Outdoors
Sponsored by

ALONE Season 4

24,066 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Watchful Ag
OE_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't know if y'all saw History came out with the new trailer. Starts June 15th

Twist for this season..... They are no longer alone. Now teams of 2 will be competing. Should be interesting
AgBQ-00
AG
Have not seen the trailer not sure how I feel about teams
Watchful Ag
AG
ALONE

(w/ a buddy)
OE_Ag11
AG
Was trying to find it on YouTube but no luck yet. Popped up on my Facebook from the "Alone on History" official page

Will be interesting, with how they have been doing on food, I wonder if they are going to start starving quicker or if two people will allow them to conserve and get more
BCO07
AG
Disappointed in the change in format. I'm sure they did this so they can play up fake drama between teammates because our culture sucks
OE_Ag11
AG
ATX_AG_08
AG
BCO07 said:

Disappointed in the change in format. I'm sure they did this so they can play up fake drama between teammates because our culture sucks
Of course they did, and you can 100% bet the two people will purposefully have completely different and clashing personalities.
OE_Ag11
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

BCO07 said:

Of course they did, and you can 100% bet the two people will purposefully have completely different and clashing personalities.

So off the other trailer one guy is looking for his brother so I guess they applied as teams. Still around anyone long enough they will get some good footage of them bickering or trying to do multiple things
Drillbit4
AG
And next will be Celebrity Alone.
BCO07
AG
Drillbit4 said:

This I could get behind. Drop off Hollywood types and politicians and forget to pick them up
California Ag 90
AG
hmmm...so when the inevitable starvation sets in, we can wonder which team members will try to eat each other.

OE_Ag11
AG
Bet the organizers put it in the rules that they couldn't. Ruining all our fun. It will get joked about I gurruntee it
BrazosDog02
AG
Eh..the alone schtick is kinda played out. We watched. We get it. Boring.

Adding a person is not quite as boring. I guess.
Bregxit
AG
Sooooo, it'll be Naked and Afraid. But with clothes. And equipment.
AgBQ-00
AG
Read a little bit about season 4 last night. Seems they have a teammate it they start off separated and have to find each other. Could be interesting.
plowboy1065
S
Just isn't the same show with another person there. The whole mental mind F*** of not having anyone else around is what gets to most people first
OldCamp
Quote:

Eh..the alone schtick is kinda played out. We watched. We get it. Boring.

Disagree. I just think they need to change the settings. Try a season on a tropical island, or in the desert, or swamp. The show becomes more educational as the audience is exposed to survival in varied terrain and habitats.
ursusguy
AG
We know they are going to want to mess with their head, so I'm guess polar opposite ethics/personalities.

Guessing---
*Mom missing kids with some dude that we will learn has some jacked up family background
*Stereotypical Alabama redneck with a flamboyant guy from California (who we learn is some type of military vet)
*Idaho/Utah/Arizona devout Mormon with a Vermont atheist
*Anti immigrant with some immigrant with a heart wrenching story
*Cattle rancher with vegan
*Homophobe with some former combat veteran Marine with kids that later in life discovered he prefers dudes. Both walk with life changing changes in attitude.

I'm sure we will see some versions of the above.
meggy09
AG
I'd be down to get paired with Callie from last season. First priority being to populate our new settlement.
AggieOO
ursusguy said:

We know they are going to want to mess with their head, so I'm guess polar opposite ethics/personalities.

Guessing---
*Mom missing kids with some dude that we will learn has some jacked up family background
*Stereotypical Alabama redneck with a flamboyant guy from California (who we learn is some type of military vet)
*Idaho/Utah/Arizona devout Mormon with a Vermont atheist
*Anti immigrant with some immigrant with a heart wrenching story
*Cattle rancher with vegan
*Homophobe with some former combat veteran Marine with kids that later in life discovered he prefers dudes. Both walk with life changing changes in attitude.

I'm sure we will see some versions of the above.
not if the above is correct and they applied together.

i really liked the format of them being solo. i'll still watch, but this is lame.
ursusguy
AG
Crap, missed that part. That takes the fun out of it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'm in the same boat, the mind torture of being alone is part of what makes it a test. You can find a couple of dirty Cajun cousins and even in a harsh environment, they might stick it out for a couple of years. Plus I don't like having to read captions to understand what they would be saying.

No offense to dirty Cajuns.
TheVarian
AG
BCO07 said:

Drillbit4 said:

forget to pick them up
Spotted Ag
AG
So basically it's Naked and Afraid now without constantly being naked?
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
TX AG 88
AG
Actually I think this makes a lot of sense. The contestants have learned from the earlier seasons, and each one has gone longer than the others. However, I think they were kind of reaching the limit of what was possible for one person. The last season, the starvation was going to be the limiting factor one way or another. I forget their names, but the guy who won expected that he was about to be sent home for losing so much body weight, he won just by virtue of his opponent dropping below her minimum weight just a day or so earlier than he did.

