Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bass going into open mouth seizure upon hook set

2,475 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheVarian
f2redpot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got a backyard pond. Lots of bass. My son was practicing fly casting and 2 out of the fist 4 bass he caught went into some sort of seizure as soon as they were landed where their mouth was frozen wide open and the body curved rock hard. I wish I had taken a picture, but didn't. I couldn't even force their mouth closed or unbend them. I've never seen this before. They died when I returned them to the water since they were still in this frozen type seizure and turned upside down. Has anyone ever seen this? I've reached out to the fish farm where I get my replacements and they've never seen it either. I can't find anything like it on google. Any ideas?
F Troop91
Great
Now we have milinial fish
FishingAggie
Shock? All I can think of
GatorAg03
AG
That seems really odd. Are you sure your son didn't drop them or anything? All I can think of would be if they got popped on the head really hard or something.

It doesn't make sense that they would go from active and feeding to seized up and dead immediately. I would be really curious to hear if you find a cause on this.
Mule_lx
AG
Do you need some new genetics?
Sean98
AG
Super weird. I've just absolutely DRILLED small bass in heavy timber in Lake Fork with a stiff rod, 20# test and a 3/0 hook and have never had any act like that. I set the hook on some so hard that 1-1 1/2 pound bass came completely out of the water (It's Fork, you never knew if it was a little dude or a 12#er you needed to get out of the timber fast).
OldCamp
OldCamp
You don't need to rip the lip off the fish to land it
http://www.bassfan.com/news_article/7410/be-mindful-of-your-hook-setting-mechanics#.WUBqYoFOmEc
f2redpot
This isn't a hook set problem. These fish are being caught on a fly. Something about these florida bass is making them freak out and freeze when caught. I'll try again and take a picture. Absolutely crazy.
RM1993
AG
f2redpot said:

This isn't a hook set problem. These fish are being caught on a fly. Something about these florida bass is making them freak out and freeze when caught. I'll try again and take a picture. Absolutely crazy.
Obvious answer is meth....
TheVarian
AG
Or Bath salts
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.