Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mowing the grass is outdoors

24,293 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cheeky
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We came home last night from a weekend in Disneyland to this note taped to our front door.

For the last two years when I mow our grass I mow about a 1' on my neighbors side with my zero turn along our property line. My house is right up on the property line and theirs is a really long way away from it. I figure they wouldn't care and I don't mind making an extra pass. Keep in mind we don't live in Highland Park, we are talking northeast Texas. We both have really big front yards. Heck, if they mowed on my side I'd be more than happy.

Anyways, I just thought this note was a little harsh. They could have easily said "Do you mind mowing along the property line? We just want to keep our grass even. Blah blah blah" My wife thought I should go talk to them but I figure you can't reason with people who get so worked over something so petty.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Some people are finicky about random stuff. Just best to leave well enough alone.
aggielostinETX
AG
Passive aggressive notes, with bubble lettering....

That note screams to me that she told her husband to talk you about it, and he said "no" or "Why?", so she really "manned up" and wrote you an unsigned note.

Surprised you didn't get an angry text, honestly.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I felt like writing them a really apologetic note and reminding them that I didn't complain once when they parked their massive fifth wheel in the street for what seemed like 6 months. However I guess that's just stooping to her level.
03_Aggie
You should respond back in kind. Random capitalization and punctuation included.
DevilD77
AG
That was definitely an over reaction. A little neighborly conversation could have handled it with no ill feelings. My neighbor basically scalps his lawn every time he mows. I set my mower as high as it can go so I have a better looking and healthier lawn. I asked him not to mow past the property line and explained why to him and he had no problem with it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
For sure. If they would have talked to me I wouldn't have cared at all. No big deal to me. I figured they didn't mind me mowing a little strip so far from their house.
redass1876
AG
Looks like it is written by a 14 year old girl. Random words capitalized.
aggielostinETX
AG
Honestly, you should just tear down your fence to show them.
spud1910
AG
You're welcome to come mow on my property. I'll provide the mower, weedeater, leaf blower and fuel. Heck, I have a tractor and bush hog too if that is not enough.
powerbelly
AG
I'm not sure why you think it is okay to mow part of their yard.
Mose Schrute
AG
A passive aggressive note about an issue they were too weird about to bring up to you in person is one thing, but the explaining of a property line to you like a first grader would piss me off. Holy crap.
Tursiops93
AG
Cut "I'm Sorry" in their grass the next time.
rlb28
AG
Amazing. Our world is becoming so impersonal.
redass1876
AG
powerbelly51 said:

They have every right to disagree, just a childish way to go about it

I mow probably a 1' swath of my neighbors yard too because my mower is wider than my property line right between our houses. If he asked me to stop I would but until then i will keep hitting it
Cromagnum
AG
Random bottle of round up needs to get spilled in the middle of their yard.
TexasAggie_02
AG
find some disney princess stationary and write "let it go"
raidernarizona
Two words!

Chicken Sh*t!!!!
PrestigeWW
AG
Deats said:

Passive aggressive notes, with bubble lettering....

That note screams to me that she told her husband to talk you about it, and he said "no" or "Why?", so she really "manned up" and wrote you an unsigned note.

Surprised you didn't get an angry text, honestly.
It screams uneducated and stupid. Dangerous combination.
highvelocity
AG
step 1: go to store and buy a few bottles of vinegar
step 2: write obscenity or however youd like to respond in their yard with vinegar you just purchased.
step 3: wait a couple days for grass to die
step 4: video neighbors reaction to noticing the results in the grass
step 5: post to OB

thanks!
OasisMan
AG
I always thought it was common practice to overlap by ~<1" ...
nealan
All the underlining!!! I just can't !! Hilarious! yeah, they (she) sound like idiots..
PrestigeWW
AG
powerbelly51 said:

I'm not sure if you're serious. If so, you're an idiot.
IDAGG
AG
I like the underlining for emphasis. My bet is they think you are some sinister legal genius and are plotting on taking a one foot strip of their property via adverse possession by mowing that 1 foot strip for the next 15 years.

Then again maybe they are just upset Mama June lost weight and they have lost their sense of place.

Who knows.
powerbelly
AG
PrestigeWW said:

powerbelly51 said:

Why? The neighbor doesn't have the right to have his property unmolested?
AggieStout
AG
Wow. Your neighbor aint very neighborly. Didn't think it mattered that much to mow a little of the neighbors yard. Hell when I'm out of town for a while my neighbor will mow my entire yard. Even though he sometimes hits one of the sprinkler heads and then I have to replace them, I dont mind at all because he took time to make the gesture of a good neighbor.

I think they should be glad that you actually take care of your yard and don't just let grow.
PrestigeWW
AG
powerbelly51 said:

PrestigeWW said:

powerbelly51 said:

From the story it sounds like a really large yard. It doesn't sound like a very invasive issue. Maybe you're the difficult neighbor type we're laughing about.
airboatag
Not to hijack but while we are on the subject of mowing etiquette, what do you do when your neighbor wants to mow your strip of property on his side of your driveway? I generally prefer to mow what is mine and he can mow what is his. I mow every week in the summer and his lawn crew mows every two weeks.
powerbelly
AG
PrestigeWW said:

powerbelly51 said:

PrestigeWW said:

powerbelly51 said:

From the story it sounds like a really large yard. It doesn't sound like a very invasive issue. Maybe you're the difficult neighbor type we're laughing about
Maybe, I have asked my dumbass neighbor to not scalp a foot of my lawn when he mows once a month.

The note is childish, but expecting someone to respect property lines seems pretty straightforward.
RK
AG
just drop this off on their porch w/ an apology.

aggiedent
AG
Two things always puzzle me.

1. Why do some folks seem to enjoy finding things to hate in life? Even tiny trivial things.

2. One doesn't have to be best friends with one's neighbors, but why would anyone want to antagonize them? They'll just pull up a chair and eat popcorn when their neighbor's house is on fire.
B-1 83
AG
Two choices:
1. Mow 1' over on your side forcing them to mow the strip or risk that awful "uneven" look. OR
2. Spray a line of Roundup right down the property line
AggieStout
AG
aggiedent said:

Two things always puzzle me.

1. Why do some folks seem to enjoy finding things to hate in life? Even tiny trivial things.

2. One doesn't have to be best friends with one's neighbors, but why would anyone want to antagonize them? They'll just pull up a chair and eat popcorn when their neighbor's house is on fire.
#2 Yup and then he can let them know that he knows where the property line ends because of the pole and fence.

My neighbor has helped me out a couple of times when my faucet busted and shut the water off. I don't know why anyone would want to make enemies of your neighbor who could help you out big time one day.
jtp01
AG
Wow. I actually mow about 6' into my neighbors property to maintain a drainage ditch. It's just as easy to make 2 extra passes and the whole ditch is mowed between or driveways and looks much nicer than leaving it half cut.

Hell, the neighbor gave me a 30 pack of beer a few weeks ago for "gas". Some folks are way too uptight about stuff like this.
ProgN

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.