Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eclipse 8/21

9,284 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Guppy91
JD05AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone going to go see this? Thinking about making a trip to the Tetons to check it out.
cplatt
If you get up here I'll buy you a beer provided I'm not working lol.
The Fife
I'm not going anywhere to see it, the eclipse is coming right here to us! Last city to see it off the east coast.
chickencoupe16
AG
Already have plans to be in northern Georgia for it. Bought plane tickets the night I first read about it.
IDAGG
AG
Expect ginormous crowds, so plan ahead. A lot of the hotel rooms along the path of the total eclipse have been booked for months. To give you some idea, the little town of Cascade, Idaho (population 900+) is expecting around 100,000 people in and around town for the eclipse..

We live about 50 miles south of the path of the center of the eclipse and are not sure we will be able to drive up the two lane mountainous road to see it unless we leave a day or two early. Check flights also, I bet fights into areas close to the eclipse are booked as well.
fourth deck
AG
Think it's gonna pass by Greenville/Anderson/Clemson middle of the day. Ordered some glasses on Amazon and thinking of taking a half day off of work to relax and watch.
Ulrich
I'll be in Driggs, Idaho. Flying into SLC, partly because it's a lot cheaper but also because I'm a little concerned about rental car availability and the reliability of flight connections going into Jackson Hole or Pocatello. Can't afford many delays.
Ragoo
AG
The one in 2024 will practically be traveling right down IH-35 from Dallas to San Antonio.
Sean98
AG
Someone tell me more about this. How close to the party so you have to be? What happens as you get further away, etc.? Can't see it at all? Or it's just less Impressive?
johnrth
JD05AG said:

Is anyone going to go see this? Thinking about making a trip to the Tetons to check it out.

Good luck with that. You shouldve planned for it last yr. Jackson hole hired some special person in charge of eclipse something or other. My sister said plane tickets into Jackson have gone up to around $800 and they're expecting an absolute crazy amount of people.

Wait until 2024 another total eclipse is passing over texas. The center will pass over waxahatchie

Eta just checked flight tickets on kayak.com for the week and tickets are $1500+ for economy.
BullSprig07
AG
Wait I thought the earth was flat? How does this happen?
Caladan
The path of totality goes right over downtown Cody WY. Might be a place to investigate........
fourth deck
AG
Would probably be easier to watch in upstate South Carolina or maybe Nashville area than smaller towns out west
chickencoupe16
AG
I made my plans about a month ago and chose to fly in to Atlanta because it was by far the cheapest. Everything in the western parts was really expensive. I assumed those were normal prices, but I suppose not. As someone said earlier, the southeast is most likely your best bet.
johnrth
My uncle who lives in Jackson hole said they're expecting an additional 200-300,000 people on top of the average summer tourists.

I told him to stock up like a hurricane and not plan on going anywhere for a few days.
The Fife
Water Turkey07 said:

Wait I thought the earth was flat? How does this happen?
Every now and then the tortoise carrying the earth causes a shadow, but don't worry it keeps on walking. That's why the shadow moves along a path, it's just science.
Sean98
AG
Are you kidding? He should Air BnB his house for a ridiculous amount and pay 6 months mortgage with it. Get the hell out of there!
Vernada
AG
Sean98 said:

Someone tell me more about this. How close to the party so you have to be? What happens as you get further away, etc.? Can't see it at all? Or it's just less Impressive?
This might help:
[url=http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm][/url]
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm

FYI - I have been lucky enough to witness a complete solar eclipse, and it is certainly worth doing if you can.
Sean98
AG
After reading this on his "Totality" link there is no way anything that happens could live up to expectations...

Quote:

For those who choose to experience this eclipse outside the path, a partial eclipse is all they will see. Even if the sun is 99.9% eclipsed for these observers, they will not experience the full, jaw-dropping, knee-buckling, emotionally-overloading, completely overwhelming spectacle that is totality.
Partial eclipses are somewhat interesting, in that with the proper eye protection (which MUST be used at all times), one can see the moon moving slowly across the face of the sun. But there is no climax, no culmination of the event, no exhilarating moment of true beauty in the sky above them. The event is not memorable, not life-changing, not anything to inspire one to join the ranks of "umbraphiles" "shadow-loving" persons who travel the world to the most remote locations, in anticipation of experiencing those few fleeting seconds of wonderment inside the shadow of the moon.
For those outside the path, there is no dramatic moment of totality, no dance of Baily's Beads around the edge of the moon's disk, no intense darkening of the skies, no stars and planets suddenly revealing themselves against an impossible twilight, no corona flashing into view (the otherworldly beauty of which makes even veteran total eclipse observers gasp in amazement), and no primordial fear which sinks ever so slightly even the modern heart. There is no pitch-blackened disk of the sun, no discernable temperature drop, no impossible nighttime during the day, no scintillating chromosphere or glorious prominences, no 360-degree sunset effect around the horizon, no uncontrollable shouts of emotional overload from the assembled crowd, and no lingering post-eclipse sensation of certainty that you have just done one of the coolest things you'll ever do in your life.
A partial eclipse is interesting but forgettable, while a total eclipse is a memorable, life-changing event which burns itself into memory and never fades. And so we, who have seen this sight, ask you to join us on this momentous day, and do everything you possibly can to see it with us. But you must remember that "close" is not close enough; in order to see the eclipse in all its glory, you simply must
Get thee to the path!

