Outdoors
Sponsored by

Damn coyotes [Staff Warning on OP]

7,051 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
hammerhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Get a early morning call from my daughter who lives south of Taft (north of the bay) and she was hurting bad..

Cracked the front door to let her little Dachshund (that she absolutely loves) out like she does every morning...moments later hears a blood curdling yelp and runs out with her shotgun only to see a giant yote carrying him off. She got off one shot but it was to far away.

Well if that was not enough, her horse freaked out by the shot and ended up dislocating his hip (that popped back in place according to the Vet) that she thought was broke. Vet says he should be fine in about 3-4 weeks...

Tough day for my girl.

[THIS IS NOT THE GENERAL BOARD. From this point on, any poster that is disrespectful or makes jokes about this post is going to be gone for a month. -Staff]

[We cleaned up several posts in groups. If you had a post removed by accident, it was an accident and not personal. -Staff]
water turkey
That sucks. Sorry for her.
Brush Country
That sucks.

I don't live too far from there. Back up to a golf course and then wooded area on the other side of that. Between the coyotes, gray fox, and big owls I'd never let my little dachshunds out without being in a fenced yard.

Sean98
AG

BradMtn346
Coyotes are the only animal I really don't like. they get very few of my calves, but when they do, I go on the war path. Give your daughter my best.

raidernarizona
Brad, I wanna say "you're one lucky sob", but I'll just stick with "you're blessed", because it sounds nicer. That pic is awesome. Looks like you live in an amazing spot. Jealous!
MouthBQ98
AG
Sad to hear about a lost beloved pet. A small dog in coyote country needs to be watched carefully outside of broad daylight, or kept inside a fence. You can't always be there to watch them easily.

We have plenty of yotes around where I am at, as I find their scat quite a bit a distance from the house, but my "pack" of collies deters them from coming close to the house.
BradMtn346
raidernarizona said:

Brad, I wanna say "you're one lucky sob", but I'll just stick with "you're blessed", because it sounds nicer. That pic is awesome. Looks like you live in an amazing spot. Jealous!

Thanks. I was mad the day I took this picture. These *******s had pulled a calf through the fence so the momma couldn't protect it.

I lost a dog to coyotes when I was 5, so this thread is personal.
SWCBonfire
AG
Ate my wife's dachshund, too... although I'm not sure if it was coyotes or foxes. Probably won't ever get another dog smaller than an aussie or maybe a corgi because of it.
ursusguy
AG
I'll have to find my slide on the matter (I posted it a couple years ago), but the dachshunds are the #1 or #2 breed tagged by coyotes.
35chililights
AG
Get that girl an AR. With a suppressor.
Watchful Ag
AG
Daughter that grabs shotgun quickly .. ? You must be a proud father.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Interesting you mention this. I remembering reading, probably on here, the correlation with high turkey populations and high coyote populations.

We had an explosion of turkeys on our lease after landowner stopped poisoning and our coyote population exploded... the explanation I was given was the same you ,mentioned. The more coyotes, the less secondary and tertiary predators that actually impacted the turkeys.

Nature is very interesting in that way.

And sorry for the OP.... that's terrible.
BCO07
AG
Early in dove season last year we were warming my dog up for teal and a coyote chased my dog in until he spotted us at about 50 yards. Don't think my pup ever saw him. My dog was probably at 65 lbs or so at the time.
45-70Ag
AG
When my wife and I were newly weds we came in to see my inlaws from ft Campbell

My fil feeds his animals early around 4:30am and I thought I would help him. I was outside the hay barn and I heard a gun blast inside the barn.

I walked in and he had shot a coyote off the hay that was growling at him. I had been in there earlier and never saw it.
Centerpole90
AG
ETA - I'm going to leave this up because staff left it up. I hope the OP understands it's not making light of his daughter's situation, but rather commiserating with them that yes, in fact, when living in the country -coyotes are part of life. I am grateful that so far my loss has been limited to barnyard animals and not companion pets.

Original post -

Sorry about the OPs experience, but it reminds of rekated experience here in the farm. - My sister-in-law is, uh, very sensitive about animals, domesticated animals anyway.

