Outdoors
Sponsored by

Video of mad woodworking skills for Agrams

7,550 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link

STL_aTm
AG
incredible
TwoMarksHand
AG
My goodness...I could watch that video all day!
Wodanaz
AG
Beautiful! I hope he has many children to pass his knowledge to.
NoahAg
After all that work, no way I'm putting it in the water.

tlfw378
AG
Wow. I have never had the desire to build a cedar conoe. And now that I have I have seen a video of the process...I know I don't want to. But that was one if the coolest videos ever. Thank you for posting. Monster wood skills.
schmellba99
AG
That was awesome.

And that takes a level of patience I wouldn't have in about 12 lifetimes.
agrams
AG
I am kind of a journeyman at a bunch of different woodworking stuff, but I am still amazed at those who take on very specialized projects and techniques and become highly skilled at them. A few items on my list to get better at is inlays, hollow vessel turning, and more efficient at hand cut dovetails.

One day I want to make a maloof style rocker... one day....

nealan
You'll put your eye out kid!!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Same process dad and I used too build soap box derby racers back in the 90s.

Of course for added strength we carbon covered the outside ands painted it. The wood was only visible on the inside.
AgLA06
AG
I don't think I could bring myself to use it once it was done.

Amazingly beautiful!
I-Haul
AG
Everytime he took the drill, planer, rotary sander, or power saw to it freehand, I thought "Holy Smokes. He is going to ruin it and have to start all over."

Then I realized that he is much better at this than me and probably knew how to fix it even if he did screw it up.

Also, I secretly hope that the older guy in the video is his dad or father figure that taught him a lot of that stuff. What a neat way to spend some father/son time.

Scriffer
AG
NoahAg said:

After all that work, no way I'm putting it in the water.

Username does not check out.
Knotman
Beautiful job.
How much time to build?
How much for materials?
How much to build one for me?
Thanks!
Burdizzo
AG
You don't put that canoe in the water. You hang it up in your Outdoors themed bar.
penn02
AG
Yeah, cause the first buddy that bangs a paddle off the side, would catch my paddle up side his head.
FIDO 96
AG
Someday...If I were to die and be reincarnated!
Ragoo
AG
My in-laws neighbor is building a strip canoe very similar to this one. It takes him almost 2 hours to lay one 1.5" strip. It was amazing to see in person but only for the extreme hobbyist to actually attempt.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Very cool video.

I don't know how he stands the resin and lacquer fumes with no mask in confined spaces. I restored an old boat with my dad when I was in high school (nothing on the difficulty level shown here) and can still remember the vapor headache working with smaller quantities.
FSGuide
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Very cool video.

I don't know how he stands the resin and lacquer fumes with no mask in confined spaces. I restored an old boat with my dad when I was in high school (nothing on the difficulty level shown here) and can still remember the vapor headache working with smaller quantities.

Maybe he's a veteran who has had to burn barrels of $**t. Anything else smells like a field of honeysuckle.
agrams
AG
The resin will be pretty odorless most likely. I didn't see it all but it looked like he only used resin for both inside and out. Lacquer wouldn't be ideal for that application in my opinion.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I wonder how long that actually took...

I can start projects, but then I have to finish them. I can't stand waiting to move to the next step. Something like that must have taken months and would have killed me.
harge57
AG
Starts video...... no way I am watching all 11 minutes.....

11 minutes later...... WOW..... 8)
dubi
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I wonder how long that actually took...

I can start projects, but then I have to finish them. I can't stand waiting to move to the next step. Something like that must have taken months and would have killed me.
I read 9 months in one article.
AlaskanAg99
AG
agrams said:

I am kind of a journeyman at a bunch of different woodworking stuff, but I am still amazed at those who take on very specialized projects and techniques and become highly skilled at them. A few items on my list to get better at is inlays, hollow vessel turning, and more efficient at hand cut dovetails.

One day I want to make a maloof style rocker... one day....

There's a community college in so Cal with a woodworking school.

https://www2.palomar.edu/pages/woodworking/

I spent 2 years there and took 12 classes. One of the most advanced courses is where the Maloof Rocking Chair was made, but the long list of pre-requisites was nuts. But it was a helkuva good deal for the total classes you could take. A friend got heavily it guitar making. Really wish there was something like this in Houston.
AlaskanAg08
AG
Its amazing the things a man can do when he doesn't have a wife.
agnerd
AG
I don't need boiling water and clamps to make wood bend. I just buy straight wood from the lumber yard, put it in my garage for a few weeks until I'm ready to use it, and BAM curved wood.
JKAG10
AG
A friend of mines dad built one, not quite as nice as this one but damn nice for making it from scratch. We took it on its maiden voyage in Galveston Bay. I wanted to puke when we started running over oysters and I didn't spend a minute working on it.
HDeathstar
Already have a weekend project.

I thought when he was lifting it into the house, he was done and hanging it on the wall in his man cave. Never to see water.

Oh to have time.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I saw that video a few weeks ago

Had no idea it was Agrams

Wow that is bootiful
agrams
AG
It's not me. I just got tagged due to my hobby.
shiftyandquick
Ag83
AG

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRX9r3vMU9Q][/url]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRX9r3vMU9Q][/url]
RK
AG
My hobbies generally involve a lot of planning and expectation that is usually followed by forty-five minutes of attempted execution before saying "f it" and starting drinking.
AlaskanAg99
AG
RK said:

My hobbies generally involve a lot of planning and expectation that is usually followed by forty-five minutes of attempted execution before saying "f it" and starting drinking.

Start homebrewing. A good way to make cash vanish into a product that gets you drunk!

I'd like to make a stand up paddle board.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.