Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lots of Texans on the road in central Oregon today. What's going on?

4,105 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 96ags
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm used to seeing the occasional Texas license plate in the area, but the steady flow of fellow Texans on the road today was really unusual. It's a looong drive from Texas so a car with Texas plates stands out. Yesterday there was an older motor home with Aggie stickers all over it passing through.

I know they aren't driving up to Bend to see Montgomery Gentry perform at the county fair. The big solar eclipse isn't until August. The big Rainbow Family "gathering" starts soon about an hour from here, but I'm sure these folks aren't here to share hippie gumbo with a bunch of stoners.

I guess they all just discovered that Oregon is an awesome place to spend a vacation. The coast is a terrific place to be anytime of the year.

It's always nice to visit with fellow Texans when they pass through.

TresPuertas
AG
Used to spend my summers on the Oregon Coast with my grandad and my great uncle. He ended up in Florence after his stint in the Navy and became a commercial salmon fisherman.

Some of my best memories were up there, picking blackberries up in the hills, playing near the Siuslaw River, going to the dunes, and fishing with my great-uncle

Its one of the most overlooked areas of natural beauty we have in this country. You're lucky to be up there.
rather be fishing
AG
Hopefully it's a bunch of Californians relocating back to the west coast from Austin.
GatorAg03
AG
The wife and I are going to Portland in late July. We are looking at doing a week long road trip through the Columbia gorge, through Bend, over to the Oregon coast and up to Astoria. This is our first trip to Oregon and are looking forward to it!
Sean98
AG
I like Oregon a lot more once I get away from the Coast.
RMC91
AG
agfan2013
AG
Was in Portland a few months ago for a business meeting. Didn't like the city as there were tons of homeless people up there due to their liberal policies.

Got out of the city and loved it. Went river rafting after the meetings down the Klackamas river and I can honestly say it was one of the most fun things I've ever done. Later saw Multonmah falls as well.

Absolutely beautiful scenery up there and tons of awesome outdoor activities to be had, the only problem is the people in the cities that you have to deal with. But I would definitely take a vacation up there to see it again.
ratfacemcdougal
Sean98
AG
What plant is that?
ratfacemcdougal
Lavender field in Hood River A very unusual day. My oldest brother has been in Portland since graduation college. The saying is...If you can't see Mt. Hood, it is raining, if you can see Mt. Hood, it is going to rain.
Sean98
AG
Gracias. Beautiful.
ratfacemcdougal
You cannot see them in the pictures...but there were about a gazillion bees flying around, you just walk and move real slow.
jbeaman88
AG
Was just there last week on an Aggie road trip down through California to Vegas. If you like waterfalls and have a few hours for a nice hike, you won't be disappointed with Silver Falls State Park.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
From what I've heard, the Pendleton Round Up is one of the best rodeos in the country. I plan on seeing it in person someday soon.
TwoMarksHand
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

From what I've heard, the Pendleton Round Up is one of the best rodeos in the country. I plan on seeing it in person someday soon.
My brother's calf roping horse won the Horse of the Rodeo there a couple of years ago. He said Pendleton was the best rodeo he had ever been to, and that's saying a lot.
Satellite of Love
Sean98 said:

What plant is that?
Lavender maybe?
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

CE Lounge Lizzard said:

My brother's calf roping horse won the Horse of the Rodeo there a couple of years ago. He said Pendleton was the best rodeo he had ever been to, and that's saying a lot.
High honor indeed.
DevilYack
AG
Oregon's not so bad if you can stand the winters - this one about did the whole family in. There's also the absolute idiocy that comes out of the political crowd, but that's easier to ignore.
marcel ledbetter
The previous idiotic mayor of Portland made it ok for the homeless people to camp wherever they wanted to on city property. That brilliant idea drew in many more homeless to the area, where they immediately set up camps in almost every public open space they can find. They used to be fairly confined to the downtown area.

The Oregon coast is so nice to visit that its hard to get around to all the other great places in the state. The southeast part of the state has some fabulous country for remote camping that very few people are aware of. I can drive up into the forest in about fifteen minutes from the house and almost never see another person except on the roads.

All the political loons are mainly over on the west side of the Cascades, which is nice. I wish we could get enough Texans to move up here to vote out our liberal Senators.
hurricanejake02
AG
I'm guessing it's Katy residents fleeing Potential Tropical Cyclone 3. They likely have large quantities of bleach with them.
txaggie_08
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

I'm guessing it's Katy residents fleeing Potential Tropical Cyclone 3. They likely have large quantities of bleach with them.
I was coming to make this joke..
Charpie
AG
Freaking love Oregon.

If you drive the gorge, drive west on the Washington side. On the west side of the gorge, there is a ton of apply orchards. There is a replica of stonehenge there as well! Then cross over one of the bridges to Oregon and come back towards Portland on 84. And I've been to that lavender farm by Mount Hood. Also, go and have a bloody mary in The Dalles. Stop at Apple Valley Country Store in Hood River and get a Huckleberry Milkshake. And make the drive up Mount Hood. Right now, its probably a cool 55 degrees.
MarkItZero
AG
I'll be around all those places too for a week in late July with the wife. I'll be on the lookout for Aggie rings/shirts/hats. We just may bump into each other - - stranger things have happened to me!
IDAGG
AG
The Blue Mountains are on my list of favorite places in Oregon. That and the area around Joseph, OR and Wallowa lake. Damned fine scenery. The lateral moraines by Lake Wallowa are most impressive.
ursusguy
AG
There is a bbq place on the west side of the river/Portland with awesome smoked tofu. Their meat was pretty good too, but oddly enough I liked the tofu.

The Carivore Biologist/Coordinator for Oregon was my officemate for two years.
wareagle044
I got the pleasure of being in Salem on business a couple years back. PDX is a beautiful view to fly into.
Oso96
AG
They could've been going to the PGA Professional Championship golf tournament. They are playing in Sunriver.
RMC91
AG
OregonAggie
AG
I love the Bend/Redmond/Sunriver area. I'd spend 6-8 nights a month in Bend for work and always had fun stuff to do while I was there. Taking 126 to 20 to get into Bend was one of the prettiest drives I've ever made.
TexasAggie_02
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Lavender field in Hood River A very unusual day. My oldest brother has been in Portland since graduation college. The saying is...If you can't see Mt. Hood, it is raining, if you can see Mt. Hood, it is going to rain.
that's true for about 9 months of the year on the west side of the cascades
TexasAggie_02
AG
RMC91 said:

Ratface or others, I saw this field south of Portland on way to Bend. I've never seen something like this in Texas (or elsewhere). Is this lavender also or do they plant other crops/plants in this fashion in Oregon?

[url=.html][/url]

looks like hay ready to bale
96ags
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

RMC91 said:

Ratface or others, I saw this field south of Portland on way to Bend. I've never seen something like this in Texas (or elsewhere). Is this lavender also or do they plant other crops/plants in this fashion in Oregon?

[url=.html][/url]

looks like hay ready to bale
Odd way to windrow it, but I'd agree it looks like hay.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.