Outdoors
Sponsored by

Advice on paddles for kayaking

634 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MouthBQ98
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the best bang for your buck on a good (not best) paddle?

I see that Academy has a carbon paddle for about $120. No Limits brand I think. Maybe an in-house brand.

Would like something light (so the wife enjoys kayaking more).
saltydog13
AG
Is $120 your budget? More? I went with Werner for mine. I think it was around $200-250
shiftyandquick
Yes. No more than that.

I have a hobie outback, so I don't paddle much.

And wife won't use her kayak all that much. But I want her to enjoy it when she does.
javajaws
AG
I have a super light carbon paddle I use while my son has a cheaper plastic one. The performance difference between them is like night and day! I say spend as much as you possibly can for as light a paddle as you can get.
shiftyandquick
javajaws said:

I have a super light carbon paddle I use while my son has a cheaper plastic one. The performance difference between them is like night and day! I say spend as much as you possibly can for as light a paddle as you can get.
how much did you spend?

I had my eye on a $145 werner partial carbon paddle on sale at REI.
MouthBQ98
AG
Academy now has a decent carbon fiber paddle.

I recommend carbon shaft with at least fiberglass blades, or completely carbon. I use a Werner 230cm with fiberglass blades. About 24oz. My cheap plastic bladed aluminum paddle is 40oz. Makes a difference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.