Outdoors
Sponsored by

Upland birds question

3 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad and I are planning on going back to the area near Salmon, ID this fall to chase sage grouse, Hungarian partridge, quail, and whatever else my jump up and is legal at the time.

Anyone have any ideas on what to expect besides a sh;t load of walking and praying for a sage grouse?
Sean98
AG
Not sure entirely what you're asking. You said "again" so have you hunted there before? Are you asking about bird behaviors?

Idaho is great bird hunting but it varies WIDELY in habitat, species, situations. I've never been to Salmon, so I'm not sure what to expect there. In much of Idaho you can hunt sage/sharpies/quail/Huns on the floor, then get into ruffies, or chukar as you go higher. Obviously each bird likes a pretty different habitat. You'll get overlap between Huns and sharpies and between quail and Huns. For ruffies you need to get into the aspens. Chukar on open rocky/grassy hillsides.

Is there a reason you're headed to Salmon? SW Wyoming is sort of the epicenter of sage these days I think. Not that they aren't in Salmon, I just don't know that area.
OnlyForNow
AG
We went to this area two years ago to fly fish and saw a bunch of birds of multiple varieties. The sage grouse there are speical in that you can only shoot one per person per day.

My dad really wants to chase them, so I'm going along for the fun of it. His cousin that he gre up with has a nice spread where we will "base camp" from and Day hunt out of.

I'll post more details later
Sean98
AG
That's not very unusual on the bag limit for sage. Many states have a 2 day annual season, or operate through a lottery/draw. Wyoming and Montana have the most liberal bag limits in the country at 2 birds per day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.