Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eclipse 8/21

9,287 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Guppy91
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My boss was planning on going to Tennessee to see it, but changed his mind based on this estimate of numbers of people migrating to see the ecliplse.

I'll be in Bristol, TN for the NASCAR race 8/19, heading back to TX Sunday morning. Hopefully we won't get caught up in the chaos. At the worst, we'll get hung up from Bristol to the eclipse arc, then after that we should be going against traffic.

link
Guppy91
AG
Met some buddies in Nashville for the eclipse... it was glorious. Knocked out a bucket list item and now I'm hooked on totality. Buenos Aries July 2, 2019 is now on the agenda!

Words cannot describe the event. We caught some clouds right at totality time, but they parted for about 30 seconds and the magic was indescribable. The 360 degree sunset is too much for the mind to process... messes with your circadian rhythms.

A little background on this animoto vid: The first part includes pics of a scale model of the solar system I made last year for our family ranch in West Texas. The second part includes a "sun funnel" I constructed (and fit into luggage) per NASA page that projects an image onto a screen from your telescope... it's kind of the main character in the video. Also, some silly shots of various jokes made along the way amongst our friends. Yours truly with the "Jesus selfie" at the Honky Tonk Central. The kind California folks next to us made the time lapse video I had to trim down to 10 sec (will post the long version soon). You may have to pause the vid several times on your second time through to to catch all the funnies! ;-) Enjoy!

https://animoto.com/play/MoCZJUU9xIGF0S8oCc1f7A

Comes over my place in Austin in 2024. I just can't wait that long... officially now a totality chaser.
Guppy91
AG
RPM said:

NColoradoAG said:

BCO07 said:

So we're going from 1979 to 2017 between full eclipses and then there's another only 7 years later. I know that there are a ton of variables, but that math hurts my anal retentive tendencies.
There are total eclipses somewhere on Earth almost every year.

Quote:

Space math is a beetch.
Fun!

Eclipses are measured in a concurrent series of cycles (saros series). One cycle in the series has an event every 18 years & 11 days when three of the lunar monthly measurement types coincidentally align. There are 40 active solar saros series numbers (#117 through #156) and 41 active lunar saros series numbers currently cycling. It takes between 1226 and 1550 years for a cycle of the saros series to traverse the Earth's surface from pole to pole.

The 1979 eclipse was the 59th pass within Saros 120. That series started with a partial solar eclipse on May 27, 933 AD and ends at its 71st pass as a partial eclipse on July 7, 2195. We just witnessed the 22nd eclipse within Saros 145.

Saros 120 (1979 eclipse)

Saros 145 (2017 eclipse)

For location prediction

rjhtamu
AG
Some pics from our trip
Guppy91
AG
Time lapse from Nashville, TN

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.