Outdoors
Sponsored by

Smokey flavor on the BGE

2,934 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. McGibblets
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is your method for getting a good smokey flavor in your ceramic cookers?

I just bought a BGE XL and have been disappointed with the lack of smoke flavor. It cooks like a dream, but I like A pretty heavy smoke flavor and the spatchcocked chicken and the split turkey breast that I made didn't have any. At all. They were cooked perfectly, just didn't have any smoke.

Both were cooked indirect at about 350-375. I put 2 split pieces of mesquite (like a 12" long log split into quarters. I used 2 quarters and placed them on top of the lump near the center where I lit the lump). Do I need to use a lot more wood? Will I notice more smoke on meats that I cook at a lower temp for a lot longer? Or do you just simply not get that much smoke out of ceramics?
drummer0415
AG
How to get smoke in a ceramic: throw it in the trash where it belongs and use an offset stick burner instead.
TXAGFAN
AG
Use more or different wood and get it going early (wood chunks in middle where you light fire), poultry absorbs most of its smoky flavor early in cook.
TXAGFAN
AG
drummer0415 said:

How to get smoke in a ceramic: throw it in the trash where it belongs and use an offset stick burner instead.
Did a BGE steal your girlfriend or something?
BrazosDog02
AG
Yep dadgummit. Gotta use the stick burner....but you need some wood....from felling trees....pick it up with your pack mules and only cut wood with a two man Saw.

I don't understand how you don't get smoke flavor from a bge unless you aren't using charcoal and a couple pieces of chunks from your favorite wood. That's what I do and it not only produces a superior product over a traditional smoker, it also has better smoke flavor. See if that fixes you up.
lotsofhp
AG
Yeah the BGE definitely does not belong in the trash. I love this thing. Just want a little more smoke is all
Furlock Bones
AG
Mix wood chunks in with the charcoal.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Wood chunks and wood chips soaked for at least 30mins. Base layer of lump charcoal then layer of the mix wood above. Another layer of lump and then wood until you feel you have enough. Get the fire to temp. Throw some dry wood chips on and add the placesetter.

This is my routine and always have enough smoke.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
^
Yep
SA_Ag93
AG
I like to use a decent sized piece of split oak on the bottom, cover with lump and several pieces of apple...215 for first two hours seems to work well for a good smoke flavor & decent ring on brisket, pork butt, etc.
jt2hunt
AG
I get tons of smoke in an Xl bge

Wood chips soaked in water
I have a cat iron rectangle box and the lid has holes in it
Put chips in and place on top of coals
Money
Cancelled
AG
I sprinkle them all around after soaking and it smokes the whole cook.
TXAGFAN
AG
Are you using chunks or chips? I'm a big believer in chunks, never seen the point of using wet chips.
Log
AG
I get it up to temp with lump, then I throw a bunch of dry chips on top of the burning lump, immediately throw the meat on, and close the lid. It hammers it with smoke this way and has always turned out good. You do get a good eye burn going though, especially if you use mesquite.
jt2hunt
AG
Chips
Blue Smoke
Wood chunks should help but why would you wet them? I guess if you want steam that is Ok .
aTm2004
AG
I usually mix in 4 or 5 chunks with the lump so it burns throughout the cook. Never really had a problem with getting a smoke flavor or ring. Yeah, it's not as much as an offset, but I'd trade a lighter smoke flavor for freedom of manning a pit for 12+ hours. I've also noticed that a good lump also contributes. I really HEB's Central Market brand.
Aggie_3
Soaking doesn't do anything
aTm2004
AG
Aggie_3 said:

You're wrong [/Mormon]
Aggie_3
aTm2004 said:

Aggie_3 said:

You're wrong [/Mormon]

Nope it's been proven by multiple big BBQ folks it doesn't do anything
aTm2004
AG
Aggie_3 said:

aTm2004 said:

Aggie_3 said:

You're wrong [/Mormon]

powerbelly
AG
Aggie_3 said:

aTm2004 said:

Aggie_3 said:

You're wrong [/Mormon]

schmellba99
AG
I've had pretty good luck just mixing in some good sized pieces when I light the charcoal. Doesn't take much, even the large kamado style pits aren't that big.

Did a pork loin the other day that came out with a very good smoke ring and flavor, was pleasantly surprised given what I've read about the lack of both on a ceramic. I honestly think much of this is simply "a ceramic is not an offset" heresay.
Whens lunch
AG
Ok I'm sold.

Where can I buy a ceramic offset?
EFE
AG
Didn't some MIT or Harvard nerds build the "perfect" smoker via ceramic and a design that mimicked a nuclear cooling tower?
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

I don't understand how you don't get smoke flavor from a bge unless you aren't using charcoal and a couple pieces of chunks from your favorite wood. That's what I do and it not only produces a superior product over a traditional smoker, it also has better smoke flavor.

The chemistry of the interaction between proteins in meat and the smoke from products such as: burning wood of various types, smoldering wood, lump charcoal, regular charcoal, etc has been posted on here before. It is impossible for a ceramic smoker, in regard to a smoke ring and smoke flavor, to get a superior product to a wood "burning" smoker.

I own a ceramic smoker and love it for many reasons, but I'm never going to tell someone it smokes meat better than a traditional smoker.
lotsofhp
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

I don't understand how you don't get smoke flavor from a bge unless you aren't using charcoal and a couple pieces of chunks from your favorite wood. That's what I do and it not only produces a superior product over a traditional smoker, it also has better smoke flavor.

The chemistry of the interaction between proteins in meat and the smoke from products such as: burning wood of various types, smoldering wood, lump charcoal, regular charcoal, etc has been posted on here before. It is impossible for a ceramic smoker, in regard to a smoke ring and smoke flavor, to get a superior product to a wood "burning" smoker.

I own a ceramic smoker and love it for many reasons, but I'm never going to tell someone it smokes meat better than a traditional smoker.

If I would have done a better job researching this, I may have bought and offset instead of the egg. The smoke flavor is the whole point of BBQ'ing to me.

But, the BGE is still awesome. I think I can work on my technique and get more smoke and I'll be happy. The temperature range and control is just unbelievable.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Soak wood in water then place on coals prior to putting the protein on....
Col. A 1976
BigPuma
AG
also don't use ****ty mesquite
Caesar4
AG
I've been thinking about getting one of these:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS6YFIC/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w][/url]
Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 12"

• Produces smoke for up to 4 hours during cold smoking
  • Up to 4 hours while supplementing smoke at 225+ in your smoker or grill
  • Designed to supplement smoke in an electric smoker, but can be used in just about any smoker or grill
  • Cold smoke meat, fish, cheese, nuts and more
  • Can be used in a smoker or grill
agfan2013
AG
aggiedent said:

This. And it's why one day I want to have every type. I already have a stick burner and a propane grill, just need to add a ceramic. There's plenty of things I want to cook outside that don't need a lot of smoke flavor, a propane grill or BGE is great for that.

If your #1 priority in cooking is smoke flavor, offset should be your first choice. If convienience, speed, or some other factor is your goal, other styles can be far better options.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Aggie_3 said:

This is my routine so IDGAF. Howboh dah
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.