Outdoors
Sponsored by

She was a Great

7,254 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SECeded
DrSocrates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not as action packed as your memories but "A Dogs Purpose" might be up you alley.

Makes ya wonder sometimes I too had a Border Collie (Coco) for 14 years and when he past away a border collie (Riggins/Riggs) at the local shelter pick me for a new home. Riggins has a lot of quirky similarities as well as picking up where Coco left off that often makes me wonder. So many things I taught Coco I have really had to teach Riggs he just seems to know.
Wodanaz
AG
Hoss said:

Whoop04 said:

Not sure any of that story is true, but blue star anyway.

You have to factor in that it was written from his perspective as 6 year old. In real life those accounts probably weren't nearly as gruesome, but in his 6-8 year old mind at the time that's probably what it looked like.

I love Great Pyrenees. Amazing animals. Here's my kids' dog, Bruno. He's just a big, dopey, happy puppy, but my kids love him to death. He's not doing so well right now though. He got bit on the ankle by something last night (thinking snake) and somehow tore his ACL and is going to require surgery.

Nailed it.

I guarantee you that big doofus has a switch built in that would flip him 0 to 100 if anyone or anything was trying to bring harm to those kids.

We never wanted to see her instincts, but were so thankful they were present when we needed them. Mom was opposed to a dog, especially one with that much hair. After that glass shattering display, she held no qualm with vacuuming the foot of my bed a few times a week.

The peace of mind she brought all of us was priceless. Whenever I'd go out and play for the day, Mom made it a point to make sure I was taking Libby. She earned the trust of a mother with the safety of her child. Looking back now, as a parent, that's not small.

My parents divorced and my Mom didn't see Libby for years before she died. She wasn't a cryer, but she couldn't fight it back the day I told her Libby was gone.

Thank y'all for sharing your GP stories & pictures.
Wodanaz
AG
DrSocrates said:

Not as action packed as your memories but "A Dogs Purpose" might be up you alley.

Makes ya wonder sometimes I too had a Border Collie (Coco) for 14 years and when he past away a border collie (Riggins/Riggs) at the local shelter pick me for a new home. Riggins has a lot of quirky similarities as well as picking up where Coco left off that often makes me wonder. So many things I taught Coco I have really had to teach Riggs he just seems to know.

I've been wanting to watch that.

Dad remarried a woman with a young boy & they had my half-sister shortly after. My sister and I bought their family a male Pyr they named Max.

Max would go to the end of the dirt road with the boy to catch the bus every morning. One morning, a random pack of dogs met them halfway and started towards them. Max was only about 6 months old, but stood his ground as my step brother sprinted to the house. They killed Max where he stood.

They don't win 'em all but they'll stand in the shadow of death without trace of a tremble. I haven't had another Pyr, but I will, and I hope it has a little of that Libby & Max mojo.
FrontPorchAg
My Pyr took on a black bear in my front yard one night. Just blasted down front stair and exchanged scraps and bites with the bear and then chased her out of the yard.

Trundle meet her end to a speeding driver in my neighborhood last Oct.

Hoss
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

I guarantee you that big doofus has a switch built in that would flip him 0 to 100 if anyone or anything was trying to bring harm to those kids.

Weelllllll....maybe. I barged through the front door in a ski mask one time just to see how he reacted. He tripped all over himself and the other dog trying to get out the back door. It was pretty hilarious to watch except for the fact that it wasn't the reaction I hoped for.

The other dog is 3/4 Anatolian and 1/4 Pyr. She came to her feet, stood her ground and started barking. I don't like her as much, but she's probably the better guardian.

The Pyr just wants to play with everyone. He frequently escapes the back yard while my former wife and kids are at school and goes looking for neighborhood kids or anyone that will pet him. Most people in the neighborhood recognize him now. He'll roam around for a bit and then go back home and lay in the front yard until they get home. One day they got home and he was laying in the front yard with 3-4 high school girls huddled around sweet-talking and petting him and he was loving life.

I'd like to think he has an inner guardian built in there somewhere though.
ursusguy
FishingAggie
Hoss said:

VoreMoar12 said:

Weelllllll....maybe. I barged through the front door in a ski mask one time just to see how he reacted. He tripped all over himself and the other dog trying to get out the back door. It was pretty hilarious to watch except for the fact that it wasn't the reaction I hoped for.

The other dog is 3/4 Anatolian and 1/4 Pyr. She came to her feet, stood her ground and started barking. I don't like her as much, but she's probably the better guardian.

The Pyr just wants to play with everyone. He frequently escapes the back yard while my former wife and kids are at school and goes looking for neighborhood kids or anyone that will pet him. Most people in the neighborhood recognize him now. He'll roam around for a bit and then go back home and lay in the front yard until they get home. One day they got home and he was laying in the front yard with 3-4 high school girls huddled around sweet-talking and petting him and he was loving life.

I'd like to think he has an inner guardian built in there somewhere though.

Dog brings home the chics. Sounds like a man's best friend right their. He's ahead of the game....
SECeded
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.