Outdoors
Sponsored by

Are Cannon safes okay for the money?

2,001 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by VanZandt92
El Chupacabra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Costco deal

https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS5940-Executive-Series-Safe-32.7-CuFt%2c-60-min-Fire-Protection%2c-40%22W-x-24%22D-x-59%22H%2c-Electronic-Lock.product.100349769.html
HSEAG13
Canon safes are perfectly good. Some people may complain about where they are made, fire rating, and type of steel.

But if your primary goal is a quality safe that keeps firearms out of the reach of guests and children. It is perfectly alright
sjislepilot
AG
I have a 12 gun that I really like.

Seems like steel is ok. It's nice and heavy. Keypad works great.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have the 24 ish version of that from cosco. No problems so far. Thankfully the house hasn't burned down and Cindy didn't flood me out, so I can't speak to that. The keypad works great and no battery issues in the half year I have owned it. Still smells new inside.
Shiner Bock
AG
I got the Cannon 64 with electronic lock for $599 from academy when they ran a clearance on them. The first two stores I called sold out of them within hours of the deal starting, and the third I called held the last one for me. Really heavy! Pleased with it overall.
LSB_2002
AG
Shiner Bock said:

I got the Cannon 64 with electronic lock for $599 from academy when they ran a clearance on them. The first two stores I called sold out of them within hours of the deal starting, and the third I called held the last one for me. Really heavy! Pleased with it overall.
Got the same deal! Fantastic buy! I am very pleased with the purchase.
JoeCephas1974
I have no complaints.
cbr
AG
Not to be an ass but legit question. Why would anyone ever buy a safe with anything electronic in it? I can't comprehend why anyone, ever, would do that under any circumstances.

It has a battery which will fail when you need it. It has to have a mechanical key anyway which defeats all kinds of points. To me a keypad or anything that requires electricity is a fatal design defect in a safe.
FIDO*98*
AG
cbr said:

Not to be an ass but legit question. Why would anyone ever buy a safe with anything electronic in it? I can't comprehend why anyone, ever, would do that under any circumstances.

It has a battery which will fail when you need it. It has to have a mechanical key anyway which defeats all kinds of points. To me a keypad or anything that requires electricity is a fatal design defect in a safe.

I have 2 safes, one with a dial and the newer one with the keypad. After owning both, I can't comprehend why anyone would buy a safe with a dial. It's all about perspective.
schmellba99
AG
cbr said:

I thought the same thing when I bought mine (Cannon, Cabela's label), but they only had them with electronic locks and dial combos were special order. So I bought electronic.

I've had it for about 10 years now, never once have had an issue. The 9v battery will last something like 3 years before it dies - I replace mine every NYD. Access is much quicker and easier than a dial combo as well.

There are benefits to both types. I like the ease of access in my safe, and I generally get into it every other day for one reason or another as it is. A buddy of mine has a dial on his - looks better, doesn't have some of the inherent potential issues an electronic does...but i can get in my safe, grab whatever I'm looking for, look at some of my guns and close the door before he generally even gets his door open.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
cbr said:

Good point. Let me know how that manual crank on your truck works out, or getting up to change the channel on your tv, or your old ma Bell wall phone. Batteries are here to stay, plenty of room on the wagon, jump on.

In seriousness, as long as you open it up once in a while it lets you know when the battery is low. If you leave it for months, you might have problems, but probably not.
kmac30
AG
I have a liberty fat boy jr with the dial. Mainly because i'm cheap. At first it took me forever to get into it. But now that i got the hang out of it i can get inside in around 10 seconds.

That being said i keep my pistol in a lockbox in my bedside table that has electronic keypad. I have never had an issue getting into it. So go with what the budget allows.
cledus6150
AG
LSB_2002 said:

Shiner Bock said:

Got the same deal! Fantastic buy! I am very pleased with the purchase.
Yep I got the same deal as well.
redass1876
AG
Great for what they are. They are not the best but they are not priced as the best either. They are not a cheapo safe either. Nice middle ground
VanZandt92
Milwaukees Best Light said:

cbr said:

Good point. Let me know how that manual crank on your truck works out, or getting up to change the channel on your tv, or your old ma Bell wall phone. Batteries are here to stay, plenty of room on the wagon, jump on.

In seriousness, as long as you open it up once in a while it lets you know when the battery is low. If you leave it for months, you might have problems, but probably not.

lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.