Outdoors
Sponsored by

Don't let your guard down with young children around

10,459 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eric76
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had company over on Saturday evening for dinner. Like many evenings when the weather is nice, we propped open the front and back doors. My son and his cousin were playing in the living room; my daughter was coloring with sidewalk chalk on the back porch. The wife and I were cooking and engaged in conversation when my wife realized we hadn't seen the daughter in a while. She's super independent, quite creative, and can often play alone for thirty minutes or more at a time. She'll be three in about four months.

I searched the house, garage, and front and back yards to no avail. I took out down the street and drew the attention of a neighbor who asked if I was looking for a little blonde girl. He took me in the direction he last saw that she was headed where we encountered another individual asking the same question. He indicated that his daughter had found her. About that time, a police cruiser arrived. We quickly learned that she was safe and located with a group of people about a block and a half away from our house.

She was not upset, but very happy to see her daddy. Fortunately nothing bad happened to her. All I could imagine as I searched for her was finding her body laying in the street or not finding her at all. She told her temporary caregivers her name and her parents' names. At her age, she doesn't know our phone numbers.

As if her mother and I didn't feel bad enough and were thrilled to be reunited with our daughter, the police on scene wasted no time conducting their investigation and questioning our ability to care for and protect our children. In the end it was just a learning experience with no real consequences.

Bottom line: She's safe. Lessons were learned. No more open front doors. Kids are fast! God answers prayers! I get more chances for stuff like this:

(Sorry for the off topic post, but I needed to vent. I can't shake the bellyache thinking about what might have been. I rarely let my guard down when the kids are around, but it happened.)
tbone421998
AG
Glad it ended well. Yes kids are fast.
Scriffer
AG
My first arrives in September, and stuff like this scares the bejeezus out of me. Thanks for posting the reminder, and I'm glad everything ended happily.
tlfw378
AG
Glad it worked out for all. Sounds like you also have good neighbors, another blessing. Scary, scary times when you blink and your child dissapears.
bam02
AG
Glad she's ok. Good reminder. I'm not too quick to be overly critical when I hear news stories about kids wandering off anymore. Having kids makes you realize how it can happen to even the most vigilant parents.

I had a freaky incident happen with me and my four year old son in the restroom at my gym a few months ago that made me extremely leary of ever letting him or my daughter go in by themselves again. Turned out to be a non-malicious thing but was eye-opening how quickly things can happen.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Same thing happened to us. In fact, we were at the hospital where my wife just gave birth to our son. Her mom comes in 5 minutes after the birth to tell us what happened. Our daughter just decided to open the back door and go for a walk. 30 minutes of hell for my MIL before she found her with a neighbor and police.

Of course, I was just upset that she couldn't have waited a little longer to tell us. Keep the garage down at all times now.
FatZilla
AG
If opening doors is regular, get some screen doors installed or a chi;d gate to put up in the front. Should help prevent this and keep bugs out if you go the screen door route.
JAW3336
AG
Thus the reason we put key pads to get out the back doors of our house to the pool and keep the gates locked. We have a 5yo with special needs and we don't have to worry about him getting to the pool without us knowing about it. It is amazing how you can get distracted for 3 minutes and look up and they are nowhere to be seen or heard.
Bregxit
AG
Glad she was okay!

And in before /schmellbacoprant.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

the police on scene wasted no time conducting their investigation and questioning our ability to care for and protect our children. In the end it was just a learning experience with no real consequences.
Thank goodness that cop used some discretion and didn't decide CPS needed to visit - that could've turned into a total nightmare.
Stasco
AG
My wife and I took our 14 month old daughter to a little raptor (bird, not dinosaur) festival at a nearby state park over the weekend (we're currently in Northern Va.) She's just now getting to an age where she sometimes enjoys playing by herself, and her walking and climbing skills seem to increase daily.

Anyway, right before leaving we took her to play on a small slide for a little while. I would let her go at the top of the slide, and my wife would catch her at the bottom. She absolutely loved it. Afterwards, when I was carrying her back to the car, she got a little squirmy, so I let her down to walk. She immediately took off back toward the playground. My wife and I both thought it would be funny to see how far she gets before looking back or turning around, because the playground was probably 75 yards away across a field, but she's never even glanced back. I finally had to chase her down and carry her back.

We both got a huge kick out of how determined she was to get back to the slide, but it also made us realize that we've got an adventurous little girl on our hands, and we're going to have to work pretty hard to balance letting her explore and play without completely losing track of her.
aggielostinETX
AG
As a parent, we have all lost a child some point, even if only for 1 minute.
It's terrifying but reminds you to stay grounded and focus on what's important.

