Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bank robber choose poorly

7,669 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agracer
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*chose*

I want that old fart on my team.

There are a couple of internal camera angles in the video, plus slo mo. Apparently this occurred a few months ago in Rockford, Illinois.

SIAP

Brush Country
How about the 2 Nancy boy tellers who refused to stand up, even as the guy lay dead, or close to it, outside the doors, handcuffed.
CrottyKid
AG
The one dude wears his tie even longer than Trump!

It is crazy how long the security guard took to register what was happening. He was like, "Why is everyone ducking for cover?"
carpe vinum
AG
I bet he doesn't do that again.
SWCBonfire
AG
Never saw the car in the parking lot when this 1st came out. Not the guy's 1st time. Backed into parking spot all the way over to the passenger side so his door wouldn't be obstructed by a car unknowingly parking on the driver side.
aggielostinETX
AG
Guard clears a feed jam at :58!!
Tx-Ag2010
AG
That guy definitely took care of business...
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

How about the 2 Nancy boy tellers who refused to stand up, even as the guy lay dead, or close to it, outside the doors, handcuffed.

Just wondering -- have you ever been held up? I have. I was managing a pizza store and a guy came in with a .22 Ruger (I can still see the gun). He told me to get down on the ground and I thought he was going to shoot me. I will never do that again, by the way, but in the store was one other guy and a girl and both freaked out. I stayed fairly calm but a buddy of mine came in within a minute or so of it and said I was as white as a ghost.

A year or two prior to that incident, I sort of froze/freaked out/whatever when a co-worker was having a seizure. You just don't know how you are going to react to things like this when they happen but in fact, we don't know until it does happen. I hope you never have to find out. Until then, let's tap the brakes on making fun of those who didn't respond as you THINK you would have.
Blahhead
http://www.rrstar.com/news/20170126/rockford-bank-robbers-family-friends-say-his-last-act-doesnt-define-him

Quote:

It was about 8 p.m. Friday. A neighbor told Turner, a retired Harlem School District teacher, the police were doing a welfare check on her. Turner thought that was strange. She wasn't sick or anything.

When police knocked again on her door about 10:15 p.m., she opened it and told them, "I am fine."

Then she wasn't.

"I said, 'That is not my son,'" Lucille Turner told the Register Star on Wednesday from the Rockford home she shared with her son, Laurence Turner. Police told her they wouldn't be there if they weren't sure. They'd checked fingerprints.

Quote:

"None of us saw it coming," Lucille Turner said.

"Everyone is in complete disbelief," said his sister, Lauren Turner, 31, of Detroit. "We don't understand it."

"It threw me for a loop," said Joe Carter of Cherry Valley. He and Laurence Turner had been friends for a dozen years since he moved into a house near the Turners. He and Turner had talked at 12:30 p.m. the day of the Alpine Bank robbery.

Carter said Laurence Turner told him he was going to work. They'd planned to go out to get something to eat after Carter was done for the day at his welding job. "He never was very clear what he did for work," Carter said.

Quote:

Lucille Turner said she was unaware of any recent event in her son's life that could have driven him to rob a bank. He liked to go out to eat, but nothing extravagant. He was a bargain shopper, buying clothes at Burlington Coat Factory. "He doesn't have a lot of stuff," Lauren Turner said. "Nothing peculiar."

Quote:

"There is evidence he did this," Lucille Turner said. "It's true. It happened. But he was more of a person than this. That is not all him."

Laurence Turner had loyal friends his mother liked. He cared for his girlfriend's young son as though he was his own, Lucille Turner said. He rescued a squirrel and released it back into the wild after caring for it about five years ago, Lauren Turner said. Friends wrote sympathy cards recalling that Laurence Turner walked their dogs.

"I am still in shock," Lauren Turner said. "I really had to come to terms with this. It feels so out of the blue."

45-70Ag
AG
Nice to see a bad guy lose
normaleagle05
AG
Solid reaction all around by the guard. But he did manage to loose one round randomly into the lobby. Would've been a bad place to be witnessing that exchange (any place other than through this screen would've been a bad place to witness that exchange).

And I think he damn near shot his support hand in his haste for a grip on the pistol.
FullDraw
AG
Looks like the very first shot did the perp in.
UTExan
Quote:

"He never was very clear what he did for work," Carter said.
That is called a clue.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
rhtexfish
AG
Typical bank policy is to get the robber out as quick as possible, safety of employees is highest priority. Tellers aren't supposed to engage the guy
elnaco
AG
Dat attempted Ninja roll at 0:52s tho...
RM1993
AG
FullDraw said:

Looks like the very first shot did the perp in.
Cant tell if the first shot hit him, but when the security guard reaches around the wall and fires you can see the down pop out of the guys vest on the opposite side. Looks like that shot when straight through his middle and popped out the down on exit. He was dead within seconds of that, but the gut shot couldn't have felt too good while he was still breathing.

