Outdoors
Sponsored by

Longest confirmed kill shot broken by Canadian at over 2.1 miles

13,639 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The_Waco_Kid
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

How many ranging shots did that take? Wow
plowboy1065
S
I read this last night. 10 seconds from trigger to target is crazy
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Damn... That is impressive.
AG81xx
AG
How do you even see the target at that distance.
BCO07
AG
AG81xx said:

How do you even see the target at that distance.

He ate his carrots?
P.U.T.U
AG
Any time you have to take the Coriolis effect into play you are crazy good.
TwoMarksHand
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Yeah but even at 1000 yds you have to compensate for Coriolis.
45-70Ag
AG
Mind boggling what goes into that shot.
elnaco
AG
I had no idea Canada produced such elite snipers. 3/5 longest shots were made by Canuks. Not to sound so 'Merica, but how are we all the way down at #5? Are the Brits and Canadians just more often authorized to take these long shots?

At any rate, that is one hell of a shot

Windy City Ag
AG
Our military budget allows us to precisely blow things to hell via helicopter or fighter jet or by a drone piloted from continents away. Maybe we just don't need to take such shots?
SabineAg
AG
Guy in my office is claiming there was a second shooter because there is no way they would allow someone to take a shot from that distance. Interested to hear any thoughts y'all may have on that one?
EMY92
AG
Was the second shooter on a grassy knoll?
FSGuide
PalomaPachanga said:

Guy in my office is claiming there was a second shooter because there is no way they would allow someone to take a shot from that distance. Interested to hear any thoughts y'all may have on that one?

Is your office part of the Canadian military? Does your co-worker have access to their RoE for that scenario?
Daddy-O5
AG
Thoughts?

SabineAg
AG
Just a back woods, Mississippi State conspiracy theorist I suppose
TwoMarksHand
AG
Anyone else think he just lobbed it in there and got lucky? The max supersonic range of a 50 bmg A-Max is around 2700 meters (I know...there are probably better BC bullets for the 50BMG out there). At 3450m that bullet had to be tumbling by then.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

It is a conspiracy by the PR folks in the Canadian government? Justin Trudeau, stinging from global criticism of his withdrawal of forces, has launched an elaborate Psy-Ops campaign to improve the perception of the Canadian military?

45-70Ag
AG
I would think shooting at that distance was probably 85% luck and 15% skill.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
elnaco said:

I had no idea Canada produced such elite snipers. 3/5 longest shots were made by Canuks. Not to sound so 'Merica, but how are we all the way down at #5? Are the Brits and Canadians just more often authorized to take these long shots?

At any rate, that is one hell of a shot

You ever been to Canada. There's nothing to do except play hockey, shoot, drink, and have sex.

Actually now that I've typed that out, it makes your question even more valid.
DB Coach
AG
If the round made it there in 9 seconds, that's a little over 380 m/s as an average over the whole distance. With a muzzle exit velocity of 850 m/s, that bullet was most certainly tumbling and going very slow at impact.

What an incredible shot!
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Anyone else think he just lobbed it in there and got lucky?

That is what I always ask. If you lined these guys up and ask them to hit a shot 10 times would that do it more than even once? I remember reading about a Welsh Sniper named Matt Hughes who hit the following shot:

Quote:

Corporal Matt Hughes, a crack shot with the Royal Marines, was ordered to take out an Iraqi who was holding back an important advance during a fierce fight. It was during 2003 when Hughes' 7.62-caliber round from his L96 sniper rifle curved 56 feet in the air before instantly killing the Iraqi when it struck him in the chest.

Sam told Matt he needed to fire 17 meters to the target's left for the bullet to bend properly in the wind and then take him out. Matt said he made the proper adjustments to his site and with each click he made, his aim was offset by one meter for every 1,000 meters.

He explained that the Iraqi target didn't move and stayed in his cross-hairs of his sight the entire time. HE said it was obvious that the target believed he was safe from attack. He said a Royal Marine sniper who was on the ground beside Matt fired at an Iraqi located a few feet away from Matt's target at the same time.

Both enemy troops then fell dead at the exact same moment.

