Outdoors
Sponsored by

Philmont is outdoors

3,642 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
Danno93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The troop go selected for summer 2018, we told him if they got picked again, he could go (youngest will still be too young). Deposit paid so he's in. Need to know what to put on the upcoming Christmas and Birthday lists. Backpack, boots and trekking poles are a given. I'm looking for the "would be cool to have this type" stuff.
Windy City Ag
AG
I mostly deride hiking tech, but I have come to admire the ever lighter folding chairs.

Helinox folding chairs are pretty cool. REI sells a "trail stool" that is pretty cool as well.
ursusguy
AG
Congratulations. It's that time of year that the former Philmont staffers start feeling depressed, and trying to figure out if there is a way they can finagle a trip out there. I'm contemplating a PTC course in August.

There are a couple former Rangers that post. I'll wait for them to comment before I say much about equipment. I'm about 14 years removed from thinking about equipment, and there have been quite a few improvements....sleeping pads in particular. Most of my Philmont gear has been retired in the last 2-3 years (most of it held up pretty decent since 2003).
Ulrich
In my day, we threw a Dutch oven into a burlap sack and brought our own rocks to sleep on. Oh, and don't forget iodine for the water.
elnaco
AG
Did Philmont twice. It's an incredibly rare opportunity to backpack in some absolutely beautiful back country and I hope your kid understands that bc Lord knows I didn't until I got a little older.

You listed backpack and boots. It's a personal preference of mine but I like external frame packs. It's easier to access stuff and isn't as hot as an internal frame. They also feel more balanced than internal framed packs to me. Again that's just preference but either way get plenty of caribiners and web straps so he can strap things to the pack. As for boots, this is an item that you want to splurge on. Your son will be spending the majority of the time on his feet, going over rocky trails, through streams, etc so don't skimp here. Gore-Tex is the preferred option. I did two Philmont treks in the early 2000s, countless training trips and other backpacking trips on one pair of Vasque boots that I still wear to this day. I couldn't even try to guess the miles I've logged on those boots and to this day they still remain some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. A final note on the backpack and boots. Assuming your son is done growing, get the pack and boots for him this summer and have him train in them to break them in. Don't show up to Philmont with new and unproven gear.

Quality BREATHABLE rain gear. Doesn't have to be gore-tex but of course that stuff is nice. Again don't skimp on this. You can experience almost all of the seasons in a day at Philmont and being wet when a rain hits and drops the temp 20 degrees isn't comfortable.

Quality socks. Again he's going to be on his feet a lot. Get him some high quality merino wool or synthetic blend socks from smart wool or other trusted companies. PVC liner socks to wear with them used to be the thing and with today's technology they might not be needed anymore but I still use them. I'd have your son at least try them and see if it helps or hurts.

Quality moisture wicking breathable clothes. Say no to cotton. Again merino wool is great for this bc it's also anti-microbial. He'll also want to bring a synthetic beanie and jacket.

Quality sleeping bag. Something lightweight and packable. Down fill is necessary for Philmont in the summer. My go to was always the North Face Cat's meow. Along these lines a quality lightweight sleeping pad. I always rocked the super light egg crate thermarest one but if he wants more comfort they make some pretty light inflatable ones.

Headlamp. Get a good one that is at least IP67 rated. LED headlamps have gotten a lot cheaper over the years.

Water purifier and iodine tablets. He'll have to purify water out there so get something easy to use and reliable.

Good camp stove and easy to clean and pack pot, pan and dish set. A small white gas stove that he can easily learn to use with some spare parts is essential but you only need 1 between 2 guys. One of the biggest PITA things to do in the backcountry is clean dishes so make sure whatever camp set you buy has some kind of non stick coating.

A cool gift might be a nice compass. In the age of cell phone GPS's being able to read a map and use a compass is not a valued skill but it's one he'll need for the backcountry.

Without saying a quality lightweight tent is essential but again may not be necessary if his tentmate has a good one.