FullDraw
AG
You'll notice after the very first shot, there is down showing on the back of his vest that was not showing upon entry. It appeared to be center mass.
Either way, props to the security guard!
RM1993
AG
You're right. I hadn't spotted that one before. Wonder if he also got him with the shot as he was going out the door?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
They should have kept the guy there. He made a nice door stop
Macarthur
Brush Country said:

Yeah, tough guy, as has already been mentioned, I'm sure bank employees are told to do just what they did.

And I don't care how tough you think you are, doing something stupid and maybe getting shot for a $10/hour job is moronic.
The Anchor
AG
Yep. And they dont have a gun in the gunfight.
John 14:6
DannyDuberstein
AG
For anyone below the counter, how are they supposed to know the robber was on the losing or winning end of that battle? I'm staying the F down for a while.
lazuras_dc
AG
Guard has balls reaching around the corner for the second shot. You can see the perps firearm being fired in the guards general direction when he peeped around the corner for that shot!
lazuras_dc
AG
Also, assume the security guard isnt there... looks like everyone either runs out of the room or ducks under the counter as soon as the perp comes running in. So I guess he wouldve had to jump the counter and get one of those guys out to open the register? I guess its not like the movies where they stand with their hands up at the register and wait for your demands.
FTAG 2000
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

For anyone below the counter, how are they supposed to know the robber was on the losing or winning end of that battle? I'm staying the F down for a while.
Looked like the guard told them to call 911 when he went around the corner.
Sean98
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Guard has balls reaching around the corner for the second shot. You can see the perps firearm being fired in the guards general direction when he peeped around the corner for that shot!
Balls, or dumbs, I can't decide which. Watching that I had three questions initially. I couldn't tell on the robber's first shot if he hit home on the guard - maybe catching one in a vest - as he staggers back pretty violently. Then I thought it was a little brazen to stick his head around the corner. Easily could have taken a round in the face there. And then finally did he have a stove-pipe? Appears hee had to clear a jam at the :57 mark which he did quickly. I couldn't count total rounds but he didn't reload at that point.

jgh85Ag
AG
I would have to say his last act pretty much defines him.
lazuras_dc
AG
Watching in slo mo, it looks like he just lost his footing. I don't think the guard took one. He definitely tagged the perp with his first shot as you can see the down from his vest protruding out the back when he ducks behind the counter the first time. Id like to think I would have kept my gun drawn and stayed back behind the counter and waited for perp to either pop up or bleed out or run away not stick my head around the corner! lol
AgLA06
AG
I'm going neither. My take is the perp was counting on intimidation to neutralize everyone in there and wasn't looking for a fight. The security guard going on the offensive tipped the situation in his favor and won the battle.

The only other option after going on the offensive is to sit there and wait for the perp to come around the desk your both hiding behind with the advantage or he dumps a mag through it. The security guard's only real option was to carry the momentum of the engagement or lose it.

Having said that, most actions are instinct and reaction in a situation like this. Not cognizant decisions. So trying to analyze what either were thinking once the guard went for his gun is a waste of time or really fair.
Post removed:
by user
Decay
AG
Sasappis said:

RM1993 said:

You're right. I hadn't spotted that one before. Wonder if he also got him with the shot as he was going out the door?

I think he got him in the upper right of the back on the way out the door. It is hard to tell in the video.

I am sure if someone cared enough they could find us a ballistics report.
Police Report: Someone dragged in a pile of swiss cheese wearing a lightly-worn vest
SanAntoneAg
AG
According to the Rockford paper, the security guard is a retired sheriff's deputy. No mention that he was shot.

The perp was shot twice: chest and buttocks. He had opiates and weed in his system based on autopsy results.
ursusguy
AG
http://wgntv.com/2017/03/16/dramatic-video-captures-rockford-bank-shootout-no-charges-for-security-guard/
RM1993
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

According to the Rockford paper, the security guard is a retired sheriff's deputy. No mention that he was shot.

The perp was shot twice: chest and buttocks. He had opiates and weed in his system based on autopsy results.
Hmmmm, so I'm guessing the first shot was through the chest and the shot that looked to be in the mid section with an exit out the side of the vest was maybe just though the vest itself. Then he caught one in the ass on his way out the door.

If I was embarking on an activity where I might catch a bullet in the chest and another in the ass you can be damn sure I would have opiates in my system as well!
Sean98
AG
I think you are probably right on all counts. Still, knowing he was about 6 feet from BadGuys muzzle and that muzzle was continuing to belch fire and loud noises I don't think I would have stuck my head around the corner.

But as others have said, "who the hell knows what you would do until you have to do it." I've been in a couple of scary situations, mostly car accident related, and I don't really know what I did, or why I did it until listening to other people re-hash things later.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.