Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some Fishing Firsts

3,537 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was blessed to spend Friday morning on Navajo Reservoir. Even more blessed to catch my first ever small mouth and first ever pike! Fantastic morning of fishing, caught about 20 smallies and 5 pike between 2 people. More than 1/2 of the smallies were 2+ pounds, with the biggest coming in right at 2.95. What a fun fish to catch on ultralight gear!!!

first ever smallmouth

first ever pike

2.5 pounder

nice pike on an ultralight

gorgeous fish, diverse colors
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Great job!!

I Drink Your Milkshake
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
That's more like catching than fishing. Blessed day is right!
SanAntoneAg
AG
You can lip those pike you know.

Great day in the water!
Gig 'em! '90
cupofjoe04
AG
ha ha! The blood on the pike is mine, not his! Take a close look at my right thumb. Greasy sucker slipped out of my hand, and one of the times I came up bleeding. Not sure if it was gill plate or tooth...
fishJones
AG
Looks like the weather was totally miserable
LRHF
AG
I used to live about 45 minutes away, Great Lake! There is little known river that flows downstream of the dam, might be worth checking out. You fishing the Colorado or New Mexico side?
Lungblood
That doesn't look terrible.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Are there trout in the lake?
Gig 'em! '90
BradMtn346
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to fish it for years.
cupofjoe04
AG
Really? Never heard of it, ha ha!

I'm not really interested in combat fishing. I got my fill of that junk during flounder season in Galveston. I can have the high mountain streams all to myself, and still catch great trout

I was fishing the CO side mostly.
cupofjoe04
AG
There is one of the best trout fisheries in the US below the dam (also one of the most crowded).

There are some huge bass, plenty of smallmouth and pike, and a healthy population of salmon in the lake.
meggy09
AG
This is very relevant to me and hopefully OP is still around. I hope to do the same thing over the 4th weekend, catch first small mouth and pike. Mainly going to fly fish, but taking one day to rent a boat and fish the reservoir. OP or anyone have any tips on the two species?

I've google earthed the lake and doesn't seem to be much if any shore cover, so is it mainly fishing points and/or finding vegetation? What about depth, deeper in the middle of summer? 20ish feet? Taking my whole bass fishing retinue, I'd assume cranks and spinners work about the same. What about soft plastics?

Appreciate any help, it's a little daunting going out on a strange lake, in a strange boat, after a new species.
BradMtn346
I'd like to know where the OP launched? The family is going to be camping at McPhee, about an hour and a half away, in August, and I'm thinking a day trip or 2. Again, any info would be great.
BradMtn346
As I said, I've never fished Navajo, but I've fished McPhee, which is a similar lake. Deep diving cranks have done the best for me. I am not a very good bass fisherman. Raised on trout, but now I'm obsessed with warm water fish. Everybody wants what the don't have. I'm going to try some crawdad looking soft plastics deep this summer.
cupofjoe04
AG
To BradMtn & Meggy -

First of all *DISCLAIMER* - I am by NO MEANS a smallmouth expert, nor am I an expert at Navajo. I fish with several people who are highly successful tournament anglers on that lake. Take my advice at your own risk, and don't come to me for a refund if you get skunked, ha ha!

Navajo is a different lake than many you might be used to. It is very deep and fairly narrow across much of it. The primary structure in the lake is rocks, and there are 10 billion of them... everywhere... You aren't going to be able to scout the lake with google maps for cover. Looking for points is far more productive, but changes with water level. This lake is under Indian control, and they pump water out mercilessly (and needlessly). The lake is high right now, but dropping fast. They will pump it to below critical levels routinely. As such, there are NO hard and fast rules to fishing it. Smallmouth are notoriously hard to pattern here.

There are big largemouth in the lake, most on the lower end closer to the dam. They act just like any other largemouth. There are some areas with dead standing timber right now, as the lake is still high, and the largemouth will center on those. IF the lake is still high enough to cover the timber when you are here- pitch a spinner, worm, or jig & creature around the timber like you would on any other lake. The lake is deep, and drops off quickly, I would key in on shoreline structure, you won't find much fishable structure my scanning in deeper water. If you just want to fish deeper, find shelfs and drop-offs. But there are 1,000 of them, so the fish don't quite congregate like in other lakes on those features. There is just too much similar on this lake to make any one spot a "hotspot".

You will catch far more fish (in my humble opinion) by targeting smallmouth. They don't relate to structure the same way largemouth do in this lake- so throw that thinking out the window. They like rocks, plain and simple. If you see a rock, fish it (and you would literally have to blind to not find rocks, just cruise the shores). Fish all sides of it. Don't ignore the shore side- no matter how shallow. I caught most of my fish by pitching way up on shore in 2 inches of water, in some TIGHT little cracks you would probably ignore, and then pulling a worm out through the crevice. All I can say, is don't ignore the shallows in this lake.

What we did, and many successful guys do, is fish the first few hours of the morning by trolling up and down shorelines, fishing coves and shorelines. Don't ignore long stretches of bank just because they look benign. Pitch your lure right up to or all the way up on the bank, and work it back to you. A spinner bait is great. So are crank baits, especially craw colored square bill cranks. You want to rip that crank back so it gets down and bounces off rocks. When you get that craw ricocheting off of rocks, that seems to trigger strikes. Have a rod with a weightless senko rigged up. If you get a strike and miss on a crank or spinner, pitch that senko right on his head and dead stick it. Drives them crazy, caught several fish that way. As the sun comes up, the fish don't necessarily move deep, but they will orient to shade if they can. You can slow down and work areas over with a worm or plastic craw texas rigged.

SO MUCH of this lake is exactly the same, as you cruise shorelines, look for any transitions- anything that is different. A predominantly rocky shore that has a section of sand. A 100 yard stretch where there are no boulders, only river rock. Those smallies love that river rock if you can find it, I think because crawfish love it too. A big boulder in a couple feet of water is a great target, and not hard to find. I would fish any point with rocks, and any trees you see in the water as well (mostly hoping for a largemouth). I'll be in a cove with 20 trees and there is one rock with 10 smallies around the rock, not one on the trees.

There are definitely people who catch fish deeper, but I can't help you with those tactics. What I know is you need to get right down on the rocks to have a chance, and that is MUCH easier in the top of the water column (with is like the first 20' closest to the shore in this lake). These little smallies are AGGRESSIVE, so the key seems to be more getting the bait in their face, more than specifically what bait gets in their face. Though, each day is different, and they can be more selective at times.

If you are fly fishing for smallies, any traditional bass popper early am is good. Cast CLOSE to shore and work back deeper. A bugger or streamer ripped past visible rocks will work well too. If you need to slow it down, drop a bead head down cracks and the sides of rock faces, it can be deadly.

FYI- you have a likelihood of catching pike by pitching spinners back in coves. beware, they are smily toothy critters. There are also schools of salmon you can target, as well as catfish and crappie.

I hope this helps. Post a report! - Tight lines

meggy09
AG
Bad ass dude. That's more than I was hoping for, thanks a ton! Hopefully I end up with something to post.
BradMtn346
Awesome! Thanks.
cupofjoe04
AG
My pleasure gents. If you need anything while in town, hit me up. Always willing to help a fellow Ag
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.