Several contestants who MAY have had the skills to go longer just got bored and opted to leave due to the lonliness. By alleviating that issue, a new dynamic is added to the problem, but a good working team could set up a system/routine where they could actually thrive for much longer than what we've seen up to date.

Without a format change, the show was limited to "more of the same". This way there are new hurdles and bridges to cross. Naked and Afraid is just a novelty show by comparison, IMO.

(Granted, a setting with more abundant resources might allow new levels of accomplishment, but a lot of those STILL might never be realized due to lonely people tapping out with a lot of gas left in their tanks.)

Optimistic, although it's not a slam dunk that this will be an improvement.
OldCamp
Quote:

Naked and Afraid is just a novelty show by comparison
I'd give Naked and Afraid some credit.
They put people in very inhospitable places with extreme temperatures, bugs, etc. and little in the way of forage.
They are allowed only one item to survive.
Its a tough trial.
Bregxit
AG
PineTreeAg said:

Quote:

Naked and Afraid is just a novelty show by comparison
I'd give Naked and Afraid some credit.
They put people in very inhospitable places with extreme temperatures, bugs, etc. and little in the way of forage.
They are allowed only one item to survive.
Its a tough trial.
I give them a lot of credit. I can't imagine the fortitude it takes to go anywhere short of home or a resort for three weeks butt naked with nothing but a knife, fire starter and a pot. No protection from the sun. No protection from the cold. No protection from bugs and wildlife.

I love Alone but the "alone" part is what makes the show. Add a second person and as I said at the top of the thread, it's N&A but with clothes and equipment. They should change the name to Marooned or Lost or something.
mpl35
AG
I don't have a problem with it. To me watching alone and Naked and Afraid is about watching how people cope and deal with adversity. I'm also up for watching the Naked and Afraid XL that focuses on group dynamics. I would love to see a show with the contestants in small groups and just told to "establish" a colony or homestead with basic items. I'd enjoy seeing them use primitive skills to survive and thrive. I wouldn't object at all if they paid them 100k or so with bonuses for staying a year. I don't need it to be a contest.

Sure it isn't "Alone" but I enjoy the shows and the challenge so rename it and move on.
PharmD4
AG
Dual Survival starts June 15th
Bregxit
AG
PharmD4 said:

Dual Survival starts June 15th

Now talk about a show that went to crap.
Presley OBannons Sword
TX AG 88 said:

Actually I think this makes a lot of sense. The contestants have learned from the earlier seasons, and each one has gone longer than the others. However, I think they were kind of reaching the limit of what was possible for one person. The last season, the starvation was going to be the limiting factor one way or another. I forget their names, but the guy who won expected that he was about to be sent home for losing so much body weight, he won just by virtue of his opponent dropping below her minimum weight just a day or so earlier than he did.

Several contestants who MAY have had the skills to go longer just got bored and opted to leave due to the lonliness. By alleviating that issue, a new dynamic is added to the problem, but a good working team could set up a system/routine where they could actually thrive for much longer than what we've seen up to date.

Without a format change, the show was limited to "more of the same". This way there are new hurdles and bridges to cross. Naked and Afraid is just a novelty show by comparison, IMO.

(Granted, a setting with more abundant resources might allow new levels of accomplishment, but a lot of those STILL might never be realized due to lonely people tapping out with a lot of gas left in their tanks.)

Optimistic, although it's not a slam dunk that this will be an improvement.
I am pretty bummed about the format change, but this post actually sort of changed my mind. I think it could be pretty cool.

That said, long term, this will definitely bring about the destruction of what was the coolest reality show of all time. I give it one solid season with the new format before they go down the inevitable path of drama and staged "reality" a la Naked and Afraid XL
elnaco
AG
I don't really like the format change BUT what could make it very interesting is if they let a contestant continue alone if their partner decides to tap.

I do think that now, with a partner and presumably an increase of take along items, that the climate/ conditions should be worse. I'll miss the alone mental aspect of the game but who am I kidding I'm going to watch it either way. It'll still beat 90% of whats on TV.

OE_Ag11
AG
that could be the case. they dont drop them off together either as the one preview alluded to. so you have to find your teammate. the extra survival items I think will make it better. also should be a little filming and such.
dave99ag
AG
Has there been any mention of where they'll be this season? I rolled my eyes at the two-person teams, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Presley OBannons Sword
elnaco said:

I don't really like the format change BUT what could make it very interesting is if they let a contestant continue alone if their partner decides to tap.

I do think that now, with a partner and presumably an increase of take along items, that the climate/ conditions should be worse. I'll miss the alone mental aspect of the game but who am I kidding I'm going to watch it either way. It'll still beat 90% of whats on TV.

ooh, I do like that...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.