As for "cool stuff" to have. You don't really bring much "cool stuff" bc if you bring it, you have to carry it so if it isn't essential or really compact and lightweight, you don't bring it. But here's a few ideas for that kind of stuff I guess. Whittling a good stick is always a great time killer so maybe get a nice pocket knife for your kid. he'll need one for lots of various things as well. We also played hacky sack a lot, haven't played since but we did it a bunch to pass the time. So a hacky sack. Cards are another good time killer but would probably make a pretty crappy gift. I brought some hooks and thread with me one year and found feathers and tied flies and hand lined little brook trout in some of the small streams we'd camp by.

Aside from all of that I can't stress enough that your son put his boots and pack on and walk with them on for the next year on all sorts of terrain but especially inclines and declines. The more comfortable he is with his gear, the more he'll be able to enjoy the experience.
Ulrich
Seriously though: I feel like trekking poles are just another thing to carry for a teenager. The trails are pretty broad and smooth, relatively speaking.

Most of my stuff was ancient hand-me-downs so who knows what they use nowadays, but the things I particularly remember being worth their weight are: a light sleeping bag, a thin 3/4 length sleeping pad, at least 1 gallon of water storage, synthetic clothes with one change, a solid hat, and most of all good socks and boots and training.
ccard257
AG
Former ranger here. Just did a reunion trek in February.

I'm just going to add my thoughts to elnaco's post because it was so well organized and covered the big items. my comments in bold.

You listed backpack and boots. It's a personal preference of mine but I like external frame packs. Disagree. Again that's just preference but either way get plenty of caribiners and web straps so he can strap things to the pack. You should have very few if any items strapped on the outside of your pack. drying wet clothes is the most common thing I had and you can just shove those under any strap you can find on the pack. I can't think of the last time I had to use a strap that wasn't permanently attached to my pack and that's using all manner of bulky skis, climbing gear, fishing rods, etc. that you won't have at philmont. As for boots, this is an item that you want to splurge on. Your son will be spending the majority of the time on his feet, going over rocky trails, through streams, etc so don't skimp here. Gore-Tex is the preferred option. I did two Philmont treks in the early 2000s, countless training trips and other backpacking trips on one pair of Vasque boots that I still wear to this day. I couldn't even try to guess the miles I've logged on those boots and to this day they still remain some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. A final note on the backpack and boots. We've had this debate on here a dozen times so do a search if you want more but If I went to philmont tomorrow I'd be wearing trail runners not boots. YMMV. That said i did put a ton of miles on some vasque sundowners before I saw the light. They're still great boots when I feel the need for them. Assuming your son is done growing, get the pack and boots for him this summer and have him train in them to break them in. Don't show up to Philmont with new and unproven gear. x1000

Quality BREATHABLE rain gear. Doesn't have to be gore-tex but of course that stuff is nice. Again don't skimp on this. I only carried rain pants in the early part of the summer when I wanted them for warmth. Your ranger will probably recommend them.

Quality socks. Again he's going to be on his feet a lot. Get him some high quality merino wool or synthetic blend socks from smart wool or other trusted companies. PVC liner socks to wear with them used to be the thing and with today's technology they might not be needed anymore but I still use them. I'd have your son at least try them and see if it helps or hurts. agree, I like smartwool. Agree that Liners are something to figure out as you train. I use them in my backcountry ski boots but don't need them anywhere else. In that one pair of boots, my feet get absolutely shredded if I don't use them.

Quality moisture wicking breathable clothes. Say no to cotton. Again merino wool is great for this bc it's also anti-microbial. He'll also want to bring a synthetic beanie and jacket.

Quality sleeping bag. Something lightweight and packable. Down fill is necessary for Philmont in the summer. down fill is not necessary and philmont discourages it. That said, I vastly prefer down to synthetic and would recommend it if you can afford it. just keep it dry.

Along these lines a quality lightweight sleeping pad. I always rocked the super light egg crate thermarest one but if he wants more comfort they make some pretty light inflatable ones. the new generation of super thick inflatable pads is incredible. I have a big agness air core and can finally sleep comfortably on my side. It might be my favorite gear purchase in the last 10 years.

Headlamp. Get a good one that is at least IP67 rated. LED headlamps have gotten a lot cheaper over the years. anything from a major manufacturer will be fine. I really never used mine much out there. I tend to like black diamond more than petzel across similar models.