Hell, I got lost a parade when I was 4 in Downtown Dallas.
A cop put me on his shoulders until he got a radio call from others who were looking for me.
No harm, no foul.
NoahAg
It's certainly a gut-wrenching feeling. Fortunately, the vast majority of the time stories like this have a happy ending. But with today's news outlets we are all used to seeing the tragic stories.

I wonder if my parents ever panicked when we disappeared for hours at a time. Or maybe they didn't care.
Todd 02
AG
FatZilla said:

If opening doors is regular, get some screen doors installed or a chi;d gate to put up in the front. Should help prevent this and keep bugs out if you go the screen door route.
We're in temporary accommodations right now while we're waiting for our new house to be built. The lesson is no more open front door. We'll have lived in this house for two years come autumn and probably prop the front and back doors open 1-3 times a week to air out the house and save a little on A/C costs. She's never gone in the front yard without asking, let alone left the property.

Quote:

Quote:

the police on scene wasted no time conducting their investigation and questioning our ability to care for and protect our children. In the end it was just a learning experience with no real consequences.
Thank goodness that cop used some discretion and didn't decide CPS needed to visit - that could've turned into a total nightmare.
I don't want to turn this into an argument about the police. They have a job to do and I respect that. However, I will clarify that the police interaction wasn't without some tension and confusion. Because there's always more to the story...

It was pretty plain to see she's mine the way she ran to me. Additionally, the neighbors said she told them her full name and our names. Two officers arrived. Upon request, I gave my name, DOB, address, and phone number to one. I also asked for his card. He looked at me like I had no business having his information, then pointed to his name tag and said "here it is". I politely said "you have my information, I'd like to have yours so that I have a record of who I spoke with."

The other officer interrupted and asked for my ID. I asked why he wanted it and things got a little tense for a while. I explained that I did not have my DL on me and that I had walked over. He asked for my DL number and I politely asked why he needed it as I had already provided my information to the other officer.

(Here's the part where I'll lose some of you. Why in the hell wouldn't I just give over my license number, even if I'm not legally required by the situation to do so? I've got nothing to hide. I dunno. I was coming down from an adrenaline rush of having lost my second born child. In the instant that it happened, I just didn't make sense of why they needed it. As I said, it was pretty plain to see she was mine by the way she ran to me and hugged me and wouldn't let go. All I wanted to do was go back home so we could celebrate the fact that she was safe and nothing bad happened. Them asking for my ID made me worry that they wanted to make this criminal. I knew I was within my legal right to refuse, so I did.)

I never felt threatened and they never tried to remove my daughter from her death grip around my neck. I was told not to be defensive and that they just wanted to make sure they were giving the child to the right person. I explained that I understood and appreciated that. They then started asking how long before I knew she was missing, were there other children in the house, what were their names and ages, how many were related to me, who else was present, etc. The officer that requested my ID explained that his supervisor instructed him to do so. So I asked to speak with the supervisor.

They followed us to my house, indicated that there was nothing further from a criminal nature, and asked for some reassurance that this was an accident and wouldn't happen again before bidding us farewell.

The supervisor showed up and asked about my issue of not providing identification. I said there was no issue. I did provide my identification and was truthful, but that I didn't see how my DL was relevant. I got the same story about making sure that the child went to the right person. I confirmed that no report was filed and no case was opened before we shook hands and he wished us well.

I suspect that they wanted to run me or the wife for warrants or restraining orders, which I'm sure they can do with my name and DOB. I suppose they just wanted my DL to put a picture with the name. They never asked for any kind of identification for my daughter, other than name and DOB. I could obviously produce a birth certificate, but I was leery of that given that I keep them in our gun safe. I certainly didn't want to have to open that in their presence...too many itchy trigger fingers.

In the end, it was an overall good interaction. I got to keep my daughter. We are not even close to being neglectful parents and it was simply an accident (one I am NOT proud of!).

There... Now y'all can Monday morning quarterback the police stuff all you want.

