Outdoors
Sponsored by

Port A biggest ship ever

14,944 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
FishingAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you're in port a tomorrow there's a ship coming in. It's 1000 feet or so long. Longest ship or biggest to ever enter the Gulf of Mexico. Coming in between 7-10am. Check it out if you can. Hoping someone like Sunchaser gets Picts. I don't know how to post them. He would do a really good job.

Anyway, it should be really cool. The tide is very low. We're wondering how she'll get to port. Going to load up then pump into a tanker offshore. Hoping they don't spill any. It's a big deal for a small town. Really hope someone can post the Picts.

Happy Memorial Day all. Be safe.
DG96
AG
http://www.portasouthjetty.com/news/2017-05-18/Front_Page/Arrival_time_for_big_ship_released.html
bigfoot10s
AG
Wow. Crazy the amount that thing can hold. I am hoping someone gets pics as well
lexofer
AG
Here it is if you want to track her. Anne

Article has the name wrong, along with all the other articles. It is a VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) not VLC.

There are around 650 ships of that size in the world but they don't often make it that close to shore. They'll usually load and offload at offshore oil terminals as they can't get close to shallow water ports. Draft is around 10m during ballast and 21m+ when full.

Definitely not the biggest ship that's ever been in the Gulf but maybe that's come into port like that. Company I work for has a ULCC (only class larger than VLCC) that was off the Yucatan for many years as a floating storage facility.
SquirrellyDan
AG
lexofer said:

Article has the name wrong, along with all the other articles. It is a VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) not VLC.

There are around 650 ships of that size in the world but they don't often make it that close to shore. They'll usually load and offload at offshore oil terminals as they can't get close to shallow water ports. Draft is around 10m during ballast and 21m+ when full.

Definitely not the biggest ship that's ever been in the Gulf but maybe that's come into port like that. Company I work for has a ULCC (only class larger than VLCC) that was off the Yucatan for many years as a floating storage facility.
Thanks for pointing out that site. I know nothing about the shipping industry, but it's pretty fascinating to see what's out there at any given time. Also had no idea how many navigable inland waterways there were in the world for big ships.

Tree Hugger
AG
Current status is "constrained by her draught"

Ag_07
AG
Somewhat off topic but I worked on the environmental work for that Oxy facility a few years ago when they bought the place.

The property was a deserted Naval base and Oxy purchased it and converted it to a terminal. The place already had the dock, offices, etc. They bought it, tore down a bunch of dorms and housing and put tanks on it. We saw some really cool stuff walking around a deserted Naval station.

Pretty cool to see it come full circle. I also hope someone gets pictures.

Wasn't the biggest platform in the Gulf (some Shell platform) assembled and sailed out of Port A recently?
Furlock Bones
AG
lexofer said:

i laughed at the mentioned of the largest ship ever in the gulf. i would believe it is the first time a VLCC has come into a gulf port.

here's some info on her and her current location

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:4001014/mmsi:228075700/vessel:ANNE

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
So cool, you can see the tugs and support going out to meet her. Damn I hope someone gets some pics.
MouthBQ98
AG
I was in my skiff in the mouth of the jetties when an 800 footer came through, and I had to pick up and go quick. Just got underway and got my bow aimed at her bow wave as it passed. Nearly obscured the entire vessel from my view and towered over me before I rode up and over it. It drove lots of fishermen up to the top of the jetties, too.
schmellba99
AG
Ag_07 said:

Somewhat off topic but I worked on the environmental work for that Oxy facility a few years ago when they bought the place.

The property was a deserted Naval base and Oxy purchased it and converted it to a terminal. The place already had the dock, offices, etc. They bought it, tore down a bunch of dorms and housing and put tanks on it. We saw some really cool stuff walking around a deserted Naval station.

Pretty cool to see it come full circle. I also hope someone gets pictures.

Wasn't the biggest platform in the Gulf (some Shell platform) assembled and sailed out of Port A recently?
Don't know if it was the largest, but it was a big 'ol boy for sure. My older brother works for one of the companies that built it. Some of their sectional lifts were staggering amounts of weight - I think he said even Manitowoc stuttered a couple of times when they were discussing the lifts.

They have another one getting ready to be built that is about the same size. Can't remember if it's slightly larger or smaller, thinking smaller though.
schmellba99
AG
The amount of power needed to push these things is amazing to me. Saw a show on Discovery a while back about how they build the engines for these - unreal. The cylinders have access doors a man can walk through. That is just something I have a hard time picturing.

The cam shaft was machined at a shop in Japan - I would have paid money just to watch that thing get made, because it was something like 3' in diameter without the cams. We can build some amazing stuff at times.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This would be the perfect opportunity for someone to go to the shore and use their Periscope app.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
From @Caller_Courtney on Twitter this morning

Marauder Blue 6
AG
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Marauder Blue 6
AG
mts6175
AG
Can only imagine the wake that thing makes....
Marauder Blue 6
AG

Marauder Blue 6
AG
MrJonMan
AG
Pretty dang cool

Very good friend of mine is a ship captain, I just sent him this and told him his 550ft ship might as well be a dingy
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
mts6175 said:

Can only imagine the wake that thing makes....
Loaded and coming back out of the port is gonna wash way up the ship channel sides, would love to be there to see it. The regular tankers create a hell of a wash, this will be huge.
FishingAggie
It didn't look as big as I thought it would. Was hard to get scale. I'd like to see it in port in cc. I may drive over there to get a picture.

By the way if you're coming over the ferry they're turning away rv's. The tide is low. Call the ferry number to see when it's lifted. Probably today. I watched them send a poor guy back last night. Sucks to wait all that time and get turned away because you didn't read the sign.

Sean98
AG
From sunchasers window...
DDSO
Brush Country
Where is it going to be in Port? Did someone say the new Oxy terminal in Ingleside? Bummer if so, would like to try to spot it from the Harbor Bridge on my way home.
Furlock Bones
AG
Brush Country said:

Where is it going to be in Port? Did someone say the new Oxy terminal in Ingleside? Bummer if so, would like to try to spot it from the Harbor Bridge on my way home.
yes it's going to Oxy's Ingleside terminal.
Brush Country
Thanks. I'm guessing it wouldn't be able to clear the existing bridge (one of the reasons they are building a new one).
up-n-aTm
AG
Anyone know when it's leaving again? I may try to surf the wake on the way out.
Furlock Bones
AG
up-n-aTm said:

Anyone know when it's leaving again? I may try to surf the wake on the way out.
i believe sunday is the planned sailing date. but, i wouldn't be surprised if it is monday.
Furlock Bones
AG
Brush Country said:

Thanks. I'm guessing it wouldn't be able to clear the existing bridge (one of the reasons they are building a new one).
correct.
p-wonk01
AG
Rough day out there it looks like
Brush Country
May on the Coast. There is a little bit of wind.
proc
AG

Yep, we're good!
Mowdy Ag
AG
p-wonk01 said:

Rough day out there it looks like
I was down there yesterday trying to fish - the wind was howling. Wednesday, the surf was flat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.