Water purifier and iodine tablets. He'll have to purify water out there so get something easy to use and reliable. Iodine tablets are not really used out there anymore. The crew/troop may have a couple filters that they are taking, he probably doesn't need his own unless you want to get it for other trips. Philmont now issues chlorine dioxide tablets for water purification that I really like. Small, light, no taste, easy to use.

Good camp stove and easy to clean and pack pot, pan and dish set. A small white gas stove that he can easily learn to use with some spare parts is essential but you only need 1 between 2 guys. One of the biggest PITA things to do in the backcountry is clean dishes so make sure whatever camp set you buy has some kind of non stick coating. These are typically crew items so you probably don't need to buy them for your son unless he wants to have them for future use. Most crews bring 2-3 stoves and you typically use one or two giant pots for the whole crew. Philmont can issue these as well. he will need to bring a bowl/spoon as a personal eating set. I like cheap lexan for this task.

Without saying a quality lightweight tent is essential but again may not be necessary if his tentmate has a good one. I always brought my own but if you don't want to drop the money you don't need to. I got to see the new philmont issued tents recently. Made by MSR. Not the lightest but they've come a long way.

As for "cool stuff" to have. You don't really bring much "cool stuff" bc if you bring it, you have to carry it so if it isn't essential or really compact and lightweight, you don't bring it.agreed. Had an adviser bring a ham radio once. Complete with 10' antenna. He packed it in a fly rod tube so I didn't realize what it was during shakedown. Don't do that.

elnaco
AG
My bad that line about sleeping bags being down was meant say down is NOT necessary for Philmont. The cat's meow uses a synthetic fill. Not sure if it comes in a down fill.

A lot of the stuff I posted is preference and probably outdated. I may need to get with the times on some of my gear.

That's a really interesting not about the trail runners. I may have to get up to date with those.
killbutchereat
I'll add on in the what NOT to bring category. Always have a thorough shakedown before departing.

We had a kid sneak a gameboy, cd player, and assorted accessories in on my second trek. It probably weighed 10 lbs and he might have been 130 soaking wet. We didn't know why he was being so slow until about 5 days in an adult got injured and was leaving the trail. This gave us an opportunity to send back gear that wasn't needed/weighing people down. Once this kid dropped the giant bag of electronics he could easily keep up with the crew.

Treks '03, '04; Staff '05
ccard257
AG
elnaco said:

That's a really interesting not about the trail runners. I may have to get up to date with those.

When I did rayado as a participant one of my rangers did the entire 3 week hike in rainbow flip flops. After seeing that I bought trail runners at the trading post on the way home. Now my boots only come out for cold/wet
highvelocity
AG
eagle scout here:

i used dehydrated food on any back packing camp out i went on.

a couple key things to remember, the heaviest object in a pack will be water. if there are ways to purify water along the route, utilize those methods and pack as little water as possible. or pair up with another scout and have them pack water and you pack supplies, etc.

and dont be one of those parents that sends your kid with a dozen unopened cans of beans or whatever other food. i saw this a few times where scouts would be exhausted in 20 minutes of the hike and i opened up their pack to find 100 pounds worth of canned goods lol

hope he has a good time!
BoozerRed78
AG
OK, I gotta share my experience, having read all this, and what gear is available now. I went to Philmont in 1970. Parents were divorced, we had very little money, so not much to spend on gear.
* My boots were a cheap pair of lace up work boots purchased at my local department store. About halfway thru the trek, the sole of the right boot started separating. By the end, it was flapping around so badly, I had to raise my leg significantly to keep it from catching on the ground, then slap it down - every step.
* My hat was a souvenir from the Houston Zoo - a straw fedora looking thing, with no lining. I had to cut the back off, because my backpack would rub against it.
* My sleeping bag was a Korean war era relic that my dad had stolen from the Army. It consisted of a wool blanket sewn in the shape of a mummy bag with a zipper. Over that was a thin cotton liner. We were told it would be cool at night, so I took a set of long underwear to sleep in. It didn't work - I froze my ass off every night.
* If they had invented sleeping pads in 1970, we didn't know about it. All we had was a plastic ground cloth.
* My backpack was a BSA-issued rig made of canvas, that I borrowed from my cousin. It had an aluminum frame. Probably the only decent thing I took on that trek.
* We were told to bring ponchos for rain gear, so they would cover our packs when it rained. Worked fairly well.
* There were no training hikes, etc. My first time to hump that ruck was our first day on the trail. And being from the Gulf Coast, where the closest thing to a hill I'd seen was an overpass in Houston, it was somewhat of a shock.
* Our leader had a set regimen - up at 5:30, cook breakfast, pack up and get on the trail. One morning we awoke to very cold rain and hail. Probably dime-sized, all over the ground. He was outside yelling for us to get up, and no one would get out of bed. Finally, he yelled, "I'm leaving, see ya'll at the next camp". And he left. Once we all finally got up, "just us boys" went to where we thought the next camp was, and he wasn't there. It was an un-manned camp, so we sent two guys ahead to a manned camp to get help. They found him on the mountain above us. He was up top, we were down below. He'd probably go to jail for doing that these days.