I just realized that was a LONG reply, so I'll add:

TL;DR - I was polite during the interaction with the police while they asked A LOT of questions that I really didn't want to deal with to rule out neglect and everything ended fine.
aggielostinETX
AG
You did nothing wrong.
JAW3336
AG
That adrenaline rush can really make things go differently than you would imagine.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Lo-Jack the daughter. You'll be happy you did when she's a teen.
Hoss
AG
My oldest son got lost twice in his younger days. The first time he was three and we were at Disney watching some sort of show attraction that involved cars driving around this paved area at high rates of speed doing stunts and stuff (this was 11 years ago...no idea what it was called or even if it's still there). We were in the stadium seating there, which was open in the middle so the cars could drive through it as part of the show. The restrooms were beneath the stadium, and to get to them you walked along walkways near the track in the middle. It was my wife and I and our son and her parents. At one point we all took a restroom break. In one of those cases where we all thought one of the others had the three year old, we all arrived back at our seats to discover he wasn't with any of us. We started searching and quickly found him ON THE TRACK beneath the stadium. Luckily none of those cars coming flying through there. I don't remember the exact setup, but I remember thinking there should've been a better barrier and complained to event staff there. Not sure if they changed it. He couldn't have been gone more than 5 minutes but it seemed like forever.

Another time my wife and in-laws took the kids to the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. Not sure why I wasn't there, but she called me saying he was lost. They all split up and notified police, who got the word out very quickly. After about 10 minutes they found him. Some really nice mom saw him walking around crying and picked him up and took him to the nearest HLS&R worker. About that same time my wife walked up and claimed him.

I'm not one to panic at all, but when your kid is missing it gives you a sense of fear that I don't believe you can get from anything else.
ursusguy
AG
So glad it worked out for you.

FullDraw
AG
THIS, is what keeps a Daddy up at night, more than bears, lions, sharks, cottonmouths and even bad guy dreams.
dubi
AG
We lost Dubi son #1 multiple times at Astroworld and at Moody Gardens in Galveston. It happens even to vigilant parents.

The parents who don't lose their kids are sitting on the sofa looking at their iphones.
OasisMan
AG
Hoss said:

I'm not one to panic at all, but when your kid is missing it gives you a sense of fear that I don't believe you can get from anything else.
whew ain't that the truth
schmellba99
AG
dlance said:

Glad she was okay!

Way to jump to a conclusion, hope you fell better about yourself I suppose.

I would only go on a rant if the police were to become inappropriate in this situation, but it does not appear that they did, so nothing to really rant about. They asked a few questions, that is their job. CPS was not called. Todd's kiddo was safe and he has a story to tell - good ending IMO.
Mr. Dubi
Once we were at the Houston Boat show I our two sons 3 and 5 yo at the time and another 5 yo boy. We were climbing in and out of the fish and ski boats amongst the piers built up around the boats.

When I was ready to leave, I couldn't find the 3 yo. The guest kid was staring down from the pier at the sterns of the boats. I to,d him we lost the little one and was kind of panicked. The other kid didn't move or act, he just kept staring down. I went over to see what his fascination was-- the little one had stepped between the boat and pier and fell down to the ground beneath. He landed on his feet and was unharmed, but a little shaken up.
Burrus86
AG
Glad she is safe, OP.
spud1910
AG
Glad all worked out ok. And it does happen a lot. In the 1960's my mom and my aunt were shelling peas and noticed my little sister and cousin (probably 2 or 3) weren't around. They found them a few minutes later riding their tricycles down the pretty yellow lines. On the Farm to Market road a couple hundred yards from the house.
Bregxit
AG
schmellba99 said:

dlance said:

Glad she was okay!

I would only go on a rant if the police were to become inappropriate in this situation, but it does not appear that they did, so nothing to really rant about. They asked a few questions, that is their job. CPS was not called. Todd's kiddo was safe and he has a story to tell - good ending IMO.
C'mon man. Just pokin' at you.
bigtruckguy3500
I opened and walked out the front door when I was around 3, took another 3 year old friend with me. Mom says I couldn't have been gone more than 2 minutes before she realized it, and came looking, but I was already on another street. Luckily a neighbor going for a walk held onto us and just waited there till my mom got to me. I'll remember that for when I have kids one day.
AggieChemist
AG
When I was six years old, I decided I'd go for a drive. I left the house, got in mom's 78 Toyota Corona, popped the parking break off and was off to the races backwards down the driveway. Ended up in the front yard of the house across the street. We all had a good laugh that no one/nothing was hurt and then I got my ass whipped.

