallArchitect
AG
During undergrad I had a professor have us research that for some reason. What stuck with me was that they said it can be bad about breeding bacteria. The research I saw indicated you were better off using tree mulch. That's been a little while back, but not that long ago.
normaleagle05
AG
Used tires...too toxin to bury, too toxic to burn. Let's chop them into small pieces, greatly increasing their reactive surface area, and then pour then around the house or onto the kid's playground. On the ground. Where they play.

I can't believe this is even still legal with all the other nanny.gov stuff we have.
HDeathstar
Rubber mulch and astroturf are huge bacteria breeding grounds.
Presley OBannons Sword
normaleagle05 said:

Used tires...too toxin to bury, too toxic to burn. Let's chop them into small pieces, greatly increasing their reactive surface area, and then pour then around the house or onto the kid's playground. On the ground. Where they play.

I can't believe this is even still legal with all the other nanny.gov stuff we have.
because the nanny state gets confused when recycling something has a negative effect. this could probably put the entire democrat party into complete paralysis.
JYDog90
AG
Now there are cases pending before the Supreme Court where Christian schools are suing for the right to have the government dump the stuff on their playgrounds.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.