So he aimed more than 50 feet to the left of the target and made the shot. I guess that is mathiness and proven science but with all the shifting variables how can you consistently hit such shots?

MouthBQ98
AG
I'm sure there was some luck at that range, but I bet the bullet was still ballistic, even if subsonic.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Anyone else think he just lobbed it in there and got lucky?

That is what I always ask. If you lined these guys up and ask them to hit a shot 10 times would that do it more than even once? I remember reading about a Welsh Sniper named Matt Hughes who hit the following shot:

Quote:

Corporal Matt Hughes, a crack shot with the Royal Marines, was ordered to take out an Iraqi who was holding back an important advance during a fierce fight. It was during 2003 when Hughes' 7.62-caliber round from his L96 sniper rifle curved 56 feet in the air before instantly killing the Iraqi when it struck him in the chest.

Sam told Matt he needed to fire 17 meters to the target's left for the bullet to bend properly in the wind and then take him out. Matt said he made the proper adjustments to his site and with each click he made, his aim was offset by one meter for every 1,000 meters.

He explained that the Iraqi target didn't move and stayed in his cross-hairs of his sight the entire time. HE said it was obvious that the target believed he was safe from attack. He said a Royal Marine sniper who was on the ground beside Matt fired at an Iraqi located a few feet away from Matt's target at the same time.

Both enemy troops then fell dead at the exact same moment.

So he aimed more than 50 feet to the left of the target and made the shot. I guess that is mathiness and proven science but with all the shifting variables how can you consistently hit such shots?

I'm not sure the specifics about story you quoted. But the OP shooter had to be taking pot shots and just got flat out lucky. But no doubt you have to be dammmm skilled to even get close to targets vicinity, then lucky that you hit it.
Buck Compton
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

P.U.T.U said:

Coriolis is largely insignificant at 1,000 yards. I don't envision a calculation where you adjust more than 3 inches or so, and that's only given perfect E-W alignment of your shot. Probably not enough to make a scope adjustment, and definitely not enough to accurately or consistently holdover your shot.

At 2,000 yards, they may have considered it, but more than likely did an initial calc, then walked their shot in...
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-marksman-bends-shot-kill-2487044

Yeah, that was my suspicion.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Buck Compton said:

TwoMarksHand said:

P.U.T.U said:

Coriolis is largely insignificant at 1,000 yards. I don't envision a calculation where you adjust more than 3 inches or so, and that's only given perfect E-W alignment of your shot. Probably not enough to make a scope adjustment, and definitely not enough to accurately or consistently holdover your shot.

At 2,000 yards, they may have considered it, but more than likely did an initial calc, then walked their shot in...
Your right, I was thinking in terms of a 30 cal bullet not a 50bmg.
Swarely
TwoMarksHand
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-marksman-bends-shot-kill-2487044

Yeah, that was my suspicion.
I think this article is fake for a few different reasons. One, see here:
Quote:

"I made adjustments to my sight and with each click my aim was offset by one metre for every thousand metres.

Most scopes in mils are adjusted in .1mils. So for each "click" of his scope would equal 10cm for every thousand meters, not 100cm (or 1meter). I could be wrong though (its too early for math), maybe Welsh military uses scopes that adjust in mils...
WildcatAg
AG
I have no doubt the Canadian Special Forces Snipers (along with any Western Special Forces Snipers) are extremely talented and skilled teams that can make some impressive shots. However, I would take this type of reporting with several grains of salt. I have not doubt they took out some I.S. guy that needed killing from a long way off. But outside of that basic fact there is likely to be a great deal of..........exaggeration for propaganda and/or disinformation purposes involved with this story.
Mathguy64
AG
I am the only one envisioning this as his scope?

sunchaser
AG
If you remember this at TMS from about 9 years ago. The guy with the errant 50 cal shot was 5 miles away.....still hurt....

Quote:

The bullet fractured Moss' arm in four places. She was recovering at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth on Sunday.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Do we know the identity of the American at #5?
Walter Kovacs
AG
Maybe it was one of them new fangled tracking point scopes. No skill needed.
cr0wbar
AG
O CANADA
NoahAg
Time to bring this guy back! 'Merica!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.