Outdoors
Sponsored by

But I don't get a smoke ring on a kamodo.... DERP

6,685 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 35chililights
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

agfan2013
AG
Meh, doesn't look as good as the one I get on my stick burner
AggieChemist
AG
Pics or GTFO
gillom
AG

Stick burner.

Full disclosure... your brisket looks delicious and I have no issues with ceramic pit bbq.
HTownAg98
I don't get why people care about a smoke ring. If the brisket is good, eat it. Plus, you can easily fake a smoke ring.
Cancelled
AG
The smoke ring doesn't come from the smoke. Leave your brisket in the fridge until right when you put it on.

Caveat: yes smoke can cause myoglobin to turn red, but it's no indication about how much smoke or taste you get.
drummer0415
AG
queso1 said:

The smoke ring doesn't come from the smoke. Leave your brisket in the fridge until right when you put it on. It has nothing to do with smoke

Cancelled
AG
See my edit before you jumped in.
big ben
AG
Honestly looks overcooked
Cancelled
AG
Don't you have a tool box to buy or something?
big ben
AG
...I need to change my user name
Cancelled
AG
big ben said:

Hahaha
normaleagle05
AG
big ben said:

Staff...can we get a "large charles" over here?
Shelton98
AG
big ben said:

Looks pretty dry.
FIDO*98*
AG
big ben said:

Looks to me like he wrapped it too early and tried to steam it finished
gillom
WC87
AG
What lump and wood did you use?
techno-ag
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I don't get why people care about a smoke ring. If the brisket is good, eat it. Plus, you can easily fake a smoke ring.

AggieChemist
AG
It was most certainly not dry, but it wasn't my best brisket ever. I agree that it's probably a function of using the crutch. That cut face was when I went back to slice more for seconds for the table, so it had been exposed to air for several minutes. I also didn't get to rest this brisket for several hours in a cooler like I usually do.

I only took this one to 194 internal because it felt done. I usually have to go higher but I usually don't cook such a small (7 lb) brisket, either.

Had I thought critically about this, I would have realized that the monkeys on texags would throw poo at me and taken some instagram-worthy posed shot that put my brisket forward in the best possible light. Instead, I just snapped a pic to send to my dad because he'd asked for one.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm amazed at the level of critiquing regarding brisket. If it tastes good, that's all I care about.
ursusguy
AG
Looks tasty to me.
gillom
AG
I think most of this is tongue in cheek...
Aggie Rick
AG
Irish_Man said:

I'm amazed at the level of critiquing regarding brisket. If it tastes good, that's all I care about.

This is TexAgs. Every one of us could smoke Aaron Franklin out of business if we weren't so busy catching fish THIS big, spear hunting rhinos in Africa, or sexing GB 10's all day.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm not belittling anyone. I know it's a pretty serious hobby for some and they take pride in their process.

I'm just amazed at how involved it can become.
GtownRAB
AG
In all fairness, it is hard to get a good brisket pic. I have seen pictures taken of brisket that was outstanding, but looks dry in the pictures.

GtownRAB
AG
Irish_Man said:

I'm not belittling anyone. I know it's a pretty serious hobby for some and they take pride in their process.

I'm just amazed at how involved it can become.

No doubt. Brisket is a lot of work and know how, in addition to being expensive. I enjoy talking BBQ and discussing techniques, but am always very careful to not talk negative about someone that cooked and was nice enough to share it with me.

Last competition I judged, teams asked us for feedback. Overall the quality was very low. I felt bad giving honest feedback when teams gave us samples from their pit (after we had already judged). They asked so they could improve, still felt bad nitpicking the hard work they had put in, but there was a lot of room for improvement.
AgLA06
AG
AggieChemist said:

Had I thought critically about this, I would have realized that the monkeys on texags would throw poo at me and taken some instagram-worthy posed shot that put my brisket forward in the best possible light. Instead, I just snapped a pic to send to my dad because he'd asked for one.

From look at me and I'm thumbing my nose at the majority of you (poking the tiger) with my fancy things to woe is me you meanies in hours.

Impressive.
35chililights
AG
Primo XL smoke ring.

agrams
AG
The biggest problem with your brisket is that it is there and i am here...
dodger02
AG
I smoked a brisket on my BGE on Saturday. Ever since switching to a BGE from an offset smoker, I've struggled to get a good bark on my meat. My excuse is two-fold:

1.) I switched to just using salt & pepper as my rub.

2.) I only smoke over oak lump charcoal and don't supplement any other wood. The smoke exiting my BGE is quite faint - almost clear with only a very slight hint of white. Very clean.

I'm inclined to think my issue is more the former than the latter but am interested in some thoughts.

I was very pleased with my end product. But I do miss the texture that a good brisket bark provides.
Premium
AG
From another thread but relevant here - critique this.

Pretrimmed Prime Brisket - 7.5lbs - was probably 11lbs before it was trimmed.

18" Weber Smokey Mountain

Salt and Pepper Only - 1/2water 1/2worcestershire spray every 30-45 minutes starting 2hrs in

Used mostly lump oak, slight amount of lump mesquite - chunks of mesquite and pecan as main chunks

10hrs on the smoker from 225 up to 250 and finished around 260. Internal took off at 200 and cooler rested for 2hrs. No wrap other than a towel in the cooler.

Lean is neatly sliced and I didn't do my best cut job for the photo on the moist.

agcrock2005
AG
big ben said:

Thought it was a pork chop.
javajaws
AG
Just so you'll know what a proper smoke ring looks like:

It wasn't the best brisket (not enough bark), but dang if it didn't look purty!
agcrock2005
AG
javajaws said:

Just so you'll know what a proper smoke ring looks like:

It wasn't the best brisket (not enough bark), but dang if it didn't look purty!
That looks great. Here's one I did last week. I didn't have enough bark either but it's because I did the crutch and it got soggy. Had a badass bark until then. I got some butcher paper this weekend however so I can keep the bark on my next ones. Going to make the switch next time.

35chililights
AG
Well, for starters, you're not really smoking if you are just using lump charcoal. The faint smoke you are seeing is just the rest of the incomplete carbonization of your lump charcoal leaving.

Second, if you aren't putting any sugar on the outside of the meat, and only doing salt and pepper, you'll see no carmalization of of said sugars.

I'm sure it is good, but you are essentially slowly heating up a steak.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.