On one particular visit she noted that the barn cats always seemed to be different cats on every visit and I said that yes, there was a lot of barn cat turnover and that the men on the farm regularly caught feral cats in town and brought them to the farm to release so they could rat around the barn.

Of course she thought that was insensitive and I defended myself saying that I, in fact, gave the cats a good home, fed them, and named each one.

She challenged me on the spot to name the three in sight; to which I proudly responded:

"Coyote Poop, Coyote Poop, and Coyote Poop."
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Sorry to hear that. I am from down there and raised in the country. One reason why I will never have one of those little dogs. We always had a pit running around that made sure the yotes didn't come anywhere close to the house.
hammerhead
Watchful Ag said:

Daughter that grabs shotgun quickly .. ? You must be a proud father.
If you only knew what she has been thru medically and to be at a point where she is now, I am so proud of her.

She has taken out many rattlers with that gun and a few other critters.
DriftwoodAg
AG

[This is not the General Board. -Staff]
Greenchiles
AG
A family member lost their schnauzer to coyotes earlier this year. Only found pieces and collar to confirm her pup wasn't coming back.

SBR, CAN, Primos are in just waiting on sights. Just a matter of time before I join in on the fight.
reddog90
AG
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. The exact same thing happened to my cousin's adult cat (i know, it's a cat). He was out the door and chasing the coyote out of the yard with it carrying to squalling cat in it's mouth. He's got young children that were pretty hurt by the event.
powerbelly
AG
My father in law says the best dog he ever had was a rottweiler he rescued from the side of the road in south Texas. The dog would run go at night and come back with a dead coyote or two whenever he was at the lease.

The dog seemed to have some kind of grudge against coyotes.
12f Mane
AG
12thmayne said:

SBR, CAN, Primos are in just waiting on sights. Just a matter of time before I join in on the fight.

It's not their fault and the "fight" may be doing more harm than good.
agdad4x
Come on, Coyotes aren't that bad, I was one for 12 years, same with little brother and two sons! (Alice Coyote that is)
CanyonAg77
AG
Related to coyotes, I have a neighbor with USDA animal control, and was visiting with him last night. We were watching two grey foxes climb on the roof of his neighbor's house, and discussing the skunks, possum, and turkeys also in our neighborhood.

Said he did a tracking study on Swift Foxes in the NW Texas Panhandle, Dallam County. They found that coyotes went after the swifts like everything. When they took out 300-400 coyotes in the area, the swift fox population exploded.
will.mcg
AG
dang, I won't take it personally that my post letting you know we will keep an eye out for yotes in the area got taken down. Tell her to stop in at the "horse farm" if she is in fact in that area & chat with the old lady there. They're good folks.
TexasAggie_02
hammerhead
will.mcg said:

dang, I won't take it personally that my post letting you know we will keep an eye out for yotes in the area got taken down. Tell her to stop in at the "horse farm" if she is in fact in that area & chat with the old lady there. They're good folks.
Not sure what I missed, have been on the road since early this morning but she knows the ":horse farm" and she is off of Koonce Loop towards the bay.

Update from the wife this morning that the horse is doing better...pretty good limp but much better.
will.mcg
AG
Sweet
SECeded
eric76
AG
powerbelly51 said:

My father in law says the best dog he ever had was a rottweiler he rescued from the side of the road in south Texas. The dog would run go at night and come back with a dead coyote or two whenever he was at the lease.

The dog seemed to have some kind of grudge against coyotes.
That's odd. I've never seen one of our dogs bring a coyote back after a night's prowling.

I have seem them drag dead cattle out of the field up the house so that they could have an extended lunch.
ursusguy
AG
Sucks that it happened.

Not sure I've ever had a post removed.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I was listening to one of Rinella's podcast and the guy speaking was discussing the book he wrote on coyotes. He said they were basically the only predator in N. America that we as humans had tried to exterminate and had never even come close. When their population density drops they increase their litter sizes to make up for it. It was a really interesting discussion.
AgEng06
AG
Pretty sure that was Dan Flores regarding his book American Serengeti.
AggieGunslinger
AG
It was Flores but he wrote a coyote book too. I think the publisher made him a deal where if he wrote one of the books they would let him write the other one that was is pet project.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.