Outdoors
Sponsored by

Welding outdoors...

2,167 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EFE
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever use high amperage and cut or punch with an electrode? I need to cut some tabs I've chopped into a couple of pieces of 1/4" bar steel, and based off what I've read, I can get a special electrode or even use a 6010 or 6011 rod at extra high amps and basically just blow through the steel with the arc to cut it. It would be ugly, but I'm going to weld something back into the resulting notches, so that won't matter.

Anyone try this before?
Reel Aggies
AG
Hell I burn holes in plate all the time trying to weld stuff together, so entirely possible
Allen76
AG
Yes and as you said it would be ugly. It is wasteful, messy, etc. but if it is the best way you have, you do what you have to do. It burns up rods fast and of course makes a mess of the burned area.

Just turn your amperage two or three clicks above what it would take to weld and start burning a hole!

Edit to add: For most applications, you would push the rod through the metal at the point that you see that it is hot enough to blow through, then move the rod over and do it again.
WheelinAg
AG
What about Arc Gouging?
CTGilley
AG
WheelinAg said:

What about Arc Gouging?
I have knocked the flux off what every rod I was using to gouge but it will not be pretty and I only did it to cut small pieces.
rfvgy12
AG
Wet a 6010 then put in electrode holder and cut. It will be ugly.
John1248
AG
Hope you like sparks. Usually use arc gouging to remove a previous weld.
EFE
AG
How big a cut are you making? If you're just notching mild steel a hack saw will work just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.