I lost my son for almost 20 minutes a few years ago at a fair. He was four at the time and we were waiting for the fire truck parade to start in a little while. Mommy and Granny went off to shop in one of the craft barns, and the boy and I were hanging out on the midway. I saw a buddy from town, and we walked over and started chatting. I dropped my son's hand while we were talking for probably 30 seconds, and then looked down for him. I couldn't see him. I made a 360 scanning for the little scamp to see where he'd headed, and I couldn't see him anywhere. Another more careful 360, then a 720, then my heart started to race. There were hundreds of people, maybe a thousand within 200 yards. I started jogging expanding 360 circles around where I'd lost him. One, two, three, now I was covering 50-100 yards around where I'd last seen him. I stopped and called my wife's cell and told her to come running, that I'd lost the kid. That's not a phone call you want to make. Then I stopped running and just started going to places that I thought he'd have headed. Hog barn? Nope. Midway fishbowl games? Nope. Finally, it dawned on me that he was excited for the fire truck parade, and maybe he was there. I trotted up to the street where people were lining up for the parade and started walking up the street. There he was, 30 yards away, sitting just as nice as you please next to a grandmotherly lady and chowing down on a bag of popcorn. She could tell by the expression on my face that I was his dad and she started laughing. She said he'd just walked up and sat down and started chatting her up about the parade. She asked him where his mommy and daddy were and he replied "over there". She told me she was pretty sure he was too small to be running around by himself and that she had vowed not to let him out of her sight until she found either mommy and daddy or a police officer. She'd given him her bag of popcorn and he'd just settled in for the parade. She refused to let me buy her another bag of popcorn. I was thankful that he ran into good folks. Most folks are, but you are always afraid of the ones that aren't.
AggieChemist
AG
dlance said:

schmellba99 said:

dlance said:

Glad she was okay!

C'mon man. Just pokin' at you.
There are three things that are certain in life:
  • death
  • taxes
  • schmellba99 will take up a position on an issue each day and author a longwinded self-righteous manifesto on the subject
BrazosDog02
AG
"Go check on the kids. They aren't fighting and it's quiet...something's wrong"

A phrase muttered often around my house. Lol.

Glad the kid is safe.
schmellba99
AG
Like many others, I've learned the hard way at how fast the little heatherns can disappear on you. I was doing some odds and ends in the garage and around the house one day a few years back and the kiddos were out in the driveway playing with their sidewalk chalk and on scooters and what not. My wife told me to keep an eye on them, I did the normal "I got this, no need to mother hen over me on everything with the kiddos" speech and response.

Apparently, I did not have this. I can only guess it was but a couple of minutes, but I noticed it was too quiet. Kids were not on the driveway by the house anymore. Look around, nothing. Holy hell, not good. Started casually wandering so as not to draw attention from my wife. Look out front and see a bit of blonde hair bobbing in the ditch next to the road. How in the hell did they get all the way out there? Oldest was in the ditch on my side of the road...youngest had made it across the street and was in the pasture on the other side of the road. Wife discovered this about the same time I got out there. I was lectured about letting them wander. Thought it would end there until the oldest ratted me out when she told mommy how little sister had walked across the street.

Poo hit the fan. Lesson learned. Luckily the street is not well traveled and there was no traffic. Still, I was puckered pretty good for a while. Probably no more than 5 minutes start to finish, but felt like several hours at the time.
Kenneth_2003
AG
OasisMan said:

Hoss said:

whew ain't that the truth
Lose your friends kid... hasn't happened, but the thought terrifies me
Been laid off since January, so a good friend of mine has leaned on me a couple times. I know her girls well. We kinda dated a few years ago when she was in a tough spot. It didn't work out, but we're great friends now, and she's married to a great guy. Money though for them is tight. Need me to sit with the sick flu-ridden kid so y'all can go to work? Sure! Doors are closed, she sleeps and watches movies all day.

Need me to to pick them up from the bus stops and entertain them for a couple hours? Sure no problem. "Dear heavenly father, please don't let me screw this up!"

OP glad it all worked out.
ursusguy
AG
Drives my wife bonkers (and son), but each year I buy my son the most overly obvious blaze orange shirt I can find. If we are going to a crowded location, he wears that shirt. It helps a lot....I have a knack for finding shirts that flat out glow in photos (why my wife doesn't like).

I volunteered too many times on situations like this that did not turn out well. Especially in the "I live in the country variety".

Stay safe out there.
Todd 02
AG
Man, I just can't kick the Bad Dad guilt...

Dropping the kids off at daycare this morning, my son decides to tell the mother of one of his classmates, who's husband happens to be a police officer, that his "sister ran away from home this weekend and the police got called and it was ALL my Mommy and Daddy's fault."

Gee thanks, kid!

So then we got a lecture about how we need to be happy that sister is safe and not tell other people about our personal things. Mommy and Daddy are not proud of what happened and other people don't need to know.

Kids say the darnedest things, I guess...

We've talked a lot the last few days about not crossing the street, not opening the doors, not leaving the yard, only playing in the backyard, watch out for your sister, etc. to both kids. I know it's topical and the memory will fade, for them, at least.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.