Outdoors
Sponsored by

Another security camera question

1,463 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MrJonMan
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a ring stick up cam on a whim to see if I liked it. It's set up and works fine but not sure if I want to keep it or not. I've got it powered by USB

Got a neighbor that just put up the Night Owl 8 camera system available at Costco right now. Comes with a dvr & cameras are 1080p. Also able to view on phone. $350

He seems to like it but wasn't sure if anyone has a long term experience with it?
Wodanaz
AG
Several of my neighbors have Night Owl & it seems to be popular on the NextDoor app. I'm in the market too, so I'd like to hear the pros & cons of other systems.
MrJonMan
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

Several of my neighbors have Night Owl & it seems to be popular on the NextDoor app. I'm in the market too, so I'd like to hear the pros & cons of other systems.

It's analog and not POE though
skelso
AG
I looked at some night owl options. But ended up going with a Lorex POE system. I bought it on sale and got an 8 port DVR with 6 external bullet cameras that have 2k resolution for about $800.

The system was easy to setup and works great. I set up motion detection zones and it alerts me to motion in those areas. The resolution of the cameras allows me to cover more ground with less cameras. It also allows me to zoom in on screen captures (like reading license plates...)

I did forget my password and had to call to have them remotely factory default the system. They were in no hurry to call back. Luckily I remembered the password before they called back so I had little down time.
MrJonMan
AG
The ring has a decent pic for being 720p

MrJonMan
AG
I think I'm taking myself out of the Ring. If I add 3 more, that's $720 for all 4. Then $120/yr for 30 days cloud storage.

Seems like there are more affordable options.
Enviroag02
AG
I just got the Doorbird, but havent installed it yet. It's hardwired POE, not cloud based, and can be integrated with Blue Iris (my security camera software). Will review it after a month of use at some point.
bluewave58
AG
I tried Ring Doorbell but found out you need an upload speed of 2 Gb, which I didn't have. It would work with < 1 Gb up but it was not dependable at that speed.

Neat when it worked!
MrJonMan
AG
I love the door bell and plan to keep it, just wanting to buy a different system for cameras around the rest of the house
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I'm really happy with the Arlo system I picked up at Costco last month. You get the base station, two cameras, and mounts for $250. I picked up a refurbished camera on Amazon for $100.
It's got free cloud storage and no monthly fee if you have 5 or less cameras. Also, it's totally wireless.
MrJonMan
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

I'm really happy with the Arlo system I picked up at Costco last month. You get the base station, two cameras, and mounts for $250. I picked up a refurbished camera on Amazon for $100.
It's got free cloud storage and no monthly fee if you have 5 or less cameras. Also, it's totally wireless.

I just don't want something that I have to recharge/replace batteries 2-3 times a year
FSGuide
I just installed 2 Arlo cameras this month. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Super simple to set up and use. I might add a couple more cameras to it. I like the record live feature. It also has a share feature for social media if you need to blast a criminals face around for people to see.
FSGuide
MrJonMan said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

I just don't want something that I have to recharge/replace batteries 2-3 times a year

I think I'd rather have the ability to move my cameras anywhere I want in just a few seconds. Can't do that with a hard wired camera.
MrJonMan
AG
FSGuide said:

MrJonMan said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

I think I'd rather have the ability to move my cameras anywhere I want in just a few seconds. Can't do that with a hard wired camera.

I agree, however with a 4-8 camera system, I find it unlikely that I'll need to move them much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.