Outdoors
Sponsored by

Baby Deer are outdoors

3,599 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Credible Source
AlaskanAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was visiting my Dad's house in the hill country this weekend and apparently mamma deer decided our porch was a safe place to leave the lil one for a while... if only she had looked through the window at all the mounts!

AgEng06
AG
Hobbes01
AG
Last fall I turned onto my street (west of Austin) to find this site. Watch to the end for an extra surprise (at least I didn't notice until then).

AgEng06
AG
I noticed almost immediately, but honestly it was only because you tipped me off.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What part of the hill country?
GottaRide
S
I hunt in Uvalde County but live in Brazos. I continually hear guys around here talking about the rut always happening around here in early November, but I'm just now seeing fawns starting to drop. Surely those guys can't be wrong and the does around here just carry a month past term.
AlaskanAg08
AG
Bulverde
Sean98
AG
GottaRide said:

I hunt in Uvalde County but live in Brazos. I continually hear guys around here talking about the rut always happening around here in early November, but I'm just now seeing fawns starting to drop. Surely those guys can't be wrong and the does around here just carry a month past term.

What is your understanding of the whitetail gestation period? Because it's basically 200 days. About 6.7 months. So early November, plus 6.7 months means the fawns SHOULD be hitting the ground right now...
Wodanaz
AG
Pretty cool!

BIL and I were cutting hay a few years back and jumped several fawns. One very fresh little guy would not jump & run from the tractor, so I picked it up & moved it over the wood line. We both snapped a few pics of each other with it to show the wives & kids. My sister posts on Facebook without the context AND THE CHIT-SHOW COMMENCED!

2 game wardens and Grimes County sheriff show up and are convinced we've got Bambi hidden in a closet somewhere. It was an overblown clown-show ordeal that even made the Navasota police blotter. After we convinced them what really happened, I **** you not, the trainee game warden said "its best to let nature run its course and just shred them".
Mathguy64
AG
Cool. Veal chops!
PBR
you're the kinda ol boy that gives hunters a bad name
fightingfarmer09
GottaRide
S
Stupid memory! Deer are different than goats, dang it. I was wrong one other time in my life, too.
C4D
AG
Found one yesterday behind my place that looked like it had been birthed into a red ant bed. Wouldnt figure a birthing mother would do that but it was the obvious explanation for the death of the fawn.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
We hunt Uvalde and rut is almost always Thanksgiving +/- a week.

Fawns usually drop between now and the first week of june.

Edit* - depends on where you are in Uvalde... the closer to 90, the later it is. The further north the closer to Thanksgiving.
Sean98
AG
What are we supposed to be seeing? That it's twins? Because it was clearly twins. (Although lined up pretty symmetrically)
Credible Source
AG
PBR said:

you're the kinda ol boy that gives hunters a bad name

Who was that directed at and why?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.