Sean98
AG
So it looks like it's going to happen about 50 miles north of me (to get in the 'band of totality') and about 80-100 miles to get dead center on the line. also appears like the eclipse is going to occur locally at about 1pm on Aug 21. Boy that's gonna be a hot sumbeech.

I don't fee like fighting 10,000 people to see this, but maybe I can just get off on a nice country road and not be eaten up with people.
AgEng06
AG
Wow
CS78
Worth it to get some glasses if you plan on viewing. Might get hard to find as it gets closer. I paid half the price two weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H7W9FH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GatorAg03
AG
I think that same guy writes for a fly fishing magazine that I get!
Zamacuco
What happens if you spend all of this money for travel and accommodations and its cloudy???
chickencoupe16
AG
That's obviously a risk, but if you choose a place with things to do besides look at the sun then all is not lost.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

After reading this on his "Totality" link there is no way anything that happens could live up to expectations...
haha - yeah, I'd say it's really cool, but I would never describe it in the over-the-top way that dude is going on about.
Caladan
CDMAG10 said:

What happens if you spend all of this money for travel and accommodations and its cloudy???
Your travel and accomodations suppliers will gladly refund your money.

By the way - would you be interested in buying a very nice bridge in Brooklyn?
Sean98
AG
Unless something crazy comes up at work I think a few of us are going to take the day off, drive up to a local dive/diner and have an early lunch and then find a nice high spot on a lonely county road, have a cold tasty beverage or two and watch the spectacle. ...better than being at work on a Monday.
IDAGG
AG
This is probably the first of many of these declarations. I have no idea how these small towns along the path are going to cope with the traffic and crowds.

Quote:

WASHINGTON COUNTY, ID - The Washington County Commissioners have passed an Emergency Declaration in preparation for the influx of visitors anticipated at the August 21st eclipse.

Quote:

"Local officials and department heads are most concerned about the increased number of vehicles overwhelming transportation corridors, a lack of proper sanitation facilities for the number of people expected, and a possible loss of communication abilities if networks are overwhelmed by users," Penner said.

http://www.kivitv.com/news/expected-eclipse-viewers-prompt-washington-county-commissioners-to-pass-emergency-declaration
NColoradoAG
Caladan said:

The path of totality goes right over downtown Cody WY. Might be a place to investigate........
Looked into getting rooms in Casper, Douglas, and Torrington about 3 months back and they were all booked. They were probably charging $300-400 a night too, I'd imagine.

Planning to take the kid out of school that day and just drive in to western Nebraska and watch off a county road.
skinny2001
AG
I've been watching this thread with interest. I spoke with the Ranger Station in Idaho Falls yesterday, he said the campgrounds in the W Side of Caribou Targhee are full but there are plenty of places to go along the Snake River and in the National Forest.

One thing - clouds aren't the real concern - visibility could be threatened moreso with smoke from Wildfires in the area. Depending on the wind too, it could be from fires several miles away. I think me and the wife are flying up to Salt Lake Sunday and Driving to Idaho Falls and going to cruise around Monday Morning to find a good spot.

Whatever happens, hope we get lucky...Cool thing to see.
IDAGG
AG
Oregon expects giant traffic snafu for eclipse:

Quote:

Oregon Department of Transportation spokesman Don Hamilton says the eclipse will cause "the biggest traffic event in Oregon history" on August 21.
ODOT is staffing up and warning drivers to be prepared to be stuck in your car for hours.
State emergency management officials are estimating one million people from out of state are coming to Oregon to watch the eclipse. More rental cars and RVs will be added to our highways, not to mention rural single-lane roads to and from campsites.
I believe Oregon has a population of around 4M. So 25% more people YOWZA.

Quote:

"One of the things that we're doing is tracking rumors, and we're hearing a rumor on Twitter that a lot of people from Seattle are going to be coming down very, very early on Monday morning of the eclipse and that's going to complicate the morning commute in the city of Portland," said Hamilton.
Sounds like I5 will be a complete mess.

I think I may just go to work as usual and walk outside to see. It wont be a total eclipse, but pretty close in Boise, about 99.7% coverage. I do not want to be stuck in a multi hour crapfest of a traffic jam that will be the mountain roads north of Boise where the total eclipse will pass.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/eclipse/eclipse-to-cause-biggest-traffic-event-in-oregon-history-odot-says/457766325
Sean98
AG
I was planning on making the short driver up to rural NE Kansas but these "4 million billion people are descending upon every town in America in the pathpark" really makes me question whether I should...
rather be fishing
AG
I remember one back in the early 90s that went across Central Texas. I'll actually be in Idaho/Glacier the week before it happens. Probably going to be glad I'm out of there before he pagan drum circle weirdos show up.
JD05AG
AG
Ragoo said:

The one in 2024 will practically be traveling right down IH-35 from Dallas to San Antonio.

After looking into it, the one in 2024 will be going over my parents house. I think I'll just try to stay alive another 7 years.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.