Outdoors
Sponsored by

Talk to me about Howa's

2,374 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
A.G.S.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using a Rem 700 in .243 my grandad gave me for the past 20 yrs. In all that time the rifle has never failed me, and I feel confident using a .243 for just about anything in TX. However, got an elk hunt lined up this year, and I've been wanting to move up to a .308 for a while, so I figure now's the time.

Been saving my pennies for a while to get a decent all around rifle, and for the longest time I was looking at either another 700 or Savage model 10. However, for the past few months I've found myself looking more and more at the Howas.

I've spent more time than I can track reading reviews, watching videos, etc. Everything I've come across says they are great rifles for the price, and decent enough to get the job done.

Anyone out there have actual personal experience with em? Pros/Cons y'all have experienced?

Any input is immensely appreciated, as I plan to end up with a rifle that can last me a long time.
PFG
AG
Everyone that I know with a Howa is really happy. They are quality guns, and I'd put them in the same category as a Tikka- well built and accurate out of the box.

Howa has added some nice offerings to the line-up, with a lot of great mountain guns. I think the marketing move with Randy Newberg was golden, and a big reason for the Howa name finding its way into more hunting circles.

I don't personally own one, but wouldn't hesitate if you like what you seen. A guy with rifle money to burn has a lot of great options today.
AgEng06
AG
The Howa Handshake
FIDO 96
AG
FWI, Howa is same as Weatherby Vanguard, the old S&W 500 series and several others makers. Buy with confidence.
A.G.S.
AG
Thanks.

I started watching all of Randy Newberg's videos once I decided to do the elk hunt, and thats what got me thinking about the Howa in the first place.

EFE
AG
Have one in 30-06, had some issues with the original hogue stock touching the barrel and causing fliers. Would have two touching each other, then one would jump 3 inches up and to the left. Put it in a B&C stock and it's been clovers ever since.
Muzzleblast
I've got a Weatherby Vangard S2 in 7mm-08.

Been used to kill hogs and deer mostly by family members here on my farm.

Accurate and durable.

Been thinking of selling it if you are interested. Not getting used much since the kids all have their own rifles these days.

I'm located outside B-CS.
A.G.S.
AG
Muzzleblast,

Thanks, I'd definitely be interested in discussing it.
Muzzleblast
Email with pic sent.
A.G.S.
AG
Got it, thanks!
Goodest Poster
AG
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 wthby mag with a zeiss conquest (4 i think...4x12x50?). Its not with me...about to put in estate sale, but can verify the scope model. Let me know if u have interest.
GSS
I had a Weatherby/Howa in 7-08, it shot very well. Early triggers were not so hot, and a Timney was installed in that one (sold that one due to too many 7-08's..)).

Currently have a Howa Mini-Action in 7.62x39, very well made rifle. Fit and finish is top shelf.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
thaed137
AG
I have a .270 Howa that was my first gun to own and still shoot it to this day. Very accurate and good overall gun.
cledus6150
AG
I had a Weatherby Vanguard in 257wby, gun shot lights only thing I did to it was put the timney trigger in it. They are excellent guns.
DiskoTroop
Had a heavy barrel .308 that **** pretty good. It needed a trigger job but after that it was a good shooter out to 400yards.

Eventually sold it to finance a shotgun I wanted more since I didn't shoot rifles all that much, but no regrets on buying that rifle.
O.G.
I braced myself for it and as of this post...it hasn't happened yet.

So, I want to say congratulations to the room for not getting off topic and saying stuff like,
"the .243 is fine for Elk", or "the .308 isn't enough gun...what you really need is a fillintheblank".

Well done everyone.
AgEng06
AG
The .243 is fine for elk... as long as you're at archery distances.
A.G.S.
AG
Haha, I was waiting for those comments as well.

I feel like I've pushed the .243 to it's limits here in TX, but I felt or .308 (or 7mm-08) with the right bullet would be sufficient for an ethical kill on an elk. I'm not one to take foolish or risky shots, and I know my own limitations pretty well. On a good day I'm an MOA shooter, but I don't count on always being that accurate.

If I ever get a chance to chase after something bigger or more dangerous I'll consider upgrading to a magnum cartridge.

And plus getting a new rifle means I have an excuse to burn through some boxes and improve my skills.
AgEng06
AG
A.G.S. said:

(or 7mm-08)
Now we're talking. I love the 7mm-08 round.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.