And with all that, I'll just say that Philmont was one of the greatest adventures I've ever had. I guess I can be thankful that, at the time, I was too young and too ignorant to understand how rough it was, and how ill-prepared I was. But we got our 50 Miler, climbed Baldy, and climbed the Tooth of Time the last morning. And we all still talk about it to this day.

All the advice above is solid, IMO. The one thing I'd say to really consider is the comment about using trail runners vs heavy hiking boots. Go light, and go quality.

ccard257
AG
Where did you work in 05?
JPTC08
AG
Philmont Packing List

The link points to Philmonts official packing list.

Things I would omit from personal list:
Daypack
Lashing straps
Small Stuff Sacks
Ditty Bags ( use the ziplocks)
Liner Socks (if you go with trail runners or lightweight mesh hiking boots)
Pocket Knife (can/should be crew item. you're not going to 12-14 knives for the entire crew)
Matches/Lighters (can/should be crew item. you're not going to 12-14 matches/lighters for the entire crew)
Map (can/should be crew item. you're not going to 12-14 maps for the entire crew)
Compass (can/should be crew item. you're not going to 12-14 compasses for the entire crew)

Things I would possibly omit from personal list:
Trekking Poles (50/50 on these depending on $$$ and pre-existing knee issues. I recommend using two for your dining fly from someone in the crew to use instead of the poles they provide)
Soap
Watch
Whistle
Postcards
Notepad

Philmont '00, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

They found him on the mountain above us. He was up top, we were down below. He'd probably go to jail for doing that these days.

LOL. That reminds me of the White Water Summer movie scene where Kevin Bacon left the kid swinging in the air off a cliff because the boy was too scared to climb to safety.
killbutchereat
Activities Staff
ursusguy
AG
Keep in mind I have a slightly different perspective, I was the bear guy (literally) for 4 summers. So my thoughts are bear safety related, and though I had a known reputation for avoiding hauling Charlie Alphas, I did occasionally get roped into the matter (I had specific permission to drive without maintaining a radio presence, fairly unusual, but I would pop in if there was a legit emergency or I wad headed directly to Base anyway). I also slept EVERY NIGHT with a radio, so I got to listen to ALL the Health Lodge cases.

*If you are looking at bringing a personal tent, if you have EVER eaten or had food in the tent, I recommend not using it at Philmont.
*DO NOT skimp on anything related to hygiene. Once a bout of Philcrud starts, it will typically run through about a 1/3 of the camp. Soap and hand sanitizer are your friends. We can debate it later, but on top of Phillips is a terrible time to share the sh----s with everyone.
*The new gravity driven water filters are pretty cool, and fast.
*Make damn certain you update yourself on water conditions before deciding to skimp on water. It's not usually a big issue, but there are sections of the ranch in July that will make you think you are briefly in Texas. On multiple occasions I had to haul water to a crew or individuals going from Dean Cow to Harlan via Turkey Creek Canyon that screwed themselves.
*I'm a boot guy, but that's just me. I'd probably look pretty longingly at a low ankle boot these days.
*Your rain gear is an interesting twist. Keep in mind, chances are you are eventually going to get wet one way or the other. On my treks, I couldn't afford Gore Tex, and had a HEAVY duty, double layer PVC poncho (dad was a late 60's Ranger). We had an incident that lead to most of our crew having hypothermia (one on edge between moderate and severe), they all had fancy Gore Tex jackets. I was the ONLY youth to not have hypothermia, and had the cheap poncho. Cinched down, it retained heat, almost too much.
*Be leery on insulation. Rangers are all over the place. Some will say if you have a Gore Tex jacket you are good to go, and don't need an in insulated layer. I run a high metabolism and it takes a lot to get me cold (though it is catching up to me), I carry my rain jacket and a very thin fleece pullover and all is good. But I have worked through crew incidents where it started hailing, and raining on Phillips, the sun never came out, and everyone in the crew's rain gear eventually soaked through. Even the adults couldn't get their stoves going. No one had ANY fleece or synthetic thermal top.
Stewball98
AG
This is all helpful! We're still prepping for our (rapidly) approaching trip in June. It's pretty difficult figuring out what is truly essential and where to spend the money.
Danno93
Thanks all. There is much reading in my and my son's future. Keep it coming
Ursus- Thanks for saving me the email direct for advice.
ursusguy
AG
Gold Bold....It's something to see someone bleeding from chafing or swampa--, I have seen both. Yes, I have seen someone pulled from the trail due to a major case of swampa--.

*More of a leader, non equipment issue---if you have someone that you suspect or know is on mood altering medications, make dang certain that they actually have them. Several times per summer there are incidents where little Jonny is on anti psychotic medication, the parents decide to take them off for 2 weeks, and it's not even listed in the medications on the physical. Come day 4-7, Little Jonny is completely off their rocker. "Oh, we thought it would be like wilderness therapy"---seriously not kidding, we got that as an excuse.
Tx Ag72
I forwarded this thread to my daughter. My grandson is going this summer. This will probably cost me.
tkusak
AG
Get the best boots money can buy! I used my boots for two years after my trip. Good socks, light T shirts, and the pants that unzip to become shorts were my favorite hiking clothes since the mornings are still pretty cool, and afternoons can get warm. A good pair of sunglasses, and a light rain coat. You don't need anything too great here, and to be honest you'll appreciate the shower since you will only have a couple on the 13 day hike. only need to cover your pack.
Pro Sandy
AG
Ranger here.

I recommend old scout uniforms, external packs, and just a blanket for a sleeping bag. At least 20 lbs of books in essential. Only the weak use belt straps.

ursusguy
Agmechanic
AG
What about the most essential, necessary item for backpacking EVER.

A BOTTLE OF YOUR FAVORITE PEPPER SAUCE. i enjoy the sirracha cock sauce personally.
Caliber
AG
Agmechanic said:

What about the most essential, necessary item for backpacking EVER.

A BOTTLE OF YOUR FAVORITE PEPPER SAUCE. i enjoy the sirracha cock sauce personally.

Cholula is a far superior all around hot sauce.
CT'97
AG
Make sure the boots and backpack are fitted to who ever they are bought for and worn several times before the trip.
More than once I have seen scouts show up with the new backpack/boots that grandma and grandpa bought them and they don't fit right and the first time they put them on was right before we left for the trip.

Your feet are your way out in most situations so take care of them. Quality socks and boots/trailrunners that fit and are broken in. Even modern boots with soft uppers will need to be formed to your foot. It's much easier to do with modern boots/trailrunners but it still needs to be done. Put some miles on new footwear and socks before the trip.

As for nice to haves, I would say the head lamp and a small lightweight multitool. You don't need the Leatherman mega tool but the smaller tools make a lot of repairs and whatnot easier in the back country. They also all have a blade so that's your pocket knife as well. My favorite is still my army issue poncho liner. Lightweight, easy to stuff in just about any nook and great to pull out for a ground cover to sit on or to stretch out for some instant shade where there isn't any and it can provide an extra bit of insulation on a cold night.

I'm a sirracha guy, but cholula isn't far behind. being able to make any poorly cooked meal edible can be pretty important.
ursusguy
AG
To one of my points earlier. Last night I was helping a local unit with last minute training. They are leaving in two weeks. Looking at their tents, 2 out of 5 had food stains in them. I could still figure out that it was Fruit Punch Gatorade and hot chocolate.

Also, make dang certain they know to have separate day and sleeping clothes. People laugh at this one some times, and choose to ignore this policy. This was a major contributors to one of the worst attacks I dealt with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.