Outdoors
Sponsored by

Remington R1

1,177 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmellba99
MROD92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have experience with them? Do they provide decent platforms to customize?
Thanks
BenderRodriguez
AG
What do you mean "customize"
MROD92
Sorry Bender, should have been more specific. Just work with as far as swapping triggers, maybe upgrade in bushing, barrel... just wondering if anyone has used one personally and if it performs ok and could be used to build upon later to increase accuracy
CTGilley
AG
I was wondering the same thing with the rebate but I don't know if I could bring myself to buy another Remington product.
BenderRodriguez
AG
CTGilley said:

I was wondering the same thing with the rebate but I don't know if I could bring myself to buy another Remington product.

I share your disdain for current Remington products of all shapes and sizes.

For the most part, the R1 has seemed to escape that reputation, but unless you're a pretty good gunsmith yourself, I hesitate to recommend buying any stock production 1911 with the idea of "customizing" it. Unless you already have the parts and knowledge, by the time you buy either by the parts (hopefully just once unless you manage to really screw one up installing it) and tools or buying the parts and paying a gunsmith to customize it for you, you probably would have been better off just buying a nicer 1911 in the first place money wise.

Just my .02 on the 1911 game. Production level 1911s like the R1 and Springfield Operator are not bad guns at all in stock form, but you can quickly go down a money rabbit hole trying to customize them to even close to the level of higher end 1911s you could have bought instead in the first place.

CTGilley
AG
NVM

sorry for the edits
schmellba99
AG
CTGilley said:

What are your thoughts on the SR1911?
MAYBE a smidge up from the R1, but not much. Both are good production 1911's that won't break the bank and you can take out and shoot without worrying about covering the world in felt and bubble wrap for fear of a scratch that you get on a high end gun.

Haven't read much in the way of horror stories about either run - also haven't read much in the way of drooling over them like they are a diamond in the rough either. Both are solid production, but won't have the polished rail and chase between the slide and frame and neither is going to have a world class sapphire polished trigger and sear either. Both will have some sintered parts here and there, but unless you abuse the hell out of them - shouldn't be much of an issue.

Upgrades depend on your level of mechanical know how. Some are easy, some require light fitting, some require you to have a good magnifying glass, file and patience.
MROD92
Thanks for the responses, I've heard some horror stories re some of the Remington products. But stating the R1 seems to have escaped it, is it fair to say it will shoot decent accuracy at 15 yards in and feed properly? How does it compare to Rock Island?
schmellba99
AG
I would put it above a Rock Island, better finish and probably slightly